Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It happened again... NAD!

Default Re: It happened again... NAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
    Lovepedal Les Lius.

My Bassman is even louder. I don't care what anyone says, you simply cannot push any of these sized amps into overdrive and have the volume be usable in any practical situation. Even large gigs I find the sound techs get pissy when your stage volume is too loud. Cause if I'm loud then the bass player has to turn up to match, and then the singer can't hear his monitors, etc. What they are is great clean platforms for pedals.
    Yeah, I get it. I don't play very loud onstage, and the best tone I've ever heard was a '71 Pro Reverb cranked up (40 watts or so). Everyone hated me, but man, did it sound great. I've never heard that sound at a lower volume, though, because if I could find it, I'd use it.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Yeah, I get it. I don't play very loud onstage, and the best tone I've ever heard was a '71 Pro Reverb cranked up (40 watts or so). Everyone hated me, but man, did it sound great. I've never heard that sound at a lower volume, though, because if I could find it, I'd use it.
    I've got a 5E3 Deluxe clone and even at 12 watts and a single 12" speaker that one can take over a stage if I turn it up too much. The only place I was ever able to crank it into natural drive and not have it be a problem for everyone else on stage was a large outdoor festival where the backline was 20 feet from the front of the stage. Otherwise in clubs the volume knob is around 2.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

depending on the speaker, ive been able to use my 5e3 clone on gigs a fair amount. 90% of the time the guitar isnt full up, but running into bright 1 with all the knobs at around 7 or 8 lets me get a ton of different blues rock tones. its loud but not crazy loud, the un-mic'd drums keep up just fine

Interesting. I've got the Weber 12A125a in mine. The tone is great but it's loud.
    -

i had a mojo tone bv12-30h in it for the longest time then swapped to a reconed vintage 30 to a g12h-30 55hz. i tried a jensen p12q in there and it was too peaky and cutting when i rolled the volume up. not sure it was any louder than the celestions but it sure cut through. a friend has a 12a150 in his 5e3 type amp and i like that too, mids are different than mine but the high end/upper mids dont cut like the p12q.

Hmm interesting. I've actually been mulling over a speaker swap in the Twin. Hearing good things about Celestion type speakers in them. Right now its got the stock Weber/Eminence alnicos which I've read are basically the 12A150.
    -

Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
    Interesting. I've got the Weber 12A125a in mine. The tone is great but it's loud.
    I have that speaker in 12" form in an open backed 1x12 cabinet. It's one of my favorite rock tone speakers!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.