Preamp pedals with tubes in them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preamp pedals with tubes in them

I loved my V-twin and the old Real Tube pedals weren't bad. In fact, I picked up one of the Real Tube amps for cheap and it's interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by BaritoneVitoND View Post
      I did run into a few comments online that said tubes in pedals are just gimmicks. That was one of my concerns.
      Usually you can find info whether pedals run tubes at high voltages. They often do these days, and by that are not just gimmicks.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I think as long as you don't fall into the 'it has tubes so it must sound better' hole. I've tried enough tube-based pedals to not see a pattern here- like any other dirt pedal, it is all in the design, and whether it gets the sound you like or not.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It’s very cool. I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on the Sheriff too, but I had to sell off a bunch of stuff just to pick up the Kraken.

Comment

I have the Blackstar HT Drive. It sounds absolutely terrible to me. But I've played quite a few Blackstar amps and didn't like them either. I can get way better sounds out of my Boss OD3.

Comment

This one gets me sweet sludgy tones all day long :

Click image for larger version

Name:	EHX Hot Tubes net small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	5818769
              Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

I have owned BK Butler Real Tube pedals and I own a modified Blue Tube pedal (uses an octal 6SL7) owned a Guyatone FLIP Metal Monster, AMT Freak TC Electronics Pilot and an Electro Harmonix English Muff'n. I still own a Behringer Vintage Tube Monster, Radial Engineering Tonebone Classic, 2 Rocktron Silver Dragons and a Fuchs Plush Valve Job. I ALWAYS change out the tube for NOS and sometimes a variant to suit my taste. I do like tubes in my pedals.

Comment

To get a real difference out of tubes you need to run them at high voltage, which the pedals do not. Same problem with tubes in some cheaper 19" gear and keyboards like the Korg Triton extreme.

They can still sound great, just saying it's not the same as a full voltage preamp.

Comment

The Victory, AMT, and some of the other true preamp pedals that are basically the front end of a tube amp, do run at high voltages (250V+). A lot of the pedals people are bringing up here are just distortion pedals that run the tube in starved mode, which is totally different. I "think" the OP was asking about preamp pedals.

Comment

Didn't Korg or someone include a tube in their pedal but put a little LED light behind it so the tube could glow?

Comment

The one I like best doesn't use a tube. But it's designed to create the sound Eric Johnson gets when he runs his Tube Driver into his Fuzzface. It's the white pedal at the lower left of my pedal board. Click image for larger version

Name:	567F0CA3-B533-4B5F-9CF3-F74E53571496.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	5818797
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The Dover Drive is supposed to be a great distortion pedal, not a preamp though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Didn't Korg or someone include a tube in their pedal but put a little LED light behind it so the tube could glow?
                            I think that is what the Korg Triton Extreme keyboard is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                              I’ve owned a couple of products that did just that.
                              How were they? Why don't you still own them?

Comment

I have AMT SS-20, super versatile and it can do metal (most demos are actually), can play live into a guitar power amp and do home recording (best results with cab IR). Sounds good enough for me at least, not planning on replacing it. There are other AMT Preamps that sound great too. If you are only into high gain metal then you should also try ISP Theta Preamp, I tried it once and it was amazing for that.
                                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                                X