To preamp or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To preamp or not?

I've got a YJM308 pedal and I was thinking about maybe running through a preamp pedal first and then into the 308 just to get more balls and power. Or perhaps another way to go is first go through another overdrive like my Boss Overdrive but set the drive control all the way down and put the level control up and kinda use it like a preamp and then into the 308?

Do any of you guys first go through a preamp pedal and then into your overdrive?

Re: To preamp or not?

You can boost the signal into most dirt pedals to get more saturation, compression, or volume. Until you try it you won't know how the YJM responds.
    Personally I like a clean boost into an overdrive but plenty of people run an overdrive into another overdrive or a distortion pedal. Try the Boss the way you said, experiment with turning the volume & gain knobs up & down.
    Seriously, just try it! There is no right or wrong way to do these things, it's whatever sounds good to you.

Comment

Try it both ways.
      I'd probably use the one that is more open-sounding last, since they are both overdrives.
      When one pedal is a distortion then I would likely run it last, and run a boost with two or three band eq first.

Comment

They YJM doesn't have the sound you want? I think you need a different overdrive, not a preamp pedal. A good preamp pedal, like a Palladium, generally cancels the need for most overdrives.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think he is talking more about a "preamp" effect pedal like an Xotic EP Booster or something, not a "preamp" like the Palladiun, or the AMT type pedals.

But, I could be wrong, happens a lot I'm told...

Comment

I have been stacking overdrives for decades. I love it. I will typically use one overdrive/boost to goose the other during solos. It really cust through the mix and gives great touch sensitivity.

Comment

I use preamp-style pedals closer to the end of the chain if possible.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Set your YJM to unity gain and put the Boss OD in front set similarly then start tweaking. You can get a great sound stacking overdrives. A tubescreamer into a rat is what I usually use.
                "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

I've had great luck with a Keeley 4 knob compressor into an Xotic BB Preamp into an Xotic AC Booster. Gain on the preamp up, gain on the booster down, volume on the preamp at unity gain, volume on the booster up,

Comment

Comment

The BB preamp into the YJM308 is working well. I'm glad I found out about this technique.

Comment

Working...
                      X