banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adding 5-way selector to H-H PRS? Is this config possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding 5-way selector to H-H PRS? Is this config possible?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a guitar for a very specific purpose, and feel a 24-fret H-H PRS will fit my needs/budget, assuming this is all possible:

1. (I assume this is simple) Can I swap in a 5-way pickup selector?

2. Can I configure it this way?
    a. Bridge HB full

b. Both HB's in parallel

c. Inner coils of Both HB's (was the middle position of my previously-owned Ibanez Petrucci JPM-100, I believe?)

d. Outer coil of neck HB

e. Neck HB full

3. I need to pick a neck HB. I currently use a DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck of my strat-style H-S-S configured Kramer Pacer. Is there a HB that might be similar? I love the Cruiser's thick, rich, yet still Strat-y tones. FWIW I will be pairing with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge

Re: adding 5-way selector to H-H PRS? Is this config possible?

I have a H H warmoth strat with Dimarzio's 5-way switch that has like, 25 contact points. (I think it's the EP 1112) As far as I know, damn near any split combo is possible with that type of switch, but you really have to know what you're doing to wire it up. (I didn't wire mine myself).

My favorite dimarzio neck pickup is the Fred. I've had it paired with PAF pro, a D Activator, and a Super distortion and I've been happy with it every time.
    Last edited by pskorz; 03-11-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Correction: I'm actually pairing with an Evolution in the bridge... not sure why Tone Zone came through my head when I was typing...

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
      I have a H H warmoth strat with Dimarzio's 5-way switch that has like, 25 contact points. (I think it's the EP 1112) As far as I know, damn near any split combo is possible with that type of switch, but you really have to know what you're doing to wire it up. (I didn't wire mine myself).

My favorite dimarzio neck pickup is the Fred. I've had it paired with PAF pro, a D Activator, and a Super distortion and I've been happy with it every time.
      Thanks. Yeah, I would have someone else wire it for me.

Have you ever split the Fred in the neck position?

Comment

I have. In an old RG, the # 4 position, I'm pretty sure was one coil of the Fred and the middle single coil. It was nice and stratty. Currently, I have it paired with a D Activator in the bridge (which will soon be replaced with a super dist -though I kinda like the D activator, but that's a whole other story). It's wired in whatever the regular PRS style is, so both hums are on full in 1 and 5, and in 4, 3, and 2 it's like the inner coil of each in parallel, each inner in series, then one other combo, I don't remember exactly. It sounds nice split. I think the coils are mismatched, so exactly which one you use would have some impact on the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
          Hi,

I'm looking to get a guitar for a very specific purpose, and feel a 24-fret H-H PRS will fit my needs/budget, assuming this is all possible:

1. (I assume this is simple) Can I swap in a 5-way pickup selector?

2. Can I configure it this way?
          a. Bridge HB full

b. Both HB's in parallel

c. Inner coils of Both HB's (was the middle position of my previously-owned Ibanez Petrucci JPM-100, I believe?)

d. Outer coil of neck HB

e. Neck HB full

3. I need to pick a neck HB. I currently use a DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck of my strat-style H-S-S configured Kramer Pacer. Is there a HB that might be similar? I love the Cruiser's thick, rich, yet still Strat-y tones. FWIW I will be pairing with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge
          Yes, those combinations in those exact positions are possible with a 4 pole 5 way switch, a.k.a. "superswitch." Head's up: it is not possible to get what you want fron a 2 pole 5 way switch, to spare you the time. The deal-breaker for that switch is you want neck inner coil in one position but also neck outer coil in another positon.

I am glad to help you create a wiring diagram for what you decide on. Let me know.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-11-2020, 10:46 PM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
            Yes, those combinations in those exact positions are possible with a 4 pole 5 way switch, a.k.a. "superswitch." Head's up: it is not possible to get what you want fron a 2 pole 5 way switch, to spare you the time. The deal-breaker for that switch is you want neck inner coil in one position but also neck outer coil in another positon.

I am glad to help you create a wiring diagram for what you decide on. Let me know.
            Thanks so much. I haven't committed to pulling the trigger yet, but may soon... this is really helpful.

Comment

Thanks so much. I haven't committed to pulling the trigger yet, but may soon... this is really helpful.
              Cool. So what specific PRS model(s) are you considering?
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                Cool. So what specific PRS model(s) are you considering?
                Looking at the SE Standard 24. Seems to fit my budget, and I like the slightly smaller scale length (25") with 24 frets.

Comment

Looking at the SE Standard 24. Seems to fit my budget, and I like the slightly smaller scale length (25") with 24 frets.
                  Thanks. I just looked up PRS' description of that guitar. Sounds like a quality guitar. I have seen comments in other forums that the 85/15 humbuckers in that guitar are well-liked. I would recommend you spend some time trying out the pickups that come stock in the guitar through your rig after you get the guitsr, to know if you like them or still want to replace them with the Tone Zone and a Cuiser-like Neck humbucker.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-16-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Like was said, you need a "superswitch".

I agree that you should try it first with the existing pups. You may find that you like those that come in the guitar. If not, let us know what your specific complaints are with those pups and what you would like to achieve with new pups and we can help you select the best pups for your needs.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Make sure you play one first. The wide-thin neck is a different feel from a gibson or fender type of neck. It reminds me more of the old Ibanez early 90s era wizard necks. Not a good/bad thing, but it's... wide and thin

Agreed on giving the stock pickups a fair shake. I have a Zach Myers with stock pickups. The bridge is fine, but the neck pickup has a character all its own that I'd probably not change. It's very unique and I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Like was said, you need a "superswitch".

I agree that you should try it first with the existing pups. You may find that you like those that come in the guitar. If not, let us know what your specific complaints are with those pups and what you would like to achieve with new pups and we can help you select the best pups for your needs.
                        Sounds like a good plan- I haven't played PRS pickups in almost 20 years, and my tastes may have changed...

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
                        Make sure you play one first. The wide-thin neck is a different feel from a gibson or fender type of neck. It reminds me more of the old Ibanez early 90s era wizard necks. Not a good/bad thing, but it's... wide and thin

Agreed on giving the stock pickups a fair shake. I have a Zach Myers with stock pickups. The bridge is fine, but the neck pickup has a character all its own that I'd probably not change. It's very unique and I like it.
                        Thanks for this. I actually was not a fan of the 90s wizard necks. However, the value proposition of these PRS's, coupled with the fact that I want 24 frets and <25.5 scale length, may outweigh my neck preference.

Comment

Yeah, it's not exactly like a Wizard, but certainly has a noticeable difference. They are fantastic guitars, and I know guys who say they adapted to it pretty quickly.

Comment

I actually was not a fan of the 90s wizard necks. However, the value proposition of these PRS's, coupled with the fact that I want 24 frets and <25.5 scale length, may outweigh my neck preference.
                            25.5"? I thought the PRS had a 25" scale.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              25.5"? I thought the PRS had a 25" scale.
                              *less than 25.5

Comment

Working...
                              X