Guitar synth / organ pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitar synth / organ pedals

Wow...that's too bad man. I do love the tones I get from mine (a lot more than anything I got from an Axe FX II I spent a day messing around with last year..thought that lacked weight and presence ). Did you try messing with the Global EQ? I've set mine up with the option to switch it on and off with any of my patches & it definitely has a big effect on presence/weight etc although I use it to taste ..most patches (and all my tone cap's) are fine without it ..especially in a mix...but the difference is there if I want it..

It's a common complaint with GE300 which they will probably address in the next firmware update, but personally the pitch shifter works fine for me ..at least for my purposes (not using it for bass guitar simulation..so I can't comment on that)...but I've used it to turn my guitar down a few steps for a project I'm working on & I think it works perfectly for that... a hell of a lot better than my old Boss GT6's or Whammy II...tracks great/no glitches/wavering etc..

But yeah, unfortunate...hope you find something else that works' for you
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
      Wow...that's too bad man. I do love the tones I get from mine (a lot more than anything I got from an Axe FX II I spent a day messing around with last year..thought that lacked weight and presence ). Did you try messing with the Global EQ? I've set mine up with the option to switch it on and off with any of my patches & it definitely has a big effect on presence/weight etc although I use it to taste ..most patches (and all my tone cap's) are fine without it ..especially in a mix...but the difference is there if I want it..

It's a common complaint with GE300 which they will probably address in the next firmware update, but personally the pitch shifter works fine for me ..at least for my purposes (not using it for bass guitar simulation..so I can't comment on that)...but I've used it to turn my guitar down a few steps for a project I'm working on & I think it works perfectly for that... a hell of a lot better than my old Boss GT6's or Whammy II...tracks great/no glitches/wavering etc..

Yes, I had found and tried out the Global EQ.

It's not a problem that the GE300 didn't work out for me. I just return to my BOSS MS3 + individual pedals setup which I was already happy with tone wise. The appeal of the GE300 for me was the potential benefit of an all-in-one solution, so less cable connections and smaller footprint.

My BOSS MS-3 setup will actually still use some Mooer modelers (i.e. the Radar pedal for cab/mic/power amp sims and the 006 US Classic Deluxe Preamp pedal for clean amp tones) but no modeling for the distortion tones - those will remain solid-state/analog type stompboxes.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post

That Global EQ video has a funny little mistake. I am sure its due to the frequency values chosen not being real-world values but just random values for the purpose of the viewer seeing that the user can set those values. Cuz the frequency value of 5000 kHz chosen for Hi Gain is in conflict with the Hi Pass Filter frequency being set to only 4000 kHz. Lol.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I'm no studio whizz & as a rule I pay ZERO attention to numbers (don't get them anyway ) ..always set things up with my ears..mess with stuff till I think it sounds right. That approach worked with the GE300 just as well as with anything else out there
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

You can have EQs and filters cross over each other like that. The sound comes through. It just results in an odd peak or Q factor.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              You can have EQs and filters cross over each other like that. The sound comes through. It just results in an odd peak or Q factor.
              True, but given the context of the type of video it was featured in, I am pretty sure it was a mistake vs intentional.

Comment

Not an actual synth pedal, but the other day i managed to make my guitar sound like an analogue sequencer the other day. Ran a fuzz pedal to simulate a square wave, into a wah for a filter, then into a POG, and finally used different kinds of modulation at the end. Palm muting different melodic lines reminded me a lot of On the Run by Pink Floyd
                sigpic
                Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                Dunlop Crybaby
                MXR Custom Comp
                GFS Twin Overdrive
                Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                Blackstar HT-DISTX
                Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

EHX POG2 do really good job I think and very versatile being excellent tracking polyphonic octaver as well. 8 Presets to easy switch, and envelope control as well.

Not all bad simulating a 12-string like on Tambourin Man style of picking notes.

Comment

I'd love a pedal that could simulate a bass really well. I use octavers, and guitar synth, but the synth is pretty clunky to gig with (though it works the best). I haven't tried a POG or any of the EH pedals for this.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I'd love a pedal that could simulate a bass really well. I use octavers, and guitar synth, but the synth is pretty clunky to gig with (though it works the best). I haven't tried a POG or any of the EH pedals for this.
                      There are bass sounds in the Boss SY-1. Only had a cursory glance at them though.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                        There are bass sounds in the Boss SY-1. Only had a cursory glance at them though.
                        Hmm, I will have to investigate that.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post

Aren't they Bass synth sounds?
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

As a stand-alone stompbox, the Digitech Harmony Man with Pitch Shift set to -12 is a very good bass tone. Not glitchy or warbly. I am getting ready to put my Harmony Man up for sale because I just transitioned over to the multi-effects in the BOSS MS-3 and that does as good a job - but the footprint of the MS-3 is much bigger since its an effects loop switcher plus multi-effects unit.

[Edit:in the MS-3, the Octaver effect set to -12 steps does not track well, but luckily the Pitch Shufter set to -12 steps does. In the MS-3 the fidelity is boosted by also turning on the Limiter effect and using the EQ settings to cut bass, a little mids and boost the Highs.]
                            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-14-2020, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I've always wondered if a 7 string guitar with a really thick 7th string tuned down to low E or B would work better for this.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                Aren't they Bass synth sounds?
                                I'm pretty sure there are a couple of dark bass settings that are more akin to bass guitar sounds rather than synth, although it's not an area I've really explored.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                                X