Blackstar LT Drive vs Tubescreamer for tightening metal amp tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar LT Drive vs Tubescreamer for tightening metal amp tone

I have a Marshall DSL20HR (into a 1936 cab) and I like to play metal. At the moment I'm using a Blackstar LT Drive pedal on the high gain channel to tighten things up, with the level up around 7-10 and drive down at 1 (you can't really put it to zero or it turns the pedal off basically). It sounds good, but I've always wondered what a Tube Screamer would sound like since so many metal bands use it in this kind of configuration.

I've ordered a Peavey 6506 MH from Andertons as I don't really think the Marshall cuts it for heavier/modern tones but I'll still be using either the LT Drive or a Tube Screamer with that amp as well.

Has anyone compared the two pedals? Given I'm not really colouring the tone, just tightening an already distorted sound, will I notice enough of a difference with the Tube Screamer to justify spending the cash on one?

Found this video which is interesting. My one issue with the LT Drive is that you HAVE to turn the drive up to about 2, you can't have it off the way you seem to be able to do with the Tube Screamer, so it's changing the amp tone more perhaps?

Last edited by Wolfshead; 03-08-2020, 07:26 AM.
    My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
    MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
    Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Re: Blackstar LT Drive vs Tubescreamer for tightening metal amp tone

I would imagine the Tubescreamer is better for what you're trying to do, if only because most metal guys I know use a Tubescreamer but I don't know of any who use the Blackstar.

If you want a TS-style pedal but want more control and modern options, look at the Earthquaker Devices Palisades and the Way Huge Green Rhino.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
      I would imagine the Tubescreamer is better for what you're trying to do, if only because most metal guys I know use a Tubescreamer but I don't know of any who use the Blackstar.

If you want a TS-style pedal but want more control and modern options, look at the Earthquaker Devices Palisades and the Way Huge Green Rhino.
      Thank mate. I will probably give the TS a try, and if it's not enough I'll check out the others. To be honest, this is the last throw of the dice for me - I have Amplitube and love how it sounds with all the options so am really thinking hard about just selling my "real" amps and stuff. But I know if I do I'll regret it lol
      Fact is, I'm not in a band any more so it seems overkill to have even 20W tube amps with a 2 X 12 cab!
      My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
      MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
      Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Comment

Honestly, two very different drive pedals.

The LT Drive is supposed to be more of an amp-like overdrive that doesn't cut bass or treble. The reason why Tube Screamers tighten the sound is a. because they cut a ton of bass, and b. because they blend the clean and distorted signal.

Yes, a Tube Screamer colors the tone, but honestly, if it didn't color the tone, it wouldn't do the tightening thing as well as it does.

Comment

The lt drive sounded tighter and clearer.

The ts sounded fatter and warmer.

Dod250 does the same kind of thing.

Ts, dod250, and rat are my old school go tos.
          My bogner blue and red are in a different category all together.

The bogner blue overlaps a tubescreamer in that I can set the blue to sound like a ts, or tweak it to sound like the ts is boosting the blue when it really isnt.

I was impressed with the blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            Honestly, two very different drive pedals.

The LT Drive is supposed to be more of an amp-like overdrive that doesn't cut bass or treble. The reason why Tube Screamers tighten the sound is a. because they cut a ton of bass, and b. because they blend the clean and distorted signal.

Yes, a Tube Screamer colors the tone, but honestly, if it didn't color the tone, it wouldn't do the tightening thing as well as it does.
            Yep, this exactly. The Blackstar is a cool pedal but I think you're going to likely get a better result that I'm thinking you're looking for by using the TS with the Peavey.
            I use the 6505+ head mostly in the studio and I always use either a Tube Screamer or a Duncan 805 overdrive depending on what I'm looking for that day.
            Both work really well with the Peavey amp for tightening it up.

Comment

Take a look at it he Friedman Buxom Boost. Easily the best pedal for your application that I’ve ever used. Not the cheapest option but with the onboard eq and “tight” controls it’s about as versatile as it gets. Won’t color your tone either. I use it with my Quickrod.

Comment

Working...
              X