banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to make a call as to which head I will sell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to make a call as to which head I will sell.

Have 4 heads right now the 2 PRS heads (MT 15 and the Archon 50) my Boogie DC 5 and the old Carvin X 50. Also own 2 Combos ( Zinky Blue Velvet and a Boogie Subway Rocket). I simply am out of room as have all my gear here at the house in a converted office / Music room so one of the heads need to go. Have though the most about selling ether the Carvin or the Boogie but have had also considered selling the MT 15 now that I have the Anchon and taking the Boogie to my church. The Boogie is better built and much quieter. Both the Boogie and Carvin are great sounding well built heads with vastly different personalities. The Carvin is a unique one year model and has a modded Marshal vibe which is a tone I don't have right now without it. The Boogie is a great amp but the new Archion covers the same territory and frankly is just better in every way. Cleans are bigger rounder and more forgiving on the Archon. The crunches are similar with the Boogie having a little more versatility but side by side the Archon has a harmonic content that just is breathtaking a 3d effect and depth to the tone unlike anything I have ever played.
    Wild card is the Boogie will bring more $ than the others and is replaceable. The Carvin is unique and would not be easily replaceable as there are only a handful of these 1991 only EL 34 powered Hot Rod Mod 50 heads out there as no more than a couple hundred were built. The MT 15 is really a cool amp with great tones but is very hard to control at low volumes and the loop is really sensitive to any noise. It however would likely be the easiest to sell of the 3 and do I really need it now that I have the Archon?
    Opinions?
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-07-2020, 09:20 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Trying to make a call as to which head I will sell.

I'd say the Carvin, just because I don't like Carvin. I don't know why.

Ok, the MT15 - the Archon does everything that the MT does but better and easier.

But really, the DC-5 - for the same reasons. The Archon does it better AND can make you more money.

So yeah, the DC-5.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    -Greg

Guitars:
    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Boogie combo

You can get there with almost everything else
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

You could sell your soul to the devil, and buy several more amps instead.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          You could sell your soul to the devil, and buy several more amps instead.
          The sell my soul will pass on but if I had the room---. There's that KT 88 Anniversary Shevia head with Reverb and a PRS 2 channel C head and ---.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Agreed...I'd sell the Boogie head first in this case.

Comment

I think you already made up your mind - sell the Boogie.

Comment

I know you love the MT15 but if the Archon can cover same ground, only better, then that's the one that needs to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                  I know you love the MT15 but if the Archon can cover same ground, only better, then that's the one that needs to go.
                  Have the MT 15 here at the house and trying to tweak it a little. 2 questions to answer can I tweak the DC 5 to where it's close to the MT 15 on the high gain tones? Second can I get the noise floor of the MT 15 down a little. The answers to these 2 questions will determine which one of these 2 go and which one stays. The Carvin has tones that I don't have without it and the Archon is absolutely not going any where so it's now between these 2.
                  Guitars

Comment

Sounds like the Boogie DC-5 and PRS MT-15 both need to go.

With all the vids you've posted (great playing and tone btw!) seems you can cover a lot of ground with the Zinky combo, and if the Archon has that 3D quality to the gain, the Carvin will get you the Marshally gain sounds.

So ditch the DC-5 and MT-15 and you still have the better flavour of PRS gain, two high gain monster heads, two versatile combos including a Boogie. All your bases right there buddy.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                    • G&L Tribute Comanche
                    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                      So ditch the DC-5 and MT-15 and you still have the better flavour of PRS gain, two high gain monster heads, two versatile combos including a Boogie. All your bases right there buddy.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                      Would agree with you here if not for one thing. Ether the DC 5 or the MT will go to my Church and stay. That way I set up my rig once then don't have to transport it every Sunday. The Archon is the amp that stays at the house for certain. The Carvin I could not replace less than 200 of them likely were built. That leaves one of the other 2 heads stays one goes. Waffling on the 2 but leaning on letting the MT 15 go. Reason is there is absolutely nothing it does the Archon doesn't do better. The DC 5 I would take to the Church and leave as it sounds great is stone cold reliable and dead quiet. Don't have to do anything right now and with these shelter in place orders have been using the MT 15 with my AXTrack ISO cab as a super small light grab and go plug and play rig for livestream as of late.
                      Last edited by Ascension; 03-26-2020, 08:21 PM.
                      Guitars

Comment

Sell the MT-15. They’re readily available if you ever change you mind and want to get another one in the future.
                        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post
                          Sell the MT-15. They’re readily available if you ever change you mind and want to get another one in the future.
                          That's where I am leaning Travis. Right now I have the MT 15 set up as a silent stage grab and go super portable rig with this mess going on. I primarily am a worship player and have chances right now to do liverstream or prerecorded sets with some folk I know. The MT 15 with my AxTrack iso cab and a small pedal board makes a super portable lightweight great sounding grab and go silent stage rig for this. For now I'm keeping it but after this is over will reevaluate as may keep them all. Have the Boogie set up on stage at my church now so---.
                          Last edited by Ascension; 03-28-2020, 11:12 PM.
                          Guitars

Comment

Working...
                          X