Best Pickup for my Dreadnaught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pickup for my Dreadnaught

Hi all! I have a Blueridge Br-160 that I need to put a pickup in. Give me your opinions on what you think is the best pickup system to put in a full size dreadnaught. Thanks!

Re: Best Pickup for my Dreadnaught

Welcome to the forum!

Do you want a permanent install, or are you looking for something that is removable?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another broad consideration is if you are looking for a soundhole/magnetic pickup or a piezo/saddle pickup. Both have their merits and drawbacks, but that would be the first main question to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
        Another broad consideration is if you are looking for a soundhole/magnetic pickup or a piezo/saddle pickup. Both have their merits and drawbacks, but that would be the first main question to answer.
        pskorz is right! But i ask in another way, because the application and your music style is the main factor. The magnetic pickup gives you a fuller sound, but it does not sound like the acoustic guitar, we are used to hear.
        The piezo works best together with electric guitars and a rock band. It sounds a bit thin on its own and has a mismatch with most inputs (too high impedance) and needs some buffer electronics.
        On a solo Acoustic guitar i like the combos of piezo and mic best - more mic than piezo.
        Some new pickups like Sunrise and Duncan are very impressive and are very versatile for different applications.
        Last edited by hamerfan; 03-11-2020, 12:09 AM.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I've had good luck with Fender and Duncan's wood-encased soundhole pickups, the hum-cancelling versions. If you can find a used one, the duncan performer soundhole acoustic pickup was pretty darn good, too. I'm going back about a decade or more, but I think it was only like $30 new, and I was pleased with it.

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
            I've had good luck with Fender and Duncan's wood-encased soundhole pickups, the hum-cancelling versions. If you can find a used one, the duncan performer soundhole acoustic pickup was pretty darn good, too. I'm going back about a decade or more, but I think it was only like $30 new, and I was pleased with it.
            I was using one of those Duncan Performers about a decade or so ago as well. I was pleased with it and for $30 bucks you couldn't go wrong.

Comment

The MagMic is a great removable pickup, and gets about as good of a sound as that kind of pickup can get. I tend to like non-natural acoustic tones, so it isn't as important to me to capture the sound of the guitar in a room- I'm gonna process it all to hell anyway.

Comment

I play an even mix of finger style and strumming I'd say. Looking for something permanent and natural sounding not super metallic like some can sound

Comment

The most 'natural' permanent solutions will combine a few different sources...piezo, magnetic, & internal microphone. Others just get an under saddle pickup or something like the Mag Mic and use a pedal like the Aura to impart a well miked acoustic into that. How you amplify it will be as important as the pickup system, too.

Comment

Piezo + Internal mic combo.

Size of the guitar not relevant.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I need to ask two other things. Are playing as a solo artist or in a band? If band, are you playing with other acoustic instruments or in a electric/rock band context?
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        Piezo + Internal mic combo.

Size of the guitar not relevant.
                        for solo playing or an all acoustic band, sure. if you have a drummer on stage and electric instruments, the mic is feedback city.

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                        I need to ask two other things. Are playing as a solo artist or in a band? If band, are you playing with other acoustic instruments or in a electric/rock band context?
                        the duncan active mag is a great little pup that ive been using for a few gigs, on board volume and tone control is very handy. the magmic is great but in loud situations, you cant really use much of the mic. a wavelength undersaddle pup and magmic blended is an amazing setup for all situations if you wanna go all out

Comment

If you want a pickup that makes your plugged tone exactly the same as your unplugged tone, the only pickup I've found to do that is the LR Baggs Anthem or Anthem SL, depending on your budget.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I think the best sound I'm hearing from an acoustic guitar these days is from the pickup system Maton installs in their guitars. Tommy Emmanuel is an endorser. Because of Tommy, Eric Johnson now plays a Maton acoustic for his live shows. But you can't purchase just the pickup.

I have K&K pickups in most of my acoustic guitars. They super glue to the bridge plate inside the guitar and sound good. Especially through a Red Eye preamp or one of those Dtar Solstice preamps Duncan used to offer.

Better still is the Trance Audio pickup systems like Jackson Browne uses. But now you're getting expensive.

In terms of soundhole pickups, the only one I really love is the Sunrise that Jim Kaufman makes. Lyle Lovett uses it. So does Richard Thompson. I have one in a cedar topped Seagull and it's excellent.
                            Last edited by Lewguitar; 04-01-2020, 03:53 PM.
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

These days, for acoustic shows (no band), I am using a Line 6 Variax Acoustic. I process the signal with reverb and compression, but plugged in, it has a wonderful solo tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X