banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adding 5-way selector to H-H PRS? Is this config possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: adding 5-way selector to H-H PRS? Is this config possible?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I will make a sticky thread today for this. Thank you for looking it over.
    Thanks
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Note: The Carvin actually has to separate two-way switches, not push-pull knobs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	5818772

Comment

I think the Megaswitch, model P does the PRS rotary thing .
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
          Note: The Carvin actually has to separate two-way switches, not push-pull knobs:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104230[/ATTACH]
          Ok, that doesn't actually impact the wiring in the last diagram i provided. It just means that the two switches are not in actuality physically connected to the two pots as they are depicted in that drawing. Let me know if you can work with that or me issuing a modded drawing would be needed.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I think the Megaswitch, model P does the PRS rotary thing .
            Yes, the Megaswitch P Model does support the "classic" 5 pickup combinations of a PRS Rotary.

But the OP wants each humbucker available as splitcoil alone (in addition to two of them combined). The classic PRS Rotary scheme only offers the splitcoils in the "two combined" configuration, not standalone.

Name:	PRS Wiring Scheme using Rotary Switch - per StewMacDotCom - w Poles and Contacts labeled.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	5818784

Also, the Megaswitch P is a blade style switch. The OP wrote earlier that since his guitar has a toggle-style switch, he would like to avoid having to cut/route the guitar to fit a blade-style switch.

Name:	20200415_154017.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	5818785

A rotary style superswitch would be a no-cut/no-route required alternative, but it (nor any superswitch) has enough poles to do all that the OP requested. Even with a superswitch, one additional switch would still be required. Also, the OP would have to let us know if he is ok with the different physical mannerism that is required to operate a rotary switch vs a toggle and blade. Some guitarists depise rotary style switches for that reason alone.

Comment

I'm realizing I'm not certain whether the inner coil configuration I'm after is in parallel, or in series. The configuration I want is from the stock Ibanez Petrucci JPM 100 I used to have. Here is the wiring diagram.

Is this series or parallel for the inner coils?

Name:	1997_JPM100_wiring_diagram.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	5818950

nb- I believe I may ultimately want to position the neck HB with the screw coil facing the neck and the slug coil facing the bridge. I believe this would force me to put my Dimarzio Evolution pickup with the hotter coil facing the neck, which is how I have it configured in another guitar now.

Btw, thanks for the fantastic info!

Comment

I'm realizing I'm not certain whether the inner coil configuration I'm after is in parallel, or in series. The configuration I want is from the stock Ibanez Petrucci JPM 100 I used to have. Here is the wiring diagram.

Is this series or parallel for the inner coils?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104554[/ATTACH]

nb- I believe I may ultimately want to position the neck HB with the screw coil facing the neck and the slug coil facing the bridge. I believe this would force me to put my Dimarzio Evolution pickup with the hotter coil facing the neck, which is how I have it configured in another guitar now.

Btw, thanks for the fantastic info!
                That switch activates the two inner coils in Parallel in the middle position.

I can't recall if you ever specified what two pickups you will be using in this project? I see from your comment above that one will be a Dmz Evolution. Would that be in the bridge or neck? And what is the make-model of the other pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                  That switch activates the two inner coils in Parallel in the middle position.

I can't recall if you ever specified what two pickups you will be using in this project? I see from your comment above that one will be a Dmz Evolution. Would that be in the bridge or neck? And what is the make-model of the other pickup?
                  Thanks for confirming the inner coils are parallel.

Yes- I'm very happy with the sound of my Dmz Evolution in the bridge position, with the hotter coil facing the neck.

I'm actually not set on a neck PU yet. Ideally, it would be something that maintains both clarity and sweetness in a high-gain application (using a Mesa Mark III). I'm OK with something that's not forgiving, if it has really nice tone. Also, I'd like something that can at least evoke a "strat style" sound when I split the neck PU and activate the coil closest to the neck (I would describe the sound I'm looking for as "warm and bell-like"). If all of this exists in a neck PU that comes to mind, I'm happy to get suggestions! Also, something with a bit higher output to match up against the Evo would be a plus, but I'm already anticipating having to adjust the height of the PU's if I need to compensate for a large discrepancy in outputs.

One pickup that I've looked into and am intrigued by is the Seymour Duncan Sentient for the neck.

Comment

Eric,

I just spotted that the original diagram has an error where splitcoil mode is active in the Bridge push-pull down position instead of the up position. Remind me to corrext for that when we resume on this project.
                    Just wanted to follow up with this post you made. I'm actually going to drop my guitar off to someone to wire it for me on Friday. This diagram will be extremely helpful so that there's no confusion of him knowing what I want. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Comment

One other note- my guitar only has 1 tone knob and 1 volume knob

Comment

Just wanted to follow up with this post you made. I'm actually going to drop my guitar off to someone to wire it for me on Friday. This diagram will be extremely helpful so that there's no confusion of him knowing what I want. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
                        One other note- my guitar only has 1 tone knob and 1 volume knob
                        Just saw these. Ok, will work on the final version this evening.

Comment

Just saw these. Ok, will work on the final version this evening.
                          Here ya go. Let me know what you think of the different pickup combinations after you've tried them out for awhile.

Name:	KmBfG8B.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	5819028

Comment

Here ya go. Let me know what you think of the different pickup combinations after you've tried them out for awhile.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104705[/ATTACH]
                            I absolutely will! Will try to post some clips, as well, with different config's. Thanks again

Comment

I love this configuration, and believe this will be my go to configuration for my guitars. Here are my favorite settings:

I also was hoping you could help with another wiring- same thing, but adding a middle single coil. Details to follow!

Comment

I love this configuration, and believe this will be my go to configuration for my guitars. Here are my favorite settings:

I also was hoping you could help with another wiring- same thing, but adding a middle single coil. Details to follow!
                                Eric,

It's great to hear that the wiring scheme worked out without issues and that you ended up really liking some of the pickup combinations.

If it's not too much trouble to do, it would be really helpful if you updated the description of the video to say what positions are being heard when, e.g. "0:05-0:15 = Position 1, 0:16-0:21 = Inner Coils" etc. If that's a hassle, no problem, but maybe you could reply here telling us the positions that you really liked?

I would be glad to help out on your HSS wiring scheme question, but it would be best if you started a new thread for that topic.

Again, glad it worked out, thanks for letting us know how it ended up!

Comment

Working...
                                X