Loud Hiss Driving me Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Hiss Driving me Nuts

I don't play much these days, let alone plug into an amp. But today I did...

I played my Randall RG1003H and EVH LBX through a Marshall 4x12 cab with various boost pedals in front. There is a very loud hiss when not playing (I'm sure it's there when I play but just can't hear it). I am playing with a ton of gain, and it's much louder with the boost pedal on, but people play like this all the time without all this noise.

* I tried 3 boost pedals (a Tubescreamer, Boss OD and Fortin Grind)
    * I tried 2 heads and it happens with both (a sold state Randall and a tube EVH)
    * I tried a Noise Gate in front of the boost
    * Tried different cables
    * Tried different guitar
    * Tried pedals with batteries

All to no avail.

I am playing in he "home office" in very close proximity to a PC, computer speakers, remote cordless phone. I turned off the PC, the amps still makes the same racket.

Thoughts? A bunch of stray electrical garbage from the office equipment? Bad outlet/ground? Something else?

Thanks!
    Dave
    Last edited by PoorMan; 03-08-2020, 10:47 AM.
    Originally posted by Frankly
    PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
    Originally posted by Diocletian
    Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Re: Loud Hiss Driving me Nuts

Is it there when you're playing or just when you stop and mute the strings?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      Is it there when you're playing or just when you stop and mute the strings?

I'm pretty certain it's constant.
      Last edited by PoorMan; 03-07-2020, 03:38 PM.
      Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Just wondering because I tend to play with some serious gain and I notice hiss, but only when I'm not playing. And it goes away as soon as I turn the distortion off.
        One of my amps has an onboard gate that's quite good. If it's adjusted right it tends to shut the signal off as soon as I mute the strings. That amp actually doesn't have hiss at high gain levels, but without the gate it can go into uncontrolled feedback quite easily.

Comment

Tried different cables, put batteries in the pedals, tried a different guitar--same results.

Can't think of anything else to try except moving to a different room and different outlet.

Comment

Does the noise go away when you roll back the guitar volume? When you roll back the boost volume?
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I've never heard anyone use a lot of gain and a boost and not have hiss. The amp and boost will still generate noise after the gate.

Comment

Try a noise gate in the effects loop. Most of the time that type of noise is in the preamp and a loop is normally running just before the PI to the power stage. Should help however the gate may wind up running high enough to make slam on and off abruptly but is worth a try.
                Last edited by Ascension; 03-07-2020, 08:13 PM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

No, it's just as loud. Even with the guitar unplugged.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                    I've never heard anyone use a lot of gain and a boost and not have hiss. The amp and boost will still generate noise after the gate.
                    understood, but it's quite loud. I don't think a band could play a gig like this.

Comment

Keep playing.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
                        I don't play much these days, let alone plug into an amp. But today I did...

I played my Randall RG1003H and EVH LBX through a Marshall 4x12 cab with various boost pedals in front. There is a very loud hiss when not playing (I'm sure it's there when I play but just can't hear it). I am playing with a ton of gain, and it's much louder with the boost pedal on, but people play like this all the time without all this noise.

* I tried 3 boost pedals (a Tubescreamer, Boss OD and Fortin Grind) and they all make the same hiss
                        * I tried 2 heads and it happens with both (a sold state Randall and a tube EVH)
                        * I tried a Noise Gate in front of the boost, makes no difference

I am playing in "the office" in very close proximity to a PC, computer speakers, remote cordless phone. I turned off the PC, the amps still makes the same racket.

Thoughts? A bunch of stray electrical garbage from the office equipment? Bad outlet/ground? Something else?

Thanks!
                        Dave
                        guitar amps aren't optimized for performance in late-90s style home offices.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I picked up a cable yesterday that was utter garbage. The buzz was about 10x worse with that cable vs the "cheapie" that came with my Silvertone made by Samick. We're talking major buzz, uncontrolled feedback whwn I got close to the amp, etc...

So I go to return it and the guy plugs it into some super nice $800 amp and a $1000 guitar and says it sounds fine to him...right up until he leaned over to mess with the amp and the feedback started. I then explained to him that I don't have $1800 worth of gear, I have a 10w practice amp and an inexpensive guitar, and all I know is it dont work with my stuff. And the cable I have doesn't have feedback no matter how much gain I use. So he tries to swap it for another one of the same make. I kindly told him no thanks, I'll go get one somewhere else. That's all he had on the wall. Same make, different lengths.

Turns out that the cable he sold me for $14.50 sells for about $2 on Amazon. The thing is trash. Nothing protecting the bare wires and connections from touching the metal housing it was in. The sleeve that was suppose to do that just rattled freely inside the case of the plug. Unshielded wires. My cable made no noise playing clean but that one did. I get no feedback with mine but that one is uncontrollable.

He eventually caved and gave me my money but that just left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand he's a new business and he's gotta make profit to stay open but a 700% increase on something that bad is bs.
                          Last edited by Wound_Up; 03-07-2020, 11:52 PM.
                          JC
                          -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                          -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                          -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                          -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                          -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                          -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

I would think that this is some gain staging issue. You might be hitting the input of the amp with a lot of gain, and it is compressing the noise that is there even further. How much gain are you using before you turn the pedal on? What is the noise like then? What is the gain and volume setting on your pedal like?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I would think that this is some gain staging issue. You might be hitting the input of the amp with a lot of gain, and it is compressing the noise that is there even further. How much gain are you using before you turn the pedal on? What is the noise like then? What is the gain and volume setting on your pedal like?
                              I am playing with a LOT of gain. I'll use the Randall in this example. The Randall is on the hot channel at 3 o'clock. Preamp volume is about 3 o'clock also, with master volume is low...maybe 8 o'clock.

Noise without the boost is considerably quieter, but still present and too loud IMO. The boost is a Fortin Grind with just one knob at 3 o'clock.

I am using a Boss NS-2 and realized I am not using it optimally, so I am going to get a couple cables and try running it Guitar > Noise Suppressor > Boost > Noise Suppressor > Amp. Hopefully that will help.

Comment

Working...
                              X