Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridge Pickup to Thicken up a Bright Guitar

Default Re: Bridge Pickup to Thicken up a Bright Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    Super Distortion Bridge, 36th Anniversary neck..
    This. For a bright LP, the Super Distortion is the answer. Did this myself to a LP Trad Pro that's a little on the bright side and it did exactly what I was hoping. The neck is still stock ('57 Classic) but that might change down the road. No hurry.

OH THE DOUBLE THICK GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar

What kind of mag does a Super D have?
    We better get back
    Cuz it'll be dark soon
    And they mostly come at night
    Mostly

ceramic

I'd say if you wanted a PAF-type output, look at the Alnico II Pro, and if you want something more powerful, look at the Custom Custom. For something obscenely powerful, go for the Invader.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    ceramic
    Double thick ceramic.

Double thick mags are a direct remedy to the exact problems the op is talking about. But noone will get them cuz they cost $15. Better spend $80 on a new pup instead. Lol!
    We better get back
    Cuz it'll be dark soon
    Mostly

watching

Tone Member

Iíve got a used Tone Zone coming at some point in the near future, so weíll see how it goes. Iíve considered the Brobucker too, but I really donít want to pay Custom shop pricesóhence $50 for a used Tone Zone.

I think I do have some double-thick ceramics around that came out of a Duncan Designed Detonator set that I bought. I donít know if any of the pickups I have lying around would be a good candidate for one thoughómaybe the Custom, but probably not the Burstbucker thatís in there now.

Just to reiterate too, this is a Les Paul Special with a very thin mahogany body, not a regular Les Paul. I assume this is more in SG territory in terms of tone, but Iíve never owned an SG. And I assume plenty of Les Paul Specials and SGs sound inherently thicker than this guitar.
    Last edited by SweetClyde99; 03-24-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
    I’ve got a used Tone Zone coming at some point in the near future, so we’ll see how it goes. I’ve considered the Brobucker too, but I really don’t want to pay Custom shop prices—hence $50 for a used Tone Zone.

I think I do have some double-thick ceramics around that came out of a Duncan Designed Detonator set that I bought. I don’t know if any of the pickups I have lying around would be a good candidate for one though—maybe the Custom, but probably not the Burstbucker that’s in there now.

Just to reiterate too, this is a Les Paul Special with a very thin mahogany body, not a regular Les Paul. I assume this is more in SG territory in terms of tone, but I’ve never owned an SG. And I assume plenty of Les Paul Specials and SGs sound inherently thicker than this guitar.

Even in my traditional pro or R7, the BB3 is lacking a little low end, it's no surprise that you need more in the special. Tone Zone should work well for you.

Name:  20200324_151136.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  53.7 KB
    We better get back
    Cuz it'll be dark soon
    Mostly

Another option is to get a bridge with nylon saddles that takes the high end tinniness out. Worked for me for a terribly bright Godin guitar.

If your guitar has a Nashville type bridge:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...a_Saddles.html

Thin mahogany body? Then I would also add the Air Zone to the list of possibilities. Not the Tone Zone though.

Tone Member

The Tone Zone seems to suit this guitar better than anything I’ve tried so far. I still have to roll the tone pot down quite a bit but I’m finally getting a reasonably thick humbucker tone out of it now. My only concern so far is that the Tone Zone’s harmonic content is pretty crazy under heavy gain, and I wouldn't mind more of the fundamental note coming through, but I’m still getting used to it. I may learn to like it. At any rate, the TZ’s EQ is much closer to what this guitar needs. It’s definitely a step in the right direction.

Knowing that the Tone Zone is moving you in the right direction, but you need more highs rolled off, I'd say take a look at the DiMarzio Gravity Storm and Dreamcatcher models (or the slightly darker predecessor of the Dreamcatcher, the Sonic Ecstasy). If you can find one out in the wild still, the Breed would be another option to consider if you want a very similar tone to the TZ, but a little tamer/more polite character.

Tone Member

Gravity Storm looks interesting. That wasn’t even on my radar. That may be my next step from here after I live with the Tone Zone for a while. Thanks for the tip.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

It is still bright with the Tone Zone? May I suggest you try a Dimarzio Super 3? They are a bit hard to find used but cheap when you do find one. At least that was my experience. I think I paid $40 with shipping for the double cream one I bought a couple years back.
    Darker and thicker than the Tone Zone for sure. Just like a Super Distortion with the highs toned down. Made my bright, thin guitar sound thick as a brick.