Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adding 5-way selector to H-H PRS? Is this config possible?

Default adding 5-way selector to H-H PRS? Is this config possible?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a guitar for a very specific purpose, and feel a 24-fret H-H PRS will fit my needs/budget, assuming this is all possible:

1. (I assume this is simple) Can I swap in a 5-way pickup selector?

2. Can I configure it this way?

a. Bridge HB full

b. Both HB's in parallel

c. Inner coils of Both HB's (was the middle position of my previously-owned Ibanez Petrucci JPM-100, I believe?)

d. Outer coil of neck HB

e. Neck HB full

3. I need to pick a neck HB. I currently use a DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck of my strat-style H-S-S configured Kramer Pacer. Is there a HB that might be similar? I love the Cruiser's thick, rich, yet still Strat-y tones. FWIW I will be pairing with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge

Default Re: adding 5-way selector to H-H PRS? Is this config possible?

I have a H H warmoth strat with Dimarzio's 5-way switch that has like, 25 contact points. (I think it's the EP 1112) As far as I know, damn near any split combo is possible with that type of switch, but you really have to know what you're doing to wire it up. (I didn't wire mine myself).

My favorite dimarzio neck pickup is the Fred. I've had it paired with PAF pro, a D Activator, and a Super distortion and I've been happy with it every time.
    Last edited by pskorz; 03-11-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Correction: I'm actually pairing with an Evolution in the bridge... not sure why Tone Zone came through my head when I was typing...

Quote Originally Posted by pskorz View Post
    I have a H H warmoth strat with Dimarzio's 5-way switch that has like, 25 contact points. (I think it's the EP 1112) As far as I know, damn near any split combo is possible with that type of switch, but you really have to know what you're doing to wire it up. (I didn't wire mine myself).

My favorite dimarzio neck pickup is the Fred. I've had it paired with PAF pro, a D Activator, and a Super distortion and I've been happy with it every time.
    Thanks. Yeah, I would have someone else wire it for me.

Have you ever split the Fred in the neck position?

I have. In an old RG, the # 4 position, I'm pretty sure was one coil of the Fred and the middle single coil. It was nice and stratty. Currently, I have it paired with a D Activator in the bridge (which will soon be replaced with a super dist -though I kinda like the D activator, but that's a whole other story). It's wired in whatever the regular PRS style is, so both hums are on full in 1 and 5, and in 4, 3, and 2 it's like the inner coil of each in parallel, each inner in series, then one other combo, I don't remember exactly. It sounds nice split. I think the coils are mismatched, so exactly which one you use would have some impact on the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking to get a guitar for a very specific purpose, and feel a 24-fret H-H PRS will fit my needs/budget, assuming this is all possible:

1. (I assume this is simple) Can I swap in a 5-way pickup selector?

2. Can I configure it this way?

a. Bridge HB full

b. Both HB's in parallel

c. Inner coils of Both HB's (was the middle position of my previously-owned Ibanez Petrucci JPM-100, I believe?)

d. Outer coil of neck HB

e. Neck HB full

3. I need to pick a neck HB. I currently use a DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck of my strat-style H-S-S configured Kramer Pacer. Is there a HB that might be similar? I love the Cruiser's thick, rich, yet still Strat-y tones. FWIW I will be pairing with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge
    Yes, those combinations in those exact positions are possible with a 4 pole 5 way switch, a.k.a. "superswitch." Head's up: it is not possible to get what you want fron a 2 pole 5 way switch, to spare you the time. The deal-breaker for that switch is you want neck inner coil in one position but also neck outer coil in another positon.

I am glad to help you create a wiring diagram for what you decide on. Let me know.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-11-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
    The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    I've been slammed here a few times myself for not going with the crowd. I'd rather go in a different direction, and know why, then follow everyone else and not know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    Yes, those combinations in those exact positions are possible with a 4 pole 5 way switch, a.k.a. "superswitch." Head's up: it is not possible to get what you want fron a 2 pole 5 way switch, to spare you the time. The deal-breaker for that switch is you want neck inner coil in one position but also neck outer coil in another positon.

I am glad to help you create a wiring diagram for what you decide on. Let me know.
    Thanks so much. I haven't committed to pulling the trigger yet, but may soon... this is really helpful.

Thanks so much. I haven't committed to pulling the trigger yet, but may soon... this is really helpful.
    Cool. So what specific PRS model(s) are you considering?
    The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware.
    I've been slammed here a few times myself for not going with the crowd. I'd rather go in a different direction, and know why, then follow everyone else and not know why.

Cool. So what specific PRS model(s) are you considering?
    Looking at the SE Standard 24. Seems to fit my budget, and I like the slightly smaller scale length (25") with 24 frets.

Looking at the SE Standard 24. Seems to fit my budget, and I like the slightly smaller scale length (25") with 24 frets.
    Thanks. I just looked up PRS' description of that guitar. Sounds like a quality guitar. I have seen comments in other forums that the 85/15 humbuckers in that guitar are well-liked. I would recommend you spend some time trying out the pickups that come stock in the guitar through your rig after you get the guitsr, to know if you like them or still want to replace them with the Tone Zone and a Cuiser-like Neck humbucker.

https://m.samash.com/prs-se-standard....google.com%2F
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-16-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Like was said, you need a "superswitch".

I agree that you should try it first with the existing pups. You may find that you like those that come in the guitar. If not, let us know what your specific complaints are with those pups and what you would like to achieve with new pups and we can help you select the best pups for your needs.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Make sure you play one first. The wide-thin neck is a different feel from a gibson or fender type of neck. It reminds me more of the old Ibanez early 90s era wizard necks. Not a good/bad thing, but it's... wide and thin

Agreed on giving the stock pickups a fair shake. I have a Zach Myers with stock pickups. The bridge is fine, but the neck pickup has a character all its own that I'd probably not change. It's very unique and I like it.

Like was said, you need a "superswitch".

I agree that you should try it first with the existing pups. You may find that you like those that come in the guitar. If not, let us know what your specific complaints are with those pups and what you would like to achieve with new pups and we can help you select the best pups for your needs.
    Sounds like a good plan- I haven't played PRS pickups in almost 20 years, and my tastes may have changed...

Quote Originally Posted by pskorz View Post
    Make sure you play one first. The wide-thin neck is a different feel from a gibson or fender type of neck. It reminds me more of the old Ibanez early 90s era wizard necks. Not a good/bad thing, but it's... wide and thin

Agreed on giving the stock pickups a fair shake. I have a Zach Myers with stock pickups. The bridge is fine, but the neck pickup has a character all its own that I'd probably not change. It's very unique and I like it.
    Thanks for this. I actually was not a fan of the 90s wizard necks. However, the value proposition of these PRS's, coupled with the fact that I want 24 frets and <25.5 scale length, may outweigh my neck preference.

Yeah, it's not exactly like a Wizard, but certainly has a noticeable difference. They are fantastic guitars, and I know guys who say they adapted to it pretty quickly.

I actually was not a fan of the 90s wizard necks. However, the value proposition of these PRS's, coupled with the fact that I want 24 frets and <25.5 scale length, may outweigh my neck preference.
    25.5"? I thought the PRS had a 25" scale.

25.5"? I thought the PRS had a 25" scale.
    *less than 25.5

*less than 25.5
    So is 24.9" (Martin), and 24.75" (Gibson), 24.5" (PRS Santana), 24" (Jaguar), etc.

Accuracy is not a bad thing.

But I get your point...you want a neck with a shorter scale than the typical Fender 25.5". Most PRSs are 25" so that will suit your taste unless you choose the Santana which is 24.5", even shorter than Gibson.

I've played some of the PRS SE Standards, even signature models, and was extremely unimpressed with their playability and quality. Yes the price seems reasonable at $500, but you'll need to also spend over $100 to have a good fret job and setup done and still end up with a so-so guitar. And if you buy it, don't like it, never play it, buy something better...then that $500 was just flushed down the toilet. I would take that $500 and apply it to a better quality instrument. You'll spend less in the long run and be much happier playing a better instrument. I haven't played the SE Custom 24, but I suspect that the quality will be much better for less than $200 more than you'll end up spending on the SE Standard.
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-21-2020 at 08:16 AM.

So is 24.9" (Martin), and 24.75" (Gibson), 24.5" (PRS Santana), 24" (Jaguar), etc.

But I get your point...you want a neck with a shorter scale than the typical Fender 25.5". Most PRSs are 25" so that will suit your taste unless you choose the Santana which is 24.5", even shorter than Gibson.

I've played some of the PRS SE Standards, even signature models, and was extremely unimpressed with their playability and quality. Yes the price seems reasonable at $500, but you'll need to also spend over $100 to have a good fret job and setup done and still end up with a so-so guitar. And if you buy it, don't like it, never play it, buy something better...then that $500 was just flushed down the toilet. I would take that $500 and apply it to a better quality instrument. You'll spend less in the long run and be much happier playing a better instrument. I haven't played the SE Custom 24, but I suspect that the quality will be much better for less than $200 more than you'll end up spending on the SE Standard.
    EricComposer72,

That's some good input from GuitarDoc since its based on him having actually played one of the SE Standards.

You could alleviate any concerns that input raises by ideally playing one yourself in a store before you purchase, or next best if that is not possible, buying one from a store that has a solid Return policy so you can get all your money back (minus the cost of Return shipping, naturally) if you don't like how it plays.

Just to recap, I'm looking for a less than 25.5" scale length guitar with 24 frets, 2 humbuckers, and in the similar price-range of a PRS SE Standard. I should also add, I'm looking for a more "traditional" looking guitar- strat/LP/PRS is in line (not SG/jaguar shape). Your point about investing the extra couple hundred $'s in a PRS SE Custon is well taken.

EricComposer72,

That's some good input from GuitarDoc since its based on him having actually played one of the SE Standards.

You could alleviate any concerns that input raises by ideally playing one yourself in a store before you purchase, or next best if that is not possible, buying one from a store that has a solid Return policy so you can get all your money back (minus the cost of Return shipping, naturally) if you don't like how it plays.
    Due to the current situation in NYC, I'm seriously considering going the online-shopping route, with a return policy, and just eating the shipping costs I deem that model a dud. The PRS SE Custom is intriguing, though.

update: I may be able to get my hands on a Carvin DC 200 (my father owns it, doens't play it much). I have a DC 727 and love it.

His has two Seymour Duncan HB's, a 3-way switch, and two coil-split (2-position) switches.

If I do end up in possession of this guitar, perhaps I would swap the 3-way switch with this 6-way switch:

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...RoCj8UQAvD_BwE

I'm under the impression that replacing a 3-way switch with a 5-way switch would involve routing.

Question: could I use this 6-way switch, as well as the coil-split switches, to have an overall configuration where I can isolate any coil on the guitar?

For example:

6-way switch configuration: a) Bridge HB full - both HB's parallel - Neck HB full; b) Bridge HB inner coil - both HB inner coils in parallel - Neck HB inner coil

Coil-split switches configuration: a) Bridge HB full - Bridge HB outer coil; b) Neck HB full - Neck HB outer coil

update: I may be able to get my hands on a Carvin DC 200 (my father owns it, doens't play it much). I have a DC 727 and love it.

His has two Seymour Duncan HB's, a 3-way switch, and two coil-split (2-position) switches.

If I do end up in possession of this guitar, perhaps I would swap the 3-way switch with this 6-way switch:

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...RoCj8UQAvD_BwE

I'm under the impression that replacing a 3-way switch with a 5-way switch would involve routing.

Question: could I use this 6-way switch, as well as the coil-split switches, to have an overall configuration where I can isolate any coil on the guitar?

For example:

6-way switch configuration: a) Bridge HB full - both HB's parallel - Neck HB full; b) Bridge HB inner coil - both HB inner coils in parallel - Neck HB inner coil

Coil-split switches configuration: a) Bridge HB full - Bridge HB outer coil; b) Neck HB full - Neck HB outer coil

Regarding routing required to fit in a 6 position Freeway switch: no, not that i am aware of. Could you elaborate more on what you read or heard that suggested that?

Regarding the pickup combinations you listed at the end of your last post: you could get all of those with the existing 3 way switch and 2 switches that are currently stock in the DC200 if they were rewired. Are you interested in doing that or you definitely want to use the Freeway instead? BTW, I am not sure if the Freeway could support all that you identified... either another forum member might be able to confirm or you could email the Freeway folks and ask.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-12-2020 at 09:46 PM.