Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement baseplate for odd-shaped Fender DH-1 pickup

This is probably a long-shot, but ...

I have a Fender DH-1 humbucker that I would like to install on a guitar that does not have a pickguard, but the sides of the pickup cavity in that guitar are not wide enough to fit the extra-wide side tabs of the baseplate that is used on the Fender DH-1 humbucker.

See pic below for an idea of how wide the Fender DH-1 baseplate side tabs are (rightside pickup) in comparison to the "normal" width of side tabs on a typical humbucker baseplate (leftside pickup in the pic below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200305_191324.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	5853597

Unfortunately with the Fender DH-1 pickup, there is a complicating factor that prevents me from simply swapping out its baseplate for a standard aftermarket baseplate. Look at the following pics that shows that the Fender DH-1 pickup has 4 protrusions in each corner. At the end of each protrusion is the exit point for each of the four coil wires. So this DH-1 pickup requires a special baseplate that has matching holes to acoomodate those 4 protrusions passing through the bottom of the baseplate.

Name:	20200305_191343.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	5853595

Name:	20200305_191423.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	5853596

So, is there any aftermarket baseplate available that has the matching 4 holes in the corner, but has normal width side-tabs? *or* even a different Fender model humbucker pickup with a baseplate that has the same 4 holes but normal width side tabs that i could find inexpensively on the used market just so i could cannibalize its baseplate?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-05-2020, 06:53 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Replacement baseplate for odd-shaped Fender DH-1 pickup

I would just take a Dremel and grind the tabs down. I've done it several times to fit Duncans with big square tabs in my Ibanez which has small...uh.. tab holes. Heh works like a charm though and only takes a minute. Way easier than swapping a base plate.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
      I would just take a Dremel and grind the tabs down. I've done it several times to fit Duncans with big square tabs in my Ibanez which has small...uh.. tab holes. Heh works like a charm though and only takes a minute. Way easier than swapping a base plate.

I don't own a dremel but have been thinking of getting ome. Didn't realize a Dremel's motor would be powerful enough to cut into a thick metal like this. This has pushed me from "Maybe" to "Go Get One:. Thanks!
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
        I don't own a dremel but have been thinking of getting ome. Didn't realize a Dremel's motor would be powerful enough to cut into a thick metal like this. This has pushed me from "Maybe" to "Go Get One:. Thanks!
        No problem. They're great tools to have around, for the pickup tabs you need to use one of the hard stone grinding bits that look like this: go slow at first , be careful, DEFINITELY wear eye protection because bits will fly up in unpredictable directions. And it will eat away the stone, looks like you have a bit of material to remove so maybe get 2 just to make sure you have enough to do the job

P.s. mine isn't even a real "Dremel", it's a Canadian Tire MasterCraft brand rotary tool, I've had it for something like 15 years and it has hours and hours of use on it and still works perfect. So you don't necessarily have to buy the Dremel brand tool

Last edited by BeKindRewind; 03-05-2020, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Replacement baseplate for odd-shaped Fender DH-1 pickup

EVH pickups have a Fender baseplate with smaller gibson tabs. If you can find a dead one, you could swap the plate. The other way around it just get a standard Humbucker plate and drill the corner lead holes.
          Last edited by beaubrummels; 03-06-2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Trimming up the mounting tabs is going to be your best approach. A Dremel is a worthwhile investment for any DIY person. Grinding, cutting, sanding, shaping, beveling, de-burring, you name it. Outside of basic screwdrivers and pliers, it's probably the most-used tool in my toolbox.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
              No problem. They're great tools to have around, for the pickup tabs you need to use one of the hard stone grinding bits that look like this: go slow at first , be careful, DEFINITELY wear eye protection because bits will fly up in unpredictable directions. And it will eat away the stone, looks like you have a bit of material to remove so maybe get 2 just to make sure you have enough to do the job

P.s. mine isn't even a real "Dremel", it's a Canadian Tire MasterCraft brand rotary tool, I've had it for something like 15 years and it has hours and hours of use on it and still works perfect. So you don't necessarily have to buy the Dremel brand tool

Got my new Dremel kit in front of me, and reading through the manual's descriptions of the different accessories included, I am wondering why not use a cutting wheel type accessory instead? I am thinking cutting off the corner tabs is quicker than grinding each one down to nothing? Of course after performing the cuts, I will probably need to do a little follow-on sanding for any rough edges created during the cuts. Any experience doing the cutting approach?
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-29-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Make sure you use a vise, too. And eye protection.

But I'd try a Dremel before you try to swap the baseplate.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Make sure you use a vise, too. And eye protection.

But I'd try a Dremel before you try to swap the baseplate.
                  Aye - vise, eye protection.. plus gloves and long sleeves, too. My test cuts on that scrap piece of metal you see in the vice in the pic below showed there will be plenty of sparks. So I moved this operation off the workbench with its potentially flammable items surrounding it, to a wide open space on the basement floor.

Getting ready to commence. Will report back when I come back around from the dark side of the moon.

Name:	20200329_141518.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	5818572
                  Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-29-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Wow - went much quicker than I expected based on the prior test cuts on scrap metal. The baseplate pieces cut quickly and without sparks - so they must be a much softer metal.
                    Done in about 5 minutes.

So the Dremel #426 cutting wheel is confirmed as another viable option.

Name:	PicsArt_03-29-02.33.02.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	5818573

Comment

Working...
                    X