banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lone star strat upgrade 300k or 500k volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lone star strat upgrade 300k or 500k volume?

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
    You should let decide your ears! I had always the best results with 300 to 500k vol pots with Bridge Humbucker (btw i use 1 meg with the neck humbuckers in my Les Pauls) and 250k vol pot with singles.
    In this guitar it seems to work best too for my ears. I use my volume and tone controls so I’m trading off what it’s like rolled off yo when I put it all on 10 for a solo in the band mix. I want all on 10 to be perfect - no icepick or “ping” , I play finger style or hybrid picking mostly and get some snap out of the strings so I don’t want it too bright for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lone star strat upgrade 300k or 500k volume?

Ha ha. All this time on my hands and I’ve reverted back to 500k. Wasn’t quite enough oomph when I wanted it!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie1971 View Post
        Ha ha. All this time on my hands and I’ve reverted back to 500k. Wasn’t quite enough oomph when I wanted it!

And reverted to 300k it just sounds better

Comment

500k with true single coils is kinda cray.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

I use 500K's whenever there is a HB in the setup. That said, I am using the tone pot quite a bit.

B
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              500k with true single coils is kinda cray.
              Depends on the guitar and the pickups. There really shouldn't be a hard rule.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Dont mean to thread-jack but i have a similar situation. I have a 2000 Fat Strat W/Pearly Gates +. I absolutely love the pickup however, i would like for it to have a pinch more output. Should i bypass the tone pot on it? Does anybody know the stock wiring on these guitars (this one is untouched bone stock)?
                Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Depends on the guitar and the pickups. There really shouldn't be a hard rule.
                  I have a 500k volume and no tone in my HSH Phat Cat/SSL6. Works great. I think 500k also sounds great with stax. It's kinda cray with vintage true single coils but can work if you want some ice pick.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
                    Dont mean to thread-jack but i have a similar situation. I have a 2000 Fat Strat W/Pearly Gates +. I absolutely love the pickup however, i would like for it to have a pinch more output. Should i bypass the tone pot on it? Does anybody know the stock wiring on these guitars (this one is untouched bone stock)?
                    Controls won't give you any more output. If you stick a double thick mag in there it will increase the output and fill it out. Works insane. Stock strat wiring is tone 1 to the neck, tone 2 to the middle, and no tone on the bridge.

Last edited by Clint 55; 03-30-2020, 11:20 AM.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Getting rid of the tone control might make it sound brighter, which some people might perceive as a little more volume. But it isn't really. A magnet swap will do it, but change the tone you like. You can try to raise the pickup a pinch, and if that isn't enough, a boost pedal will certainly work.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I miss Black Rose Customs... We could buy them pots measured. It's been long time for sure.

B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
                          Fender used several configurations for the Lone Star Strat. I don’t know what you got there. But the most common configuration is;

250 pots for volume and tone
                          Bridge tone has 0.022uF capacitor
                          Neck and middle tone 0.047uF

I believe the American lone star has nice sounding custom shop Texas Specials. The standard ones on my Mexican Lone Star Deluxe are very shrill even with 250k pots and just sound muddy when you roll the tone back enough to kill the ice pick.

Now if you’re configuration is as I have described you could try 300k volume and replace the bridge tone control for a 500k no load tone pot or a TBX pot

I find as long as the 300k pot is within tolerance it’s a nice half way house between 250 and 500k volume. 500k is too much for standard singles and rolling off the tone doesn’t really fix it. The pearly gates is very bright with 500k but that’s my years.

I’ve swapped back and forth few times now. And 300k volume, 250k tone for singles and 500k tone for pearly gates ( mine is not the pearly gates plus it’s the standard pearly gates) and that works perfectly. I considered n load tone for the pg but it’s fine like this -plenty bright and compressed nicely. Not quite as much as Gibson 57s but they are more in the mids.

My PG is noticeably brighter with this set up than my Gibson 57s with 500k pots all round wired 50s style.

I hope this info helps

Here’s the USA lone star wiring which I used to remodel mine - I just amended the pot values and used 0.033uF on the singles instead of 0.047uF. I use my tone controls and 0.047 is too muddy.

I also use a 2k resistor to ground for the auto split

Comment

Working...
                          X