Balanced Line Out Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balanced Line Out Issues

I have an Ashdown Mag 220 combo and it has a 1/4in line out. When i first got the amp i tried to hook it up using a mono cable and had issues with noise and an almost tapping noise. I did some research and realized i was dumb and needed a TRS cable because it was a balanced output. I bought a TRS>XLR cable and everything worked great. Then one day i realized that i had accidentally had the Phantom Power on my interface on. I checked to make sure everything was ok. It was not. I once again had the same sound that i was getting while trying to use an unbalanced cable. I tested for continuity on the cable and everything was good. I plugged the TRS into the line out and used my multimeter to check the voltage output on the pins. I don't remember what the voltages were but i do remember one was about 3 times as high as the other. I tried to use a TRS>TRS cable to the input of the interface and had the same issue. I even tried to see if there was a different if i pulled the jack out slightly so that all of the contacts would not touch and i got the same result whether or not it was all the way in. To me it seems as though i possibly fried the balanced line out by accedently applying phantom power to it. Does anyone else have ideas of what is going on?
    sigpic
    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Re: Balanced Line Out Issues

It's unusual, but not unheard of, for phantom power to harm something not intended for it. Part of the point of PP is that the voltage is equal on both pins. If your device isn't made for it, then there's no connection to complete the circuit. Unfortunately, you're kinda stuck in a mode of needing to take this to a qualified tech, so they can inject a signal and trace it through. This will be difficult to troubleshoot through a forum.

Comment

My perception is that you need to shutdown phantom power when you are plugging/unplugging TRS plugs as they are shorting to ground. XLR is working properly as the 3 pins never touch.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
        My perception is that you need to shutdown phantom power when you are plugging/unplugging TRS plugs as they are shorting to ground. XLR is working properly as the 3 pins never touch.
        I did turn off the phantom power. But it seemed I was too late when I noticed it was on.
        sigpic
        Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
        Dunlop Crybaby
        MXR Custom Comp
        GFS Twin Overdrive
        Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
        Blackstar HT-DISTX
        Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Working...
        X