I want a 5 string Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want a 5 string Jazz

Hey dg27... I see you have Model P and Model J pickups. Is the J similar to the P?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Yes: I love the Model J.

Bridge is growly if I want it, no noise; neck has plenty of low end without being harsh: comparable to the Model P.

Great pickup.
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
      '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
      '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
      '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Model Js do what they were designed to do: provide P tone in a J pickup form, to state it simply. Plus they give you adjustable pole pieces, which is a huge benefit on a Jazz Bass, a model that suffers from very bad string to string volume imbalance (booming loud E and G strings with a weak A and D). The Model J is a J pickup for people who don’t like J pickups.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
          The Model J is a J pickup for people who don’t like J pickups.
          I guess I'm one of them, because I love my Model Js...
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

I have the Model J set in my Warwick. I agree, they're awesome. My P bass has an EMG in it now, but I'm thinking I might like a Model P better.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I use a set of Model Js as well. I love 'em. The bass doesn't sound like a classic J, though...and that was the point. I have my Fender '64 reissue for that sound. The classic tone is nice to have on hand, but it isn't my favorite sound, so I don't need multiples of it. So on my other Js, I go for different things. The third one has only a Fralin neck pickup (no bridge pickup), mostly vintage style, but overwound and with staggered poles.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I swapped out my QP (which was in my '76 P for decades) for Model P a few years ago.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  So ur gonna get a 5 or a 6? What music would you play on it? I kinda want a Bass VI.
                  What music do you play bass on? That music. [emoji16]

I’ve been playing 5 strings exclusively since 1987.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I switch from 4 to 5 strings 5-6 years ago, it was very easy. Now I like 5-strings better, not only because of the low B but mainly because my right hand is having the same feel on the E string as the A-D-G strings, the E string is more controlled. It's fun to have a lower D and C note on hand and also easier to transpose songs.
                    I bought a Squier VM Jazz 5 because I wanted a passive J in natural finish, bound maple neck with black block inlays and the Fender Professional was out of my budget. If you shop a bit you can find a really good one as I did.

Comment

Having a hard time deciding if I'd rather have a low B or high C, so I think I'm gonna skip the 5 and go for a 6.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                        What music do you play bass on? That music. [emoji16]

I’ve been playing 5 strings exclusively since 1987.
                        I can't get into anything besides guitar and keys these days. A bass 6 would probably be cool cuz I could play my guitar patterns on it but it would probably just sit. Trying to get into singing and songwriting but it's just so annoying.
                        Last edited by Clint 55; 03-19-2020, 02:18 AM.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

I can't get into anything besides guitar and keys these days.
                          I picked up my guitar the other day for the first time in a few months. It felt really small, and the strings were way too close together

Comment

I can't get into anything besides guitar and keys these days. A bass 6 would probably be cool cuz I could play my guitar patterns on it but it would probably just sit. Trying to get into singing and songwriting but it's just so annoying.
                            I have always played bass in bands, but at home played guitar and keyboards as well. And the last few years I’m mostly playing guitar. I write on guitar and didn’t want to teach someone the parts. lol

I just joined a band playing bass. First time in about 4 years. Ironically the other two members are the drummer and bass player from my other band. That bassist is really a guitarist, so our roles are switched.

In this band the guitarist tunes down to drop C#. Playing those riffs were awkward on the 5-string since he plays a lot of low C#s. So I tuned the bass up a step to C#-F#-B-E-A. It’s interesting because I’m spending a lot more time on the 5th string, and I rarely touch the 1st string. I have a .040 - .120 set on, but next string change I’m going lighter (.035 - .110). I think I’m going to string up my ‘73 Rickenbacker 4001 with the bottom 4 strings for this band since I don’t need the high strung.

I had wanted a six string (BEADGC) at one point. But after playing a few I was repairing I lost interest. The high C string wasn’t that useful, and really doesn’t give you all that many extra notes. I suppose it makes it easier to play higher notes without switching positions. Back when I was playing prog rock and fusion I probably would have used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ya I don't think the high C sounds that epic for electric. I think it would sound insane on upright for plucked and especially bow. I like just playing the concert notes even if I'm in a different tuning. I've been playing in D standard exclusively on my guitars and bass since about 2017 and have adapted to where I know all the notes and can play with records and others easily in concert pitch. You could always nerd out and focus on chords and harmony on the 6 I suppose.
                              Last edited by Clint 55; 03-20-2020, 02:19 AM.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

I had a Warwick. It didn’t play or sound like my Jazz. I traded both in and got a G&L JB2. It plays much better and warmer than either one. If you want a 5 string, the Jazz isn’t the one. It has a huge uncomfortable neck for me. Ibanez makes much more comfortable 5 strings.

Comment

Working...
                                X