banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The right way up for Tubes in an amp chassis..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right way up for Tubes in an amp chassis..

From the earliest days, vacuum tubes in many guitar amps have been placed upside down in the chassis,( Fender being a classic example) with a few exceptions one being Marshall. I dont know if this design or feature was unavoidable but one thing is clear..heat rises and that heat degrades, or can degrade, other components in the amp. Agreed ? An example is where you see maybe 7 bottles at the back inc rectifier tube, in a 50 or 100 watt amp, that is a lot of heat. The other thing I see in smaller combos is the power tubes placed too close to the back of the speaker ..unacceptable, and this coming from famous brand names.

These things have been mentioned elsewhere, I don't know why amp makers don't use tube coolers/ dampers on tubes in their amps more often
    Last edited by Gold star; 03-10-2020, 04:01 AM.

Re: The right way up for Tubes in an amp chassis..

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
    From the earliest days, vacuum tubes in many guitar amps have been placed upside down in the chassis, with a few exceptions one being Marshall. I dont know if this design or feature was unavoidable but one thing is clear..heat rises and that heat degrades, or can degrade, other components in the amp. Agreed ? An example is where you see maybe 7 bottles at the back inc rectifier tube, in a 50 or 100 watt amp, that is a lot of heat. The other thing I see in smaller combos is the power tubes placed too close to the back of the speaker ..unacceptable, and this coming from famous brand names.

These things have been mentioned elsewhere, I don't know why amp makers don't use tube coolers/ dampers on tubes in their amps...
    [/url]

Most MESA combos have fans inside & Rectifiers are open in the back/front/top.
    I have both & never had an issue.
    In da 80's i put a fan on a 50 watt JMP head as only the 100 watt had a vent on top.
    I have a 100 watt modified JMP and never had a problem.
    Outdoor shows in direct sunlight in extreme heat {100+ degrees} could be a problem but other than that its not really an issue.
    And you never really want a fan blowing directly on a tube.
    Vacuum tube "boil" electrons and the normal operation is not a problem.
    I do use tube rings [dampers].
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 03-09-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you're worrying about a non-issue.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Well, Amps are designed to operate within certain temperature ranges -and that is part of the design

I have amps that are 40-60 years old in both configs without issue.

If anything Guitar amps are some of the most spacious and ventilated of most historical tube amplifier applications -except maybe UHF/VHF transmitters.

I don't believe this is something to worry about if you are keeping your amps properly maintained.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My multi-watt triple has a nice fan built-in. It's my only amp with a fan though.
          I read mesa was required/forced to do it by the safety people/gov.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
            My multi-watt triple has a nice fan built-in. It's my only amp with a fan though.
            I read mesa was required/forced to do it by the safety people/gov.
            I really don't prefer amps with fans -if I can avoid them -but with some amps it's just a must -especially high powered amps like with multiple 6550 pairs, If anything that oscillation from the fan is going to wear solder and pushfit connections before heat is going to wear components inside a head.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I don't think that's true Dave, otherwise other amps would have them too. With Mesa it's a design choice.

And everybody knows that Marshalls don't start sounding good until that third set when they're hot and rockin'!

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

The guy that plays (or used to play) on SNL has a Fender head that he has upside down for heat dissipation. It think it’s on and running under stage lights for hours and hours at a time.

For combos it’s nearly inevitable isn’t it? My Mesa Road King has 6 power tubes, 2 rectifiers and who knows how many preamp tubes.... it’s “upside down” but has a fan. I’m sure the head version also has a fan too....
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  The guy that plays (or used to play) on SNL has a Fender head that he has upside down for heat dissipation. It think it’s on and running under stage lights for hours and hours at a time.

For combos it’s nearly inevitable isn’t it? My Mesa Road King has 6 power tubes, 2 rectifiers and who knows how many preamp tubes.... it’s “upside down” but has a fan. I’m sure the head version also has a fan too....
                  Indeed, it does.

Comment

My Mesa Blue Angel has a fan, too. But I am sure while it was designed to last a long time, these things all have lifespans.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                      I don't think that's true Dave, otherwise other amps would have them too. With Mesa it's a design choice.

And everybody knows that Marshalls don't start sounding good until that third set when they're hot and rockin'!

Bill
                      Do the other triple-rectifier versions have fans? (2-channel and original 3-channel)
                      Here is the thread where I read that it was a newly added requirement.

4th post down

edit; that post is from the Mesa rep on the forum
                      Last edited by dave74; 03-11-2020, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Well, Amps are designed to operate within certain temperature ranges -and that is part of the design

I have amps that are 40-60 years old in both configs without issue.

If anything Guitar amps are some of the most spacious and ventilated of most historical tube amplifier applications -except maybe UHF/VHF transmitters.

I don't believe this is something to worry about if you are keeping your amps properly maintained.
                        what does maintained mean ? I've seen closed back valve combos ..that cant be a good thing and the guys at Marshall made a point regarding the recent Origin & Studio Marshalls of keeping the heat from the valves away from the other components...

Comment

Vox amps from the 60s had a reputation for running hot..hot enough to catch fire in some cases ! you cant call that a non issue...With SS of course, its very rarely an issue

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                            [/url]

Most MESA combos have fans inside & Rectifiers are open in the back/front/top.
                            I have both & never had an issue.
                            In da 80's i put a fan on a 50 watt JMP head as only the 100 watt had a vent on top.
                            I have a 100 watt modified JMP and never had a problem.
                            Outdoor shows in direct sunlight in extreme heat {100+ degrees} could be a problem but other than that its not really an issue.
                            And you never really want a fan blowing directly on a tube.
                            Vacuum tube "boil" electrons and the normal operation is not a problem.
                            I do use tube rings [dampers].
                            I can see 8 tubes there.. what model is that ??

Comment

Marshall made a big mistake with the JTM600 and JCM600 combos in the 90s - mounted the tubes sideways beneath the circuit board!

Those were great sounding, well-featured amps but they are mostly remembered for their reliability issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X