SD Humbuckers into Peavey Odyssey with Coil Split - wiring confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Humbuckers into Peavey Odyssey with Coil Split - wiring confusion

My new Custom 5 and Jazz have arrived but am struggling with transposing the wiring configuration to the existing Peavey HBs with 3 way switch, and a coil split switch.

I'm aware that the color codes are different and was simply going to map the old peavey colors to the SD colors and connect like for like, but, the only relevant SD wiring diagram I can find (I have the 2 HBs, 2 Volumes, 2 tones and 3 way switch diagram from SD) does not have a coil split and also differs from my Peavey Odyssey:

This shows both green and grey wires going to both Volume pots, but my Peavey has different colors going to each pots - red and green which are equivalent to SD black and grey. It also shows both pickups in different orientation, but the Odyssey pups are both the same (2 little holes on the same side).

Suffice to say I'm a little confused so any gentle help would be appreciated.

The attached is the best diagram for the Odyssey I can find, and a picture from the Peavey forum (the coil split switch is top-right, thick black cable is the 3-way).

Many thanks in advance.

I have to go out right now so apologies if someone posts and I don't respond immediately.
    Attached Files

Re: SD Humbuckers into Peavey Odyssey with Coil Split - wiring confusion

Sounds like your peavey may well have had the pickups setup to be hum cancelling in the middle position when the splits are active.....which requires the colour codes to be reversed for each coil and 1 pickup to have the polarity of the mag changed (flipped).
    You can choose merely to keep the colour codes for the 2 Duncans identical. It will mean no hum cancelling (the same as the other 2 setting whilst split).

Not sure what you are specifically meaning by 'pickup in different orientation'. If you mean its physically rotated in the guitar then this makes no functional difference to the sound practically speaking.

Comment

Thanks Alex r, I thought it might be something to do with noise cancelling but was in no way sure. I guess It's safe to copy the existing wiring pattern in the guitar and make sure I transpose the Peavey/sd color codes correctly. Fingers crossed

Comment

There are only so many ways that it could wrong with the colours, and easy enough to try a couple of different options.
        Who knows, if its out of phase you might like the tone?

Comment

You don't need to worry about the color code of your existing pick ups since you are taking them out anyway.

Just use this diagram and its color code for the new Duncan pups. It shows two p/p pots for splitting each pup individually but if you want to use just one p/p to split both pups at the same time, just wire one of the pups to the unused side of the other p/p pot.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Many thanks GuitarDoc. I get a dead link on the docs but I fitted the pups yesterday by just replicating the original wiring and all seems to check out with the multimeter re coil splitting and pickup selection. More importantly, Wow,they sound amazing. What a difference from the stock pups. Thanks for the recommendations! I've only explored the Jazz so far, but will give the Custom 5 a run tonight. One happy customer.

Comment

Working...
            X