Thread: How Soon is Now?

Ultimate Tone Member

Default How Soon is Now?

tonewood instigator

Default Re: How Soon is Now?

"Now" is equal to the limit as "soon" approaches zero where "soon" is equal to t.
    whisper words of wisdom,
    let it be

Tone Member

Or, learn this version instead...

Default How Soon is Now?

Sounds like she’s only using a tremolo effect alone.

When I played this song against the record back in the day (when it came out) I used a noise gate at 100% mix with a sharp envelope and a trigger mask of 360ms mixed with a single-repeat delay of 180ms filling in between. (Those milliseconds may not be exactly right, I’m just going by memory. Need to check the BPM of the song again.)

A tremolo by itself never sounded right to me, particularly if you percussively scratch the strings the way Marr did at some of the turnarounds. You can hear a delay when he scratches the strings. I didn’t use a capo either. But whatever sounds right. I have no idea how he really made the sound in the studio. I used two SPX90s in series to make the sound.
    Last edited by beaubrummels; 03-25-2020 at 11:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

I read an article on how The Smiths did that awesome guitar "trem". The guitarist said that they had two Fender Twins and he and like the producer or engineer were constantly adjusting the speed while they were recording the guitars so that they stayed somewhat in time with each other. That's crazy, lol.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Quote Originally Posted by 75lespaul View Post
    I read an article on how The Smiths did that awesome guitar "trem". The guitarist said that they had two Fender Twins and he and like the producer or engineer were constantly adjusting the speed while they were recording the guitars so that they stayed somewhat in time with each other. That's crazy, lol.
    I bet tap tempo would make it easier.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Without a doubt, lol. Did they even have that when this was recorded? I'm too old, I can't remember, hahaha.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

I'm pretty sure that they didn't.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

So “How Soon Is Now” was recorded in 1984, first released in 1985.

All I can find from the only-partially-reliable-internet-memory consensus is the earliest device with tap tempo may have been a Roland SDE rack delay in 1984, with other “unobtainable” rack units in the next few years following suit. Foot pedal delays with tap tempo not appearing until around the mid nineties from Boss, Eventide and Line6.

Interestingly enough, the Wiki account of the recording of How Soon Is Now says they ran the initial recorded guitar track back through three Fender Twin Reverbs oscillating at different rates and ran that 3-channel mix back through a noise gate set to trigger from a percussion device to keep the overall oscillations in time with the song.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.