Used Peavey JSX - Should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Peavey JSX - Should I buy?

Hello everyone. I've been a lurker for some time but this is my first post.

I came across a used Peavey JSX for sale locally through craigslist. It's the 130 watt 2x12 combo version. I was able to test it briefly and I like the sound. The cleans are super clean, the gain is ridiculous, and it's fairly scooped. Kinda reminds me of a mesa.

Anyway, the seller acquired it recently for free from a guy who was looking to get rid of it because it was broken. The seller said that he fixes amps as a side business and that the amp had two bad pots - the noise gate pot and one of the active EQ pots. The seller fixed the pots and cleaned up the inside and said that the amp is in great shape, otherwise. But he is trying to sell it. . . . .

If it were me, I wouldn't give an amp away for free if it just needed some pots. So, I'm skeptical and wondering if there's perhaps more going on than what's being said. I don't know much about amps or electronics, but I'm wondering if there's a potential for some underlying issue that could have led to the pots failing?

He's asking $400. Seems like a good price, but it does have a history of failure, so I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger.

I'd love some opinions. Should I buy it?

Re: Used Peavey JSX - Should I buy?

That's a pretty good price for that amp. Think he'd come down to $350?

I'll let someone more knowledgeable than myself chime in about the issues you mentioned, but I don't blame you for being a little hesitant with a story like that. Then again, most of us buy used gear without really knowing anything about the item's backstory, so there's that.

Comment

I hear what you're saying about the backstory. The seller seems like a nice guy and I appreciate the fact that he was seemingly honest about the repair. I'm inclined to believe him I just thought I'd get some opinions to help avoid buying a dud.

I know that pots can fail, but my understanding is that often they let you know that they're failing, i.e. dead spots, they'll get intermittent, etc. I don't know if the active EQ changes this though. I don't know if a failed pot would equal loss of sound or something that would cause someone to dump it for free. So, two dead pots on the amp makes me wonder if there's more to it than just the pots. But maybe I'm just paranoid.

Comment

Stuff happens. Forum bro Rand-O gave me a Yamaha Fifty 410 because the pots were dirty. The story is possible.

Comment

Seems plausible and its a killer amp
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

It's a sweet amp maybe you can get that price down a little further indicating that you're wary of the amps history and will be having to pay to get checked out by someone professional? Or just pass
            The good condition ones aren't much more and I would probably like that amp better as a head and cab if it were me

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
              The good condition ones aren't much more and I would probably like that amp better as a head and cab if it were me
              Yeah, I don't have a cab right now, so that would be an added expense and I'm on a budget. But I certainly had this thought too after I read that the combo weighs 90lbs!

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Stuff happens. Forum bro Rand-O gave me a Yamaha Fifty 410 because the pots were dirty. The story is possible.
              Wow, I must be a hoarder when it comes to gear. I have so much crap that I never even use.

Thanks for all the responses though, everyone. I rarely venture into the used market, so I'm always a little hesitant when I do.

Comment

As far as the amp itself, my brother has a JSX combo and loves it. But it is LOUD and heavy. I tell him to get stronger and if it’s too loud, you’re too old.

For $350 I’d buy it all day. Definitely agree with the above about having a tech look it over which adds to the cost of the amp.
                Last edited by Travis; 03-06-2020, 07:59 PM.
                Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I bought a used JSX 212 in 2018, which had seen weekly use since 2007 in a church. The church was converting to Kempers. They were asking $400 on Craigs for a couple months, then there was a price drop because it suddenly powered on but had no output. I picked the JSX up. The issue ended up being one cracked power tube and the 2 amp fuse that went when the tube cracked. Due to the socket the cracked tube was in, I was able to quickly determine it was not a socket issue using 2 of the old tubes and the half power switch. So in my case, I have a 13 year old JSX 212 that has no issues beyond the expected scheduled maintenance. No backstory for it as it continues to work fine, but obviously it lived in a stable environment.

As far as the JSX in general, I have owned a Triple XXX full stack since 2008. To me the Triple XXX has the best clean tone I have ever found. However the Triple XXX crunch and ultra channels are basically the same circuit. One has to dial in different gains/tones between them and the EQ is shared between to the two channels. So one can sometimes have to adjust the tone controls between both channels for a while to get the desired results. After a few years I really wanted a JSX as the clean and ultra channels are mostly Triple XXX, but the crunch channel is based on the Peavey Classic 50 lead channel. There is a lot of difference between the JSX crunch and ultra channels tone shaping and EQ by design. Still I had this fear that the JSX clean channel would not be quite as clean as the Triple XXX or the JSX speakers would impact the clean. I know now this was an irrational fear.

Since I acquired my JSX 212, it is my favorite amplifier. I have even been trying to sell my Triple XXX. The JSX gives me the clean channel I want, the crunch channel can take the place of my Classics and the ultra channel gives me modern day gain. The JSX is 1960's tones thru today's tones in one amp.

My only problem with the JSX 212 combo was it weighs in a little over 85 pounds and would be difficult to transport. Thanks to Mincer for recommending a cart that will solve that for me when the time comes.

If you want a versatile 3 channel amplifier and the weight does not bother you, I say buy it.
                  I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Request an extended play test.

And have a tech on hand for the rest of the pots if/when they go.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have seen people trash equipment for lesser issues (fuses, tubes) because they just didn't understand basic amp maintenance. Also just because two pots went bad it doesn't mean the rest are bound to fail. There are lot of factors that cause a pot to fail including how much or how little the pot is used.

Comment

I’ve had my JSX 212 for years. Bought it from a guy who unbeknownst to me had it set at 4 ohms internal load instead of 16. I bought it and got it home and ran it correctly, then later had to replace the transformer.

Yes it’s super heavy and loud and I actually hardly play it anymore but I’ll never sell it because it’s an amazing amp. I’ll record with with it.

I agree try for $350 because you may have to invest some repair later. I see them all time around for sub $500 range

Comment

Working...
                        X