Newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question

Hi, recently we bought our son a used Squier Stratocaster Standard, to which the original pick ups were changed to Alnico V single coil style humbuckers with split coils. Don't know the brand, even though they look like the Duncan Everything Axe set. I've looked at other stats and the pick ups look kind of low on my son's guitar. What is a good all around height that we can set his to guitar as a starting point?

Re: Newbie question

welcome to the forum!

duncan recommends a good starting place is about 3/32" for the bridge pup, then adjust the others to match the output. typically the bridge pup would be closest and neck furthest from the strings but there are no rules

Comment

Some Strat players like to set the pickups really low, like flat with the pickguard. I played one for a brief time a long time ago and I set the bridge pickup high enough that a nickel would just fit between the pole piece and the E string. The middle and neck pickups were more like 1/4" and 5/16".

Comment

Jeremy is absolutely correct...there are no rules. You are correct in asking for a "starting point". About an 1/8" is a good point to start, then adjust up or down and see how it affects the sound and performance of your pup and adjust as desired.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

And - when these guys all say 3/32 or 1/8 they are referring to the distance when the strings are held down at the last fret

Also - don't worry too much about this. Until your son decides that he needs to squeeze the perfect tone out of said Strat...not an issue. As long as the guitar is not too quiet or so loud it distorts when it shouldn't...it's fine.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
          X