No announcement yet.

Any humbucker to match a pair of SDS-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any humbucker to match a pair of SDS-1?

Hello folks,

I have a "charvelized" Fender Tom Delonge strat inspired by Jake E. Lee's signature Charvel and it has his signature set of pickups: two single coils DiMarzio SDS-1 DP111 and one humbucker Seymour Duncan TB-4. The problem is that the bridge TB-4 doesn't match well with way too boomy SDS-1's. Literally I need to have different EQ settings for these pickups which is absurd. So... What bridge humbucker will fit these "P90 in single size" monsters better? It seems to me that DiMarzio's Tone Zone might just serve well. "Charvel" also has a tone knob unlike JEL's one.

The other interesting thing is that I didn't have this problem when the guitar had its stock neck. The custom made one is 24,75" so this scale makes, err, the neck pickups even more "neck-ish" because its position hasn't been changed, moved to the bridge, whatever... So this raises the other point if it makes much sense to have these DiMarzios in the neck and the middle positions.

Peace,
    Nikk

Re: Any humbucker to match a pair of SDS-1?

you want more output or a darker pup or ?

Comment

SDS-1 is the Strat-sized version of a SuperDistortion - why not pair them with a full-sized Super D?
      The Breed Bridge is also great for HSS Strat types. Hot, thick but not flabby, and a great singing lead voice.
      DiMarzio isn't making The Breed as a standard model anymore, but some eBay sellers still have them in stock.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        you want more output or a darker pup or ?
        At this point, I guess, both the darker with JB's output. There's no problem with the latter's "force" but its EQ is too trebly compared to SDS-1's. Thanks!

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
        SDS-1 is the Strat-sized version of a SuperDistortion - why not pair them with a full-sized Super D?
        The Breed Bridge is also great for HSS Strat types. Hot, thick but not flabby, and a great singing lead voice.
        DiMarzio isn't making The Breed as a standard model anymore, but some eBay sellers still have them in stock.
        Hmm... I have one DP100 in my disposal though it's not F-Spaced.
        I remember hearing about "The Breed" one like in 2008, haha. Quite a time ago. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          SDS-1 is the Strat-sized version of a SuperDistortion
          It's not. It's an actual single coil, more like a P90. They do make a Strat-sized version of the Super Distortion; the Super Distortion S. I do agree with the Breed being a warmer pickup that should match well tonewise.

Comment

Originally posted by Toejam View Post
            It's not. It's an actual single coil, more like a P90. They do make a Strat-sized version of the Super Distortion; the Super Distortion S. I do agree with the Breed being a warmer pickup that should match well tonewise.
            Ah, ok. That makes more sense for middle & neck position.

I thought SDS stood for Super D Strat.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Dimarzio AT-1 is supposed to be similar to the JB (I owned an AT-1, but never had a JB) except to sound like its using 250k volume control - according to internet folklore.
              I would also consider a Suhr SSH+ which to me feels like it has similar balance to the AT-1, but has better dynamics / less compression.
              Normally these pickups are used with 25.5" scale length as far as i know.
              Last edited by Teleplayer; 03-14-2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X