Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want a 5 string Jazz

Default Re: I want a 5 string Jazz

I use a set of Model Js as well. I love 'em. The bass doesn't sound like a classic J, though...and that was the point. I have my Fender '64 reissue for that sound. The classic tone is nice to have on hand, but it isn't my favorite sound, so I don't need multiples of it. So on my other Js, I go for different things. The third one has only a Fralin neck pickup (no bridge pickup), mostly vintage style, but overwound and with staggered poles.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

I swapped out my QP (which was in my '76 P for decades) for Model P a few years ago.
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Ultimate Tone Slacker DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    So ur gonna get a 5 or a 6? What music would you play on it? I kinda want a Bass VI.
    What music do you play bass on? That music.

Iíve been playing 5 strings exclusively since 1987.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Member

I switch from 4 to 5 strings 5-6 years ago, it was very easy. Now I like 5-strings better, not only because of the low B but mainly because my right hand is having the same feel on the E string as the A-D-G strings, the E string is more controlled. It's fun to have a lower D and C note on hand and also easier to transpose songs.
    I bought a Squier VM Jazz 5 because I wanted a passive J in natural finish, bound maple neck with black block inlays and the Fender Professional was out of my budget. If you shop a bit you can find a really good one as I did.

Having a hard time deciding if I'd rather have a low B or high C, so I think I'm gonna skip the 5 and go for a 6.

OH THE DOUBLE THICK GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    What music do you play bass on? That music.

I’ve been playing 5 strings exclusively since 1987.
    I can't get into anything besides guitar and keys these days. A bass 6 would probably be cool cuz I could play my guitar patterns on it but it would probably just sit. Trying to get into singing and songwriting but it's just so annoying.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 03-19-2020 at 01:18 AM.
    Turning around to the
    Next set of lies
    Wondering what will come next

I can't get into anything besides guitar and keys these days.
    I picked up my guitar the other day for the first time in a few months. It felt really small, and the strings were way too close together

Ultimate Tone Slacker DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

I can't get into anything besides guitar and keys these days. A bass 6 would probably be cool cuz I could play my guitar patterns on it but it would probably just sit. Trying to get into singing and songwriting but it's just so annoying.
    I have always played bass in bands, but at home played guitar and keyboards as well. And the last few years Iím mostly playing guitar. I write on guitar and didnít want to teach someone the parts. lol

I just joined a band playing bass. First time in about 4 years. Ironically the other two members are the drummer and bass player from my other band. That bassist is really a guitarist, so our roles are switched.

In this band the guitarist tunes down to drop C#. Playing those riffs were awkward on the 5-string since he plays a lot of low C#s. So I tuned the bass up a step to C#-F#-B-E-A. Itís interesting because Iím spending a lot more time on the 5th string, and I rarely touch the 1st string. I have a .040 - .120 set on, but next string change Iím going lighter (.035 - .110). I think Iím going to string up my Ď73 Rickenbacker 4001 with the bottom 4 strings for this band since I donít need the high strung.

I had wanted a six string (BEADGC) at one point. But after playing a few I was repairing I lost interest. The high C string wasnít that useful, and really doesnít give you all that many extra notes. I suppose it makes it easier to play higher notes without switching positions. Back when I was playing prog rock and fusion I probably would have used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH THE DOUBLE THICK GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar

Ya I don't think the high C sounds that epic for electric. I think it would sound insane on upright for plucked and especially bow. I like just playing the concert notes even if I'm in a different tuning. I've been playing in D standard exclusively on my guitars and bass since about 2017 and have adapted to where I know all the notes and can play with records and others easily in concert pitch. You could always nerd out and focus on chords and harmony on the 6 I suppose.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 03-20-2020 at 01:19 AM.
    Turning around to the
    Next set of lies
    Wondering what will come next

I had a Warwick. It didnít play or sound like my Jazz. I traded both in and got a G&L JB2. It plays much better and warmer than either one. If you want a 5 string, the Jazz isnít the one. It has a huge uncomfortable neck for me. Ibanez makes much more comfortable 5 strings.

The best 5 string Jazz-type I've ever heard and played was a Dingwall. I think the B string was 36" scale or something, with fanned frets. Absolutely massive B string that was actually super balanced to play.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Maybe someday I’ll get to go out and play a bunch of 5s and see what I like. Probably gonna stick with 34”, since I’m going high C rather than low B.

A fanned fret that went from like 33” or 34” down to 31” would be cool for that.