Guitar synth / organ pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitar synth / organ pedals

Well..I don't have any hang-up's with Mooer but I know what you mean. Much as I love a nice cheap Chinese knock-off pedal, I've never bought a JOYO for that very same reason (..and yeas I've bought Vitoos & Amoon pedals)
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Well Mooer was found guilty of copying Electro Harmonix software right down to the (C) Copyright EHX line.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Well Mooer was found guilty of copying Electro Harmonix software right down to the (C) Copyright EHX line.
        Rookies...
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ha. is that true?
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Ha!

Lest anyone think this sort of copying is a dumb Chinese rip-off tactic . . . I work with a lot of very expensive computer networking and routing equipment. Some of our stuff is built by Cisco routing systems. Some of our stuff is built by the company started by a bunch of disgruntled Cisco routing system employees . . . Arista routers. Both sets of routers are great. Both sets of routers use the exact same command line arguments to do things. Including typos. (Whoopsies!) There have been lawsuits back and forth between the two companies for years.

:P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              Ha!

Lest anyone think this sort of copying is a dumb Chinese rip-off tactic . . . I work with a lot of very expensive computer networking and routing equipment. Some of our stuff is built by Cisco routing systems. Some of our stuff is built by the company started by a bunch of disgruntled Cisco routing system employees . . . Arista routers. Both sets of routers are great. Both sets of routers use the exact same command line arguments to do things. Including typos. (Whoopsies!) There have been lawsuits back and forth between the two companies for years.

:P
              Ha, that’s funny -didn't know about the typos -Yeah I use both. I do a lot of uncompressed Media LANs for production studios and post houses and Arista is better for than because the specialize in the professional media space more, but Cisco has some next gen IPFM switch stuff coming like NAT and transcoding on each port and other stuff that only people like Embrionix are selling right now.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                Ha. is that true?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, dumb, or maybe they just did'nt care & thought no one would bother to come after them as usual (more likely) but at the end of the day ..so what? Just because you're clever enough to change a pair of resisitor's or the odd cap in your $300 boutique Klone or green overdrive does'nt really make it any less of a rip-off in an industry that's largely based on ripping off each other's stuff. I mean ..lets not kid ourselves...there's not much keen innovation going on anywhere

..you've had American companies take it even further in the sense of putting $20 Joyo PCB's (with the imprinted "JOYO" logo blacked out with black paint) in their boutique line of $$$ pedals which everyone has then reviewed and showered with accolades for their "awesome tone" & cork sniffer's everywhere have gone crazy buying them and lovin' the living hell out of them .

Chinese OEM pedal makers on Alibaba will, as an attractive option, put "Made In USA" (or 'Timbuktu' ..if you should so desire) on any order you buy in bulk from the US/Europe...so who know's where that gorgeous/incredible sounding hot new pedal you just bought was actually made :

So yeah, bottom line, this is a bull**** industry like any other and nothing outrage's or shock's me at all. Certainly does'nt hold me back from buying whatever I want to due to so-called "moral considerations" (lol, I'm many things but I'm no hypocrite).

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                    Mooer had a couple of mono synth pedals that were relatively cheap that I had my eye on when they came out ..turns out they'd ripped off EHX so they got sued & the pedals were discontinued and that was that

But yeah part of the reason why I bought my Mooer GE300 was because I wanted to start doing some stuff with it's onboard guitar synth..nothing crazy..just backing chords/arps/melodies etc. It's synth engine is up there with the Boss SY300 in terms of sounds/features. ..though it's apparently not a rip-off this time

Truth is the whole poly synth thing is pretty complex to figure out/program etc but it sounds pretty sweet & it's been fun messing around with presets, which is what I'm going to stick to ..at least for now

Had the synth turned down low in the mix here..'cuz I did'nt really know what I was doing & it got pretty messy in spots..but this is the sort of stuff I'm planning to get a proper hang of/ use it for

I did hear that they (Mooer) were due to come out with a poly-synth pedal based on the GE300's synth engine...
                    Have you used the Tone Capture feature on your Mooer GE-300? How well does it work? For anyone else wondering what that is, it seems to make an IR of a particulae pedal, guitar, or amp that you connect to the GE300 , so you can model that piece of gear when using a different piece of gear later. For example hypothetically, after you Tone Capture your Stratocaster, you should be able to plug your Les Paul into the GE300 and make that Les Paul sound like your Strat.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-20-2020, 01:26 PM.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Yeah, I've used it and it's awesome (pretty much spot on really) for amps & pedals. I have'nt really tried it on guitar's though ..just once when I tone captured my 7 string Ibanez Saber's tone with my 6 string Jackson Dinky. It did'nt make the Jackson sound like a seven string though it did get the extra girth/depth/presence of the 7-string ..minus the low B..

.ie..the two guitar's which ordinanrly don't sound similar at all, sounded practically the same (except for the extra bottom B string) after the tone capture. So I guess it would work pretty well with other guitar's. I should give that a go one of these days

Youtube

Comment

Yeah, I've used it and it's awesome (pretty much spot on really) for amps & pedals. I have'nt really tried it on guitar's though ..just once when I tone captured my 7 string Ibanez Saber's tone with my 6 string Jackson Dinky. It did'nt make the Jackson sound like a seven string though it did get the extra girth/depth/presence of the 7-string ..minus the low B..

.ie..the two guitar's which ordinanrly don't sound similar at all, sounded practically the same (except for the extra bottom B string) after the tone capture. So I guess it would work pretty well with other guitar's. I should give that a go one of these days
                        Ok, that's how i would expect it to function: wouldn't transpose a different tuning from one guitar to another, but it would replicate the timbre of first instrument to the other. Glad to hear that it actually works well. I have a GE300 on order, looking forward to playing around with that Tone Capture feature.
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-21-2020, 12:02 AM.
                        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Yeah, exactly..that's it in a nutshell.

Sweet! It's a great unit. I'm having a lot of fun with mine. Pretty sure you'll love the Tone Capture. It works extremely well

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                            you should be able to plug your Les Paul into the GE300 and make that Les Paul sound like your Strat.
                            My god - is nothing sacred any more....
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              My god - is nothing sacred any more....
                              Only the methodology is new... the practice of trying to make one guitar sound like another has been en vogue in the marketplace since at least the mid 1990s with units like Roland's VG-8.

Comment

Yeah, exactly..that's it in a nutshell.

Sweet! It's a great unit. I'm having a lot of fun with mine. Pretty sure you'll love the Tone Capture. It works extremely well
                                So I received my Mooer GE-300 earlier this week and I spent a few days evaluating it. Ultimately for me, it was a non-keeper. It was going to be a tough-sell for me anyways from the get-go because the sound of all distortion amp modelers I have tried before this one in the below $1500 price range, have had this trait that my ears pick up on as not being fully there/present, and I found this to be true in the GE300 as well - again, at least to my ears. Another letdown - this one more suprising because of how powerful the processor is on this unit - is that when i set the the pitch shifter to -12 steps to emulate a bass guitar, the tone had a tremolo effect type of modulation to it. You don't notice it much when you're playing notes one after another, but it was really noticeable when you allowed any note to ring out for a second or more. Trying the alternative of setting the Octave effect to -1 octave foe the SubTone was worse in a different way - it didn't track the notes well at all.
                                Emulating a bass guitar with my guitar is a key requirement for me - so that was another nail in the coffin for me keeping the GE300. The Pitch Shift effect in my "lowly" (price comparison wise) BOSS MS-3 outperformed this unit.

Another note: for anyone interested in power usage rate for the GE300 if they want to incorporate it into a pedalboard with other pedals and want to know if your current power supply can handle it: A) it does require a 12 volt power source, and B) by observing the readings on my TrueTone "ma Meter" unit while i demo'ed the GE300, it seemed to stay well below 1 Amp of power draw (on average btw 885 ma and 920 ma) EXCEPT when using the synth FX - that is when the power draw exceeded 1 Amp.
                                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-28-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X