Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel Panther pedal

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Default Re: Steel Panther pedal

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    To put it politely, I for one fully support Steel Panther and their middle fingers to the current degenerate culture of being perpetually offended.

I also fully support their stupidity... a person can't be serious all of the time. Nor should a band trying to push an outdated form of rock. Relax, have fun, party.
    And to a degree, I do too. However - they took an awesome thing and just went overboard. way, way overboard. I'm not saying they shouldn't do what they do. They just have the opposite of the desired effect.

And then to think you can add ultra-obnoxious (and expensive) dirt box to it? Fail. Philosophiocally, I agree it's a win. Kind of like saying that a law suit is found in your favor because you were in the right, but then awarding you one dollar because it was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    That's funny because I consider Friedman's model names totally tacky to the point of disgusting. Brown Eye? Pink Taco?
    I wonder what order they go on a board. The Pink Taco before the Brown Eye? Or opposite? Tone stacking is tricky.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by shupe13 View Post
    I wonder what order they go on a board. The Pink Taco before the Brown Eye? Or opposite? Tone stacking is tricky.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
    Always have your SIGNAL enter the PINK TACO FIRST and then the BROWN EYE after -if you must

BUT NEVER... EVER... EVER put your SIGNAL in the BROWN EYE and then in the PINK TACO....

You're going to give your pedal board an infection if you don't follow this.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    And to a degree, I do too. However - they took an awesome thing and just went overboard. way, way overboard. I'm not saying they shouldn't do what they do. They just have the opposite of the desired effect.

And then to think you can add ultra-obnoxious (and expensive) dirt box to it? Fail. Philosophiocally, I agree it's a win. Kind of like saying that a law suit is found in your favor because you were in the right, but then awarding you one dollar because it was stupid.
    Overboard I'd agree, it's like an SNL skit with a joke they just keep twisting without adding anything substantive (than the original joke or concept) to mix into it and make the twist progress.

It's why SNL based films rarely succeed.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Overboard I'd agree, it's like an SNL skit with a joke they just keep twisting without adding anything substantive (than the original joke or concept) to mix into it and make the twist progress.

It's why SNL based films rarely succeed.
    SP packs venues where the play, even in Europe, people are eating it up. Again, not my thing, but...

Always have your SIGNAL enter the PINK TACO FIRST and then the BROWN EYE after -if you must

BUT NEVER... EVER... EVER put your SIGNAL in the BROWN EYE and then in the PINK TACO....

You're going to give your pedal board an infection if you don't follow this.
    You guys need to be careful or you'll get an infraction.

What? Pink before Brown is well known pus- I mean pedal order....

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Ew!
    And those are amp names, not pedals. So you'd need an A/B switch...

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    Ew!
    And those are amp names, not pedals. So you'd need an A/B switch...
    Ha. I wasn't aware.... damn... thats a fail on my part.

Terrible amp names.

Mojo's Minions

Ha. I wasn't aware.... damn... thats a fail on my part.

Terrible amp names.
    The Moooooer you know!

Uhhggg disgusting word.

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

If it sounds good though.....

I would totally rock it if it wasn't carrying such a huge price tag!... And sold out everywhere.

I think NOT liking something because of the name on it is the same as only liking something for the brand name on it..... If it sounds great, then it sounds great. I think the name on this one is hilarious.
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 03-23-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Small run, high price = win

I think there are a ton of equally awesome and cheaper options.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post

I agree. I think that the first album was their musical peak, the second their comedic. At that point, they managed to capture what was ridiculous about hard rock during its glory days, but also something of what made it so appealing. There are tons of guys who have tried to parody 80s metal, but almost nobody manage to do it well, most likely because they neither like nor understand what they are parodying, and/or because they were not smart enough guys to be able to make something that worked both as music and parody. Steel Panther filled all of these criteria, as evinced by their live covers often being performed better than the original bands did, and by writing songs that sound derivative not because they can't write anything original, but because the songs obviously are rewritings of other songs, which, once again, are damn well done (Michael Starr, by the way, has a PhD in English). Just listen to the choruses: there is barely a song where they don't vary the lyrics for each chorus.

That said, they are a one-joke band playing on the debauchery of rock stars, and as time has gone by they haven't had anywhere else to turn than to crank that one joke further up. That isn't how humour works - a joke doesn't get more fun the less subtle it is - and the last two albums have basically been a race to the bottom in my opinion. By going that way, you inevitably end up going from poking fun at yourself to poking fun at others, which is how you get from "17 Girls in a Row", which is already borderline, to "B****** Tears", which is way over the border.

By the way, they have arguably never managed to tell their one joke as well as Danger Danger did in Monkey Business, where the protagonist is trying to pick up one-night stands by telling the story of King Kong as a parable.
    Last edited by Sirion; 03-27-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Yeah. All that.

My band plays 80s hair rock as authentically as we can, and our motto is dare to be dumb. That, people dig.

But Steel Panthers only remaining fans are Beavis & Butthead anymore and a few guitar fanbois

While I agree with you that their schtick is more than a little overboard, they are making a living and playing internationally, getting sig guitars and other endorsements, so I think they may be a little up on Steve Dallas and co. I think they have a few more than 2 80s burnout fans.

For those of you that missed the PW, here is the BB.

that does sound pretty good

Asshatologist

Two headed pepper dongs... Sign me up.

It's a pedal - not a hot sauce.

And now theres a new one out called the butthole burner. Sounded like it was same pedal guts, just a different housing.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553