Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Z

Any Dr Z owners here?

They seem to have a good name but I don't see much about them on here.

I see a few of them coming up second-hand here from time to time but was surprised to see that a search didn't show many results.

Re: Dr. Z

I see a bunch for sale on CL. They seem on the pricier side. Don't know much more than that.

Comment

They are boutique amplifiers biased toward Fender clean. The numbers will be fewer and mostly among the traditional roots music players.

Comment

i know a bunch of guys with em. the srz-65 is kinda marshally, the rt66 is great but sounds best to me cranked and its freakin loud but nice and thick with good definition, the maz amps are fendery/voxy. is there a specific model youre interested in?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i know a bunch of guys with em. the srz-65 is kinda marshally, the rt66 is great but sounds best to me cranked and its freakin loud but nice and thick with good definition, the maz amps are fendery/voxy. is there a specific model youre interested in?
          Nah, more curious if many people here have owned or spent much time with them.

Have you spent time playing them? If so what were your impressions of each?

Comment

they have all been well made and fairly easy to dial in, reverb is nice on the ones that have it. ive used a few as back line amps and plugged into my friends amps. i loved the rt66 when i used it at an outdoor gig. theres a bunch of models and i sure havent played them all and i havent heard one that would do metal but for rock, blues, country, and other rootsy sounding stuff they do well

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              they have all been well made and fairly easy to dial in, reverb is nice on the ones that have it. ive used a few as back line amps and plugged into my friends amps. i loved the rt66 when i used it at an outdoor gig. theres a bunch of models and i sure havent played them all and i havent heard one that would do metal but for rock, blues, country, and other rootsy sounding stuff they do well

Is the route 66 more Marshall styled, or Vox Fender? How do think it sounded for country/blues?

Comment

I believe the Route 66 is based on the JTM45.

Comment

I've played most of their range at Ultrasound (RIP) in NYC. They are VERY good amps, especially if you like using boost or OD to get your distortion sound.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

the rt66 is a weird beast. uses two kt66 power tubes, a 12ax7 pi and ef86 preamp. volume, treble, bass. the ef86 is pretty unforgiving and it gets loud before the amp breaks up much but when it does its, thick and clear and tight but not it a metal kinda way. more focused than a jtm45 on the bottom but big rich mid range that has some similarities

Comment

Thanks Jeremy & Twilight.
                      They almost seem to be more popular here in Europe than in the US - where they're made.

Comment

I had a MAZ 38. It was a nice amp, but it was more than I needed. It doesn't sound good at lower volume.
                        Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                        Dean: '02 Hardtail
                        Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                        Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                        Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                        G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                        Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                        Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                        PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

i see em around a fair amount, sometimes with the z-brake to knock the volume down

Comment

Working...
                          X