Annoying Input Jack (?) problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annoying Input Jack (?) problem

Thank you for all these tips; I am going to buy new jacks because I need extra jacks anyways for projects and stuff. Also, what’s the difference of an input and output jacks?

Comment

Also, what’s the difference of an input and output jacks?
      NONE. Some people just use the wrong term.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Komali View Post
        Also, what’s the difference of an input and output jacks?
        There is no difference in the JACK. Don't be confused or offended by my post...I was just ribbing you. The misuse of the terms "input jack" vs "output jack", and "coil split" vs "coil tap" are just pet peeves of mine.

You see, the jack in the guitar takes the sound from the pups OUT to the amp, therefore it is an"output jack". The jack on the front of an amp takes the sound from your guitar INTO the amp, therefore it is an "input jack". The jack on the back of the amp takes the sound OUT of the amp, therefore it is an "output jack". The jack on the back of the speaker cab takes the sound from the amp INTO the speaker, therefore it is an "input jack".

Physically/mechanically they are exactly the same item...their use determines what they are called.

When you put in the new components, make sure you heat the metal lug with the soldering iron and let a very small amount of the solder flow onto it and into the (stranded, I assume) wire. As opposed to heating the solder so it just drops onto the metal. That technique will help to avoid "cold solder joints".

Good luck with fixing your cool Jaguar. Happy playing.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I also think that for clarity purposes (and this is essentially a guitar electronics forum) we should use the correct terms (of all places) here. Lots of people come here for info, and it makes sense to be as accurate as we can.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            There is no difference in the JACK. Don't be confused or offended by my post...I was just ribbing you. The misuse of the terms "input jack" vs "output jack", and "coil split" vs "coil tap" are just pet peeves of mine.
            No offense taken ��
            I was just curious

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              No offense taken 😀
              I was just curious

Comment

If you want to be pedantic it's not really input nor output jack but both. Guitar pickups produce AC current, which flows both directions.

It's just easier to think of it one way, like DC current.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Not sure if I agree with that on technical grounds. Even with AC current, the negatively charged particles are still flowing one direction. They just alternate which conductor is carrying the charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                    If you want to be pedantic it's not really input nor output jack but both. Guitar pickups produce AC current, which flows both directions.

It's just easier to think of it one way, like DC current.
                    Like I said in my previous post, it's use determines it's name.

I seriously doubt that ANYONE who has ever bought or made a guitar has ever done so with the purpose in mind of generating AC current. Or even that the amount of AC generated in a guitar can even be measured or utilized for any purpose. It is much more likely that a guitar be used for a TV antenna.

I am not going to come out and flat out say you're wrong, but if there is some theoretical truth to what you say, then in theory and actuality you are probably incorrect. Besides, I think that in order to produce AC current in a guitar the magnet(s) has to be rotating along the wires. If the magnet is stationary (like in a guitar's pup) the current produced, if any, would be DC.

"Theory" is important...absolutely!!! But NOT at the expense of reason. Perhaps it's time for a reality check.
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-13-2020, 08:38 AM.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Do you realize that you have hot and ground reversed on the jack? Fix that when you get a good jack.

P.S. I tend to use stereo jacks in my guitars anymore. Solder a jumper from the ring to the sleeve terminal, and use that for ground. It just provides a more secure ground. But not a big deal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Switchcraft_jack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	5818475

Edit: Unless, you're using red for ground and black for hot. Which, on closer examination looks like what you might be doing.
                      Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-15-2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X