Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Input Jack (?) problem

Hi, me again.
    I have been messing with a HSS-style jaguar kit I got a while ago. However, I have an odd problem: the input jack, seemingly the simplest part part of the guitar insides, is acting funny. All the pickups/electronics seem to be working fine, however, sometimes the sound cuts out when I am playing and to fix it I have to unplug and re-plug the cable. The only thing I can think of is that the whammy bar sometimes knocks into the cable, as they are both in the same area (why they designed it like this, I have no clue). Any thoughts? I am not 100% sure it is the jack that causes this, if anybody has any other ideas, please let me know.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	5853613
    Last edited by Komali; 03-08-2020, 12:10 PM. Reason: added image

Re: Annoying Input Jack (?) problem

hard to say without actually seeing it, but its possible. could be a bad solder joint too

Comment

Could be it; I’ve had problems with that before. As for the pic, I will edit the post in a second

Comment

Try cleaning (you can use fine sandpaper or a pencil eraser) the part that comes in contact with the tip of the plug. Also try bending that part of the jack so it puts more pressure against the plug. Lastly, wrap your cord under the neck strap at the strap button so your plug doesn't get tugged on.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I can tell by looking that is an Asian jack, and they are all crap. Have it replaced with a Switchcraft or other high quality jack.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I was going to say, once you have everything apart, it might be worth it to just replace it with a Switchcraft. That jack will fail again sometime.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              I can tell by looking that is an Asian jack, and they are all crap. Have it replaced with a Switchcraft or other high quality jack.
              And what is it that you see that tells you it's an import jack exactly?
              JC
              -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
              -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
              -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
              -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
              -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
              -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

And what is it that you see that tells you it's an import jack exactly?
                The single fiber spacer in red, for one. As I said - ALL Asian stuff has the cheapo jacks. They all get them from the same place.

Here's a Switchcraft jack.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	m2O5VhM85oX2SEC7LoOjF8g.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	5818434
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That's probably a little overgeneralized, some "Asian" jacks are slightly better than others, but Goober is still right...you'd be better served in the long run with a higher quality jack like a Switchcraft. I swap them out on all my guitars while I'm swapping pickups, etc.

Comment

Are you sure it's the jack and not the cable?

It's pretty usual to get intermittent sound from broken connection inside cable jack
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

1. No it isn’t the cable; it has happened with multiple cables
                      2. I will get a new jack; It seems like I am replacing all the electronics at this point
                      Thank you for your guys’ help

Comment

Since you're going to replace the jack, make sure you get an "output" jack instead of an "input" jack. You'll sound much better if the pickup's output goes out to the amp rather than the amp being input to your guitar.
                        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-09-2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

There's a 'guitar shop' around here that the owner put up a vid on YouTube about switching out the output jack. Every time, he called it an input jack(as well as title the vid that way) and he wired it backwards, as well. Lmao. I won't even get into the fact that he calls it a Tele. I've been playing for 2 months and I noticed it right off the bat. He's been doing this FOR YEARS at this point. No, I won't be shopping there anymore. This was embarrassing, TBH.
                          Last edited by Wound_Up; 03-10-2020, 11:18 AM.
                          JC
                          -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                          -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                          -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                          -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                          -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                          -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Kind of looks like cold solder on both jack lugs to me. I would first just touch them with a solder iron and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

Re-flow the solder on the tone pot lugs as well. That input lug looks even worse than the jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X