X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss DS-1 video

Here is a guy with some great tips on this pedal

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Boss DS-1 video

It all about the user isn't it. IMO the same holds true for many other Boss drives.

Comment

meh

Comment

Bump for CB'78 Thread readers.

Comment

He's wrong in the first minute and 1/2, the original DS-1 was different than the current version. The original was smoother and warmer although good tones can be had from either. But he is totally correct that it works best push an already crunchy amp rather than running through a totally clean amp. Satriani, Vai, and Lynch all used the DS-1 back in the day.

Original MIJ (and early MIT) schematic, notice single 7136 opamp:

Current DS-1, notice dual opamp:
          Last edited by devastone; 03-21-2020, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Noted that the original was a different circuit. That said - all the same rules apply...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              He's wrong in the first minute and 1/2, the original DS-1 was different than the current version. The original was smoother and warmer although good tones can be had from either. But he is totally correct that it works best push an already crunchy amp rather than running through a totally clean amp. Satriani, Vai, and Lynch all used the DS-1 back in the day.

Original MIJ (and early MIT) schematic, notice single 7136 opamp:

Current DS-1, notice dual opamp:

When did they make the change?
              Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

79 ???
                Last edited by Aceman; 03-24-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

1994 was the end of the 7136 opamp (from https://www.electrosmash.com/boss-ds1-analysis)

1- Boss DS-1 Circuit Versions - During its life, the Boss DS-1 Distortion has had two schematic revisions due to components availability:

a. 1978 Original First Release using the Toshiba TA7136AP pre-amplifier (it is not an op-amp) with the circuit labeled as “DS-1”. Made in Japan, with a distinguishable silver screw.
                  In terms of sound, it gives the warmest distortion, offering glints of grittiness and smoothness at the same time. This first model had some inconveniences like momentary LED and the need for an external power supply. As usual, this model is the most expensive/difficult to find and it is claimed to produce the best sound.

b. 1994 Second Release using the Rohm BA728N op-amp (Made in Japan). The previous TA7136AP integrated circuit was at the end of its stock life, so the whole circuit design was modified (re-labeled as “DS1-A”) to accommodate a standard easy to find and replace dual op-amp.
                  This model is not very loud with a transparent drive. It is versatile; almost clean at lower gain setting with a serious edge at high gain (slight hiss is noticeable at higher gain settings). From now on, all the models are commonly called post '94.

c. 2000 Third Release using the Mitsubishi M5223AL op-amp (Made in Taiwan) and also using the previous “DS1-A” circuit diagram that will prevail until today. It is the loudest among all the models, at higher gain settings the distortion is fizzy (poorly made fuzz) with some noise. There are some popular mods to improve its tone making it thicker/stronger and more versatile (Tri-Gain / JHS / Keeley / Analogman)

d. 2006 Forth Release when the New Japan Radio NJM2904L op-amp was introduced with the usual DS1-A circuit. Cheap, easy to find and perfect for mods.
                  Last edited by devastone; 03-22-2020, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I've always liked the DS-1, but like the guy in the video said . . . you pretty much need to run it with the tone off and gain under 1/2 way. It does a really nice sound into a dirty amp, but I like something that sounds great into a clean amp.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      I've always liked the DS-1, but like the guy in the video said . . . you pretty much need to run it with the tone off and gain under 1/2 way. It does a really nice sound into a dirty amp, but I like something that sounds great into a clean amp.
                      The original version of the DS-1 is much better into a clean amp, I think that's what Satch did for his first few albums. BYOC has an Orange Distortion kit that has the original chip if you want to relive the glory. If you are into soldering, the GGG BSIAB is another great pedal, as is their Guv'nor clone of the original, and it's a great time for projects assuming your income isn't on hold.

Of course, there are plenty of OTS pedals that are great, and I know you already know that.

Comment

Most people sadly don't know how to use a drive pedal. I learned really late myself and I sold some pedals I wish I still kept around.

The DS1 is picky as hell, but worth it. I had a great lesson on it in one of those Boss totems with 20+ pedals you find in music stores.
                        Tried the BD2, DS1, MT2, OD1, SD1, Metal Core and a few others.

It's cool in stock form IMO.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          The original version of the DS-1 is much better into a clean amp, I think that's what Satch did for his first few albums. BYOC has an Orange Distortion kit that has the original chip if you want to relive the glory. If you are into soldering, the GGG BSIAB is another great pedal, as is their Guv'nor clone of the original, and it's a great time for projects assuming your income isn't on hold.

Of course, there are plenty of OTS pedals that are great, and I know you already know that.
                          May solder one together at some point . . . the DS-1 sound is great for what it is. I settled on the BD-2 twenty odd years ago though, and it's pretty well ingrained in my brain as far as what I like though. :P
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Bump to be with DS1 mod thread

Comment

My 2 cents.

I used a stock DS-1 into clean Fender amps for years with no problems. I liked the sound of it with the gain cranked and using the volume knob on my guitar to control the gain amount. Running an EQ after can make it sound much better. Also running a TS or Klon with it can work wonders. It's useless to Mod a DS-1 if you don't like the sound stock. Just step away and go with something else. I'm currently using a MXR '78 Distortion (which is a Keeley modded DS-1. I am also running a MXR Il Diavolo with it and together they sound great-in fact so good in fact that I sold off the Barber drive pedals I had been collecting) It's a keeper for me, I understand that the tone must be kept down but I'm not buying for second that a DS-1 doesn't work with a clean amp....that's BS.
                              Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Working...
                              X