Most Versatile Tele Pickup Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Versatile Tele Pickup Set

IÂ’m looking to install a new set of pickups into my Squier Classic Vibe 60Â’s Tele Custom, and hook them up to a 4 way switch. IÂ’m looking to install a set that can cover a wide variety of genres. IÂ’m looking for a set thatÂ’s not too hot, not too ice-picky and the neck is not too muddy. Do you all have any recommended sets?

So far, IÂ’m looking at the Fender Nocaster set, Fender Yosemite set, Alnico II pro set, La Brea set,
    Lollar J-Street/Royal T combo, and the Mojotone Broadcaster bridge/Hot Rod neck combo. Open to other suggestions though.

Re: Most Versatile Tele Pickup Set

I'd go with a Broadcater in the bridge, and something like a Strat pickup or PAF-type in the neck for versatility.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I'd go with a Broadcater in the bridge, and something like a Strat pickup or PAF-type in the neck for versatility.
      I appreciate the suggestion. I’m looking to keep it relatively traditional (i.e. 2 single coils). I wish Fender would allow you to mix and match pickup sets because a Nocaster bridge/Twisted Tele Neck combo or a Twisted Tele bridge/Nocaster neck combo would probably have been my first choices.

The Mojotone Broadcaster sounds killer from the demos I’ve seen. I haven’t checked out any demos of the SD Broadcaster pickup but from the profile on this site it seems like it has a lot of top-end which I’m not really a fan of.

Comment

If you are into low wound pickups, you can take a 4 way switch into consideration. With a RwRp neck you can get a decent humbucker sound.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

the Jerry Donahue lead pickup plus a STR1 Vintage tele Neck is my to-go allround set in a telecaster, with or without a 4 way switch. it's got the twang and clank but no harshness on the bridge and it has a woody, slightly honky (but in the best way) in the neck.

Comment

that le brea set looks pretty sweet

Comment

I haven't tried a lot, but I really like Twisted Tele neck. Still searching for the right bridge. I currently have a Quarter Pound in there, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                the Jerry Donahue lead pickup plus a STR1 Vintage tele Neck is my to-go allround set in a telecaster, with or without a 4 way switch. it's got the twang and clank but no harshness on the bridge and it has a woody, slightly honky (but in the best way) in the neck.
                Thanks for the tip! I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Jerry Donahue pickup, like that it’s got a lot of output and bite for a pickup that’s sub 8k DC and has alnico 2 magnets. I’m generally trying to keep the bridge pickup under 9k and alnico 2 or 3 magnets are definitely a plus.

Comment

DCR =/= measurement of output. Please, please, please learn that

Comment

+1

I love the twisted tele neck it is my favorite telecaster pickup. I have the set with a 4-way switch and really enjoy the variety of tones I get. I have never been a fan of tele bridge pickups so I don't use it alone much unless I am using distortion or fuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                      If you are into low wound pickups, you can take a 4 way switch into consideration. With a RwRp neck you can get a decent humbucker sound.
                      Yeah that’s generally what I’m going for. I have a 4 way switch and a new Wilkinson bridge w/ brass saddles ready to install, so the pickups are the last piece of the puzzle. I’m trying to keep the bridge pickup under 9k w/ alnico 2, 3 or 4 magnets and the neck between 7k and 7.8k with alnico 5 magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                        DCR =/= measurement of output. Please, please, please learn that
                        Good point. That’s something I’ve slowly been trying to change my way of thinking on when it comes to pickups. Thanks for pointing that out!

Comment

Originally posted by CK71 View Post
                          +1

I love the twisted tele neck it is my favorite telecaster pickup. I have the set with a 4-way switch and really enjoy the variety of tones I get. I have never been a fan of tele bridge pickups so I don't use it alone much unless I am using distortion or fuzz.
                          I’ve always had a positive experience with a Twisted Tele neck pickup whenever I’ve played a guitar that has one. Again, it’d be really cool of Fender if they let you but individual pickups instead of just buying sets.

Comment

the jd bridge is great. im not a huge fan of tele neck pups so always use a strat pup, firebird pup, or mini humbucker

Comment

Can I ask when you say you play a wide rage of music what are you playing?

Comment

Working...
                              X