banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needing help - my ground wire snapped and is too short now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing help - my ground wire snapped and is too short now.

Hi there, I need some help. The ground wire leading to the pickup snapped and is too short to reattach to the pots. What do I do? I am at a loss.

Re: Needing help - my ground wire snapped and is too short now.

do you have any heat shrink tubing? One way to fix it is to extend the wire by soldering two wire ends together, then use the heat shrink tubing as insulation over the exposed wires.

Comment

Originally posted by spi View Post
      do you have any heat shrink tubing? One way to fix it is to extend the wire by soldering two wire ends together, then use the heat shrink tubing as insulation over the exposed wires.
      Welcome to the forum!

This advice is absolutely what I do, when that happens. It is common when you buy a used pickup, as many people shorten the wires.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Spi- I do have heat shrink and the heat gun. If I wanted to extend the ground would I tip the end of the original ground and the new wire with solder to connect them and then heat shrink everything together afterwards? Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Yep, a solder connection between the two wires (you can twist them together first which also helps keep them in place) then heatshrink over the top.

Comment

Don't just put the two ends together and solder them. As Alex just said, twist them first, then solder them, then put some heat shrink on.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X