Bridge Pickup to Thicken up a Bright Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bridge Pickup to Thicken up a Bright Guitar

Thin mahogany body? Then I would also add the Air Zone to the list of possibilities. Not the Tone Zone though.

Comment

The Tone Zone seems to suit this guitar better than anything I’ve tried so far. I still have to roll the tone pot down quite a bit but I’m finally getting a reasonably thick humbucker tone out of it now. My only concern so far is that the Tone Zone’s harmonic content is pretty crazy under heavy gain, and I wouldn't mind more of the fundamental note coming through, but I’m still getting used to it. I may learn to like it. At any rate, the TZ’s EQ is much closer to what this guitar needs. It’s definitely a step in the right direction.

Comment

Knowing that the Tone Zone is moving you in the right direction, but you need more highs rolled off, I'd say take a look at the DiMarzio Gravity Storm and Dreamcatcher models (or the slightly darker predecessor of the Dreamcatcher, the Sonic Ecstasy). If you can find one out in the wild still, the Breed would be another option to consider if you want a very similar tone to the TZ, but a little tamer/more polite character.

Comment

Gravity Storm looks interesting. That wasn’t even on my radar. That may be my next step from here after I live with the Tone Zone for a while. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

It is still bright with the Tone Zone? May I suggest you try a Dimarzio Super 3? They are a bit hard to find used but cheap when you do find one. At least that was my experience. I think I paid $40 with shipping for the double cream one I bought a couple years back.
            Darker and thicker than the Tone Zone for sure. Just like a Super Distortion with the highs toned down. Made my bright, thin guitar sound thick as a brick.

Comment

Working...
            X