No announcement yet.

Reversible ways to block a Floyd Rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversible ways to block a Floyd Rose?

I have a floyd rose equipped guitar that I love to death. The only issue being the floyd rose itself. I don't use it at all anymore. I'm contemplating cutting a piece of wood to insert and block it into place. Before I do that I wanted to ask advice, what are your guys favorite ways to block off a floyd rose that are still reversible down the line if I get the itch to use it again?

Re: Reversible ways to block a Floyd Rose?

Cut two thin strips of wood and wedge them on either side of the block. Take 'em out when you don't want it blocked any more.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I use a BlackBox they are kind of pricy at $49 but FU Tone has options starting at $19 that are efficient and work great.

Tremolo Stabilizer. The classic add-on unit which puts every Floyd Rose style- or Fender-style tremolo into a fixed rest position.

Comment

If you want something that's reversible and VERY cheap, just take the trem bar out.

Comment

A stack of pennies, stack them until they're just under the size you need, tape them together so they don't fall apart. Do the same on either side of the tremolo block. Then fill in the gaps with shims made of playing cards, till it doesn't move. Very easy, very solid, and very easily reversibly.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

The block of wood shaped into a wedge seems like the easiest method, and doesn't require tools or anything to remove. It also doesn't add much weight.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I made some of these in the shop a few years ago

Now they sell them pretty cheap

Tremolo Stopper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPSYA74..._8vwBEbCCWVVDK
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Those are not for blocking to prevent movement. They only allow down movement of the bar, with no pull-up.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  Those are not for blocking to prevent movement. They only allow down movement of the bar, with no pull-up.
                  technically true but setting it up for dive only solves all practical disadvantages of a full-floater with minimal effort and cost.

Comment

Thus the name "Blocking"
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It is the less complicated version of Secrubs
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I once blocked the FR on my Kramer with a piece of wood in between the trem on the springs side and body and tightened the springs so the bridge didn't move.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                          technically true but setting it up for dive only solves all practical disadvantages of a full-floater with minimal effort and cost.
                          Except if you bend strings, you're still gonna get the de-tune on everything else that's ringing.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
                          --------------------------------------------------------
                          1973 Aria 551
                          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                            Except if you bend strings, you're still gonna get the de-tune on everything else that's ringing.

No, if you set it dive only and tighten the claw way down (and or put on lots of springs) you can make the bridge rock solid. I used to do those country style steel pedal licks where you bend the one string while holding the other all the time on a guitar with a trem set up this way, no going out of tune at all. Even when you snap a string.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              No, if you set it dive only and tighten the claw way down (and or put on lots of springs) you can make the bridge rock solid. I used to do those country style steel pedal licks where you bend the one string while holding the other all the time on a guitar with a trem set up this way, no going out of tune at all. Even when you snap a string.
                              Oh yeah, with increased spring tension it'd work, yeah.

--------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                              X