Best neck humbucker to compliment to 59b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best neck humbucker to compliment to 59b

Hello all! This is my first post on this forum. I’ve tried searching this topic, but I didn’t really find anything that really answered my question.

I have a 59b in the bridge position of my 61 Reissue SG, but I’m looking for a good neck humbucker that would match it that isn’t the 59n. I’ve tried the 59n, but found it to be be too boomy. Would either the WLH neck or the APH-1 neck (Non-Slash) be a good match for it?

Additionally, if you have any other suggestions, feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Best neck humbucker to compliment to 59b

For boomy bass, I think the WLH is better and still matches the 59 EQ pretty well. For me though, I just swapped in an A4 magnet for $5. It basically flattens out the EQ a little, which tames the lows. I don't notice much/any difference in the highs, but my ears are getting old. Others might see more of a difference there.

Oh, and a note on the A2P. I haven't tried that particular pickup, but I tried several A2 pickups in my SG. I think the lack of a maple top makes A2s a little too dark, though your amp/style may get different results. Derek Trucks seems to do just fine with them.

***edited b/c I'm dumb and can't read the original post
    Last edited by BluesIsBlood12; 03-09-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

the wlh neck is a good option, sentient is another option if you want a more modern sound

Comment

I replaced the magnet in my 59n with an A4 as well and i really dig it, but i also felt like it still had too much bass so i tried the demud mode by ArtieToo and it worked really well, and its great for taming the low end. You would only need a 500k resistor and a .01uf cap. https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ght=de-mud+mod
        sigpic
        Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
        Dunlop Crybaby
        MXR Custom Comp
        GFS Twin Overdrive
        Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
        Blackstar HT-DISTX
        Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Swapping the 59 neck magnet to an A4 worked for me.
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by BluesIsBlood12 View Post
            For boomy bass, I think the WLH is better and still matches the 59 EQ pretty well. For me though, I just swapped in an A4 magnet for $5. It basically flattens out the EQ a little, which tames the lows. I don't notice much/any difference in the highs, but my ears are getting old. Others might see more of a difference there.

Oh, and a note on the A2P. I haven't tried that particular pickup, but I tried several A2 pickups in my SG. I think the lack of a maple top makes A2s a little too dark, though your amp/style may get different results. Derek Trucks seems to do just fine with them.

***edited b/c I'm dumb and can't read the original post
            Thanks for the response! Do you feel the WLH would be too hot in the neck position with the 59b? I believe the DCR is about 8.2 which is the same as the 59b if I’m not mistaken. And I hadn’t thought of swapping the mag in the 59. Definitely could be a great option too.

Comment

I am going to go with the APH-1, because it isn't boomy at all, and sound like you just jammed a stick of butter in your guitar.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I am going to go with the APH-1, because it isn't boomy at all, and sound like you just jammed a stick of butter in your guitar.
                I have never understood the term "buttery" when applied in that context.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                  I have never understood the term "buttery" when applied in that context.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                  For myself, it's "organic" that I can never understand in that context.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Jazz or Seth Lover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Golem View Post
                      Jazz or Seth Lover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      This

But I will add Whole Lotta Humbucker neck or Pearly Gates neck also would work well with a 59B.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        For myself, it's "organic" that I can never understand in that context.

Buttery means smooth and creamy, organic means no pesticides or artificial fertilizers were fed to the cows that the butter (milk) came from. Easy peasy!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          Buttery means smooth and creamy, organic means no pesticides or artificial fertilizers were fed to the cows that the butter (milk) came from. Easy peasy!
                          This is the way I've always understood it.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Don't particularly care for the 59 neck pickup. No longer have either a 59 n or 59 b on hand or in any of my guitars.

If I had to match up a neck pickup with a 59 bridge, I'd go with these:

first choice would be the WLH - neck. Have a set in a 2013 SG.

Second choice Jazz - tried it previously with a 59 bridge.

From the DMZ world:

Have not tried any of these with a 59B. I'm going with my memory of the 59B and what these pickups are doing in their current guitars.

Air Classic - tried in a Epiphone LP at a local store on consignment.
                            PAF Master - have a set in a 1993 Batwing SG
                            PAF 36 Anniversary - have a set in a 2013 SG
                            That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                            And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                              The last time I had anything smooth and creamy in my ears, I had to go to Urgent Care and get antibiotics.
                              Not fun. And I could do without the persistent phaser effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X