Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: repair help -- fix or toss?

  1. #1
    Understatmentologist ginormous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paducah KY
    Posts
    16,254

    Default repair help -- fix or toss?

    I bought a 1999 Fender Princeton 65, back in 1999. This is the production model number PR 403.

    (net grab; equipboard [dot] com)


    It's a solid state amp, but for $300 it's been a solid investment.
    I swapped the factory 12" for an OEM Celestion. That made an amp with good cleans into a Dr. Banner/Hulk when I put some drive or distortion on it.

    Of course, during a bar gig, it bit the big one. I had to finish the night direct from my pedal board into the PA.

    Right now, it's sitting downstairs, some busted volume pots the likely culprit.

    Is it worth rescuing, or should I grab something new?

    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

    Visit me on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

  2. #2
    Super Toneologist TMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Extolling the virtues of shower radios.
    Posts
    1,098

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    You could get a nice modeling amp for that kind of money now.

  3. #3
    Understatmentologist ginormous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paducah KY
    Posts
    16,254

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    Quote Originally Posted by TMD View Post
    You could get a nice modeling amp for that kind of money now.
    That's a thought, but I'll have to hustle to get up to half that price now.

    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

    Visit me on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

  4. #4
    One of Jerry's Kids Securb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    15,149

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    How did you like going straight to the PA? Have you considered going straight to a powered speaker with the pedalboard? Cheap, loud and light.

  5. #5
    Super Toneologist TMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Extolling the virtues of shower radios.
    Posts
    1,098

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    That's a thought, but I'll have to hustle to get up to half that price now.
    Half that price will also get a good modeling amp these days. Or a nicer used one.
    Last edited by TMD; 03-08-2020 at 05:55 PM.

  6. #6
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,332

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    This might depend on what could be wrong with it. How did it die? What sound was it making? I don't know if it is worth fixing unless you absolutely love the tone- you might be able to find a used one for the cost of the repair, or just look at another solution.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  7. #7
    A Ficus ehdwuld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    10,758

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    Without knowing what's wrong and a estimation of repair cost
    The value cannot be derived

    But if it was serviceable for 20+ years
    You may have gotten your money's worth out

    By the same token
    You owe it to the little guy to see what's wrong


    Local shop here charges $50 bench fee up front and parts and labor come out of that
    If it's simple

    If not they will estimate repair

    Couldn't hurt could it

    You kinda like it right?

    Modeling amp wont behave the same way with a distortion pedal
    At least none of mine do
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

  8. #8
    Ultimate Tone Slacker ICTGoober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,916

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    Those pots are surface mounted to the circuit board, correct? Very tough to repair, sometimes it's just not in the cards.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Simon_F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Age
    59
    Posts
    6,754

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    It depends on the cost of the rescue and how much you like the amp.

    Most amp techs I know have a bench charge (like ehdwuld says) for opening it up and taking a look. If it's a simple fix they do it for the bench charge, otherwise they qive you a quote. Depends if you like the amp enough to risk the bench charge.

    Having said that, there are some great sounding cheap amps available these days - Boss Katana for example.

    Or even a used Peavey Bandit. Those are always solid and do a nice Dr. Banner/Hulk.

  10. #10
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,332

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    It also might matter if parts are available. Lots of techs don't work on those- they just replace the board that has failed.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  11. #11
    Super Toneologist Sprinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northwest Missouri
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,101

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    If you like the amp, and it sounds like you do, then I say fix it.
    Collings: '08 001-mhsb
    Dean: '02 Hardtail
    Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
    Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
    Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
    G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
    Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
    Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
    PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

  12. #12
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,953

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    I don't like the idea of living in a highly disposable society, so I think it's worth fixing an amp -especially a solid state where there's usually no one component that fails thats very expensive to fix.

    it may be a good opportunity to learn more about amps and fix it yourself too.

    so I say fix it, even if you give it away to someone starting out or sell it.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  13. #13
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,786

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I don't like the idea of living in a highly disposable society, so I think it's worth fixing an amp -especially a solid state where there's usually no one component that fails thats very expensive to fix.

    it may be a good opportunity to learn more about amps and fix it yourself too.

    so I say fix it, even if you give it away to someone starting out or sell it.

    I don't like living in a highly disposable society either . . . but it might also make sense to spend more money buying an amp that is designed to be easy to fix and repair for long term rather than try to keep an amp that was designed to be cheap to build and unfixable going. This is always a tricky call, with no clear right answer.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  14. #14
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    5,953

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I don't like living in a highly disposable society either . . . but it might also make sense to spend more money buying an amp that is designed to be easy to fix and repair for long term rather than try to keep an amp that was designed to be cheap to build and unfixable going. This is always a tricky call, with no clear right answer.
    I usually use a legit failed amp as an excuse to buy something nicer immediately and give me time to fix it later, and then I usually fix the am and sell or give away.

    I'm trying to think of a guitar amp I've owned that wasn't worth fixing.... maybe some little desktop ones.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  15. #15
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Jacew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    Quote Originally Posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Those pots are surface mounted to the circuit board, correct? Very tough to repair, sometimes it's just not in the cards.
    I don't think I've ever seen an amp with surface mount pots. I have Mustang I, which is about cheapest amps Fender makes and that has usual cheapo trhu-hole pots & jacks.

    Of course finding correct may be tricky, but you can always just wire whatever pots there with wires.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

  16. #16
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,786

    Default Re: repair help -- fix or toss?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen an amp with surface mount pots. I have Mustang I, which is about cheapest amps Fender makes and that has usual cheapo trhu-hole pots & jacks.

    Of course finding correct may be tricky, but you can always just wire whatever pots there with wires.
    I have seen several cheaper amps with surface mount pots. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •