Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: Shopping for a capo

  1. #1
    Super Toneologist TMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Extolling the virtues of shower radios.
    Posts
    1,419

    Default Shopping for a capo

    Somebody gave me this capo twenty years ago. I never tried using it until earlier this evening, and I don’t like the process of putting it on and taking it off. Is there a better way? If I went looking for a new capo today, what should I look for?

    Name:  605C2076-B2E8-46D5-A41C-66D66B79BA33.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  63.3 KB

  2. #2
    Chris JB_From_Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19,504

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Check out the D'Addario NS. They're light, pretty inexpensive, and aren't a huge clunky thing.

  3. #3
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,892

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    I was going to recommend the D'Addario NS. It is the best, easiest to use capo out there, and can be had at around $12.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  4. #4
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    16,432

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Anyone remember something called a spider capo? It had individual arms for each string allowing for different open tunings. I don't know if it's still on the market though.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mild old man perv Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,123

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    There are a couple of excellent Capo threads. Try a search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  6. #6
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    6,268

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    I'll save you the trouble of research.

    This is the best one on the market.... by the easiest to take on and off and stays tight.

    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

  7. #7
    Mojo's Minions beaubrummels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The dude abides
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,797

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Shubb, or any where you can control the downward pressure. Avoid anything Keyser. There should never be more downward pressure than is just necessary to get a clean ringing tone, same as finger pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

  8. #8
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,892

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Anyone remember something called a spider capo? It had individual arms for each string allowing for different open tunings. I don't know if it's still on the market though.

    Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    It is still being made. I can see that it would be fun, especially for overdubs.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  9. #9
    A Ficus ehdwuld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    10,950

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Thalia
    dont know bout the best
    but dang sure the purtiest

    https://www.thaliacapos.com/products...BoCvngQAvD_BwE
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

  10. #10
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,915

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    I really like the design of the Shubb capos.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  11. #11
    LoveMachineologist jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    albany, ny
    Age
    43
    Posts
    31,035

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Thalia
    dont know bout the best
    but dang sure the purtiest

    https://www.thaliacapos.com/products...BoCvngQAvD_BwE
    there is a taylor swift connection and its stupid expensive so ill pass

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I really like the design of the Shubb capos.
    ive been using a shubb for as long as i can remember and it works great

  12. #12
    Super Toneologist TMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Extolling the virtues of shower radios.
    Posts
    1,419

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Check out the D'Addario NS. They're light, pretty inexpensive, and aren't a huge clunky thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I was going to recommend the D'Addario NS. It is the best, easiest to use capo out there, and can be had at around $12.
    Which one? It looks like they have several in the line.

  13. #13
    A Ficus ehdwuld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    10,950

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    there is a taylor swift connection and its stupid expensive so ill pass



    ive been using a shubb for as long as i can remember and it works great
    I personally use Chinese $2 knockoffs of Kyser capos

    get like half dozen at a time
    loose em , break em , ya know it happens
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

  14. #14
    Chris JB_From_Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19,504

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    The main reason I’ll say the D’Addario is the best is how it’s not a huge chunk of crap for your hand to run into.

  15. #15
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    25,892

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    The main reason I’ll say the D’Addario is the best is how it’s not a huge chunk of crap for your hand to run into.
    It is also elegantly designed, doesn't add a bunch of weight to the neck, and the tension is adjustable. Also, the spring is really easy to squeeze.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  16. #16
    Super Toneologist TMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Extolling the virtues of shower radios.
    Posts
    1,419

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    I bought a Tri-Action and an Artist.

  17. #17
    mild old man perv Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    53
    Posts
    36,123

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I really like the design of the Shubb capos.
    Not gonna lie. totally surprised you don't use this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  18. #18
    Mojo's Minions beaubrummels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The dude abides
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,797

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Not gonna lie. totally surprised you don't use this:

    Those actually work well, though they are lousy for quick changes. The other guitarist in my band, back in the day, forgot his capo for an expensive recording session and we had to use that brand instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

  19. #19
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    15,915

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Not gonna lie. totally surprised you don't use this:



    Also not gonna lie. I have. :P


    I rarely use a capo for more than a couple songs in a set and as mentioned, it's a PITA for quickly taking things on and off.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  20. #20
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: Shopping for a capo

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I really like the design of the Shubb capos.
    Only thing I don't like about Shubbs is they don't clamp to the headstock, so you have to find somewhere else to store it. Less convenient. I did love the adjustability and light touch on the strings the Shubb gives, wonderful for recording-type work where quick-change isn't a big deal but being absolutely in-tune is.

    Personally I use an older NS, the "dual-action" trigger capo. No longer made which is a shame as they work very well, but the "Reflex" is very close in design and use. The "Artist" is the same idea but Kyser-style instead of trigger style, whichever floats your boat.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •