banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Reverse Headstock make the the string trees unnecessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Reverse Headstock make the the string trees unnecessary?

as in the thread title
    does it make a difference with string trees

I like the inline tuners
    but not so much the trees

I know I could use staggered tuners
    or a tilt back headstock (like my Ibanez)

can I simply reverse the headstock and achieve the same thing?
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Re: Does Reverse Headstock make the the string trees unnecessary?

No, still need them for the longer strings. With a reverse headstock the low strings are at a very low break angle. (Assuming Fender style headstock)
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The trees are all about downward angle over the nut. Unless reversing the headstock suddenly reverses the effect of reality or physics, you are still going to have some strings where the back angle over the nut is quite shallow.
      These strings will now be the thicker ones, where you often hit hard for chords.

Comment

And reverse headstocks are a pain in the @$$ when changing strings and when tuning. Look cool though...
        “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Well so much for that

What about 3x3 on a non tilted headstock?
          The long strings would be half as long and centered
          EHD

Comment

Nope!

Comment

Staggered tuners may be an option - someone must make a lefty version.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Staggered tuners (or a new, different tuner design) would be the only way to get away from string trees or the retaining bar.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                  Staggered tuners may be an option - someone must make a lefty version.
                  Kluson HAP tuners have an adjustable length afaik.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I tried a few strats with the classic headstock angle design but I just can't get a trem to be really, properly stable. So I now moved towards angled strat headstocks. It's just a better way for me. 7 degrees, by the way. Works like a charm. (not a typo: seven degrees).

Comment

I was thinking the Gibson tilt was a bit excessive
                      EHD

Comment

Staggered tuners are really a joke. They essentially solve nothing. They may reduce the height of up to 1-2 mm over regular tuners...depending on how you wind the strings on them (I always wind my strings so they are coming off of the tuner posts as close to the headstock as realistically possible anyways). This extra 2 mm only increases the head tilt by about one degree! Not enough to make any effective difference in breakangle whatsoever.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          Staggered tuners are really a joke. They essentially solve nothing. They may reduce the height of up to 1-2 mm over regular tuners...depending on how you wind the strings on them (I always wind my strings so they are coming off of the tuner posts as close to the headstock as realistically possible anyways). This extra 2 mm only increases the head tilt by about one degree! Not enough to make any effective difference in breakangle whatsoever.
                          I agree. They were more trouble than worth, so I stopped doing staggered

Comment

I really don't understand why they were made (or even designed) in the first place.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

With a reverse headstock, I get more sympathetic ring from the mid-lower strings than when the top strings are longer so if I don't use trees, I still have to use those pick wedges to stop the string vibration. However, the string response, bending, sustain, changes in a better more playable way for me. I haven't analyzed why, but I just noticed it played better for me, particularly note bending, finger vibrato, and even ring/sustain of chords.

Comment

Working...
                              X