Bridge Pickup to Thicken up a Bright Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bridge Pickup to Thicken up a Bright Guitar

Dimarzio Air Zone was made for this problem.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

The trick is not to overdo it and turn it into mud. I never heard of someone using a Tone Zone in a Gibson. An AT-1 would a bit less fat than a Tone Zone.

Comment

+1 on The Breed. Great for fattening up a bright guitar. Nice singing lead tone.
        AT-1 is a good one too - plenty of body to balance its bite, and it chunks well.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I think... if CC does not do the trick (i.e., thicken up the bridge and make it sound decent), I'd sell that guitar. Palm mutings should be fine with CC, it is not that soft.

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Overall thinking phattening bridge would be to balance what happends in bridge position - everything goes brittle kind of - like a HP filter on tone.
            So more bass and mids and not so much treble.

So agree with SuperDistortion, AT-1 and AirZone or ToneZone if talking DiMarzio. Or the same reasoning with Duncan.
            Superdistortion has bass 8, mid 7.5 and treble 5.5 - so balance out what happends moving to bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
              Super Distortion Bridge, 36th Anniversary neck..
              This. For a bright LP, the Super Distortion is the answer. Did this myself to a LP Trad Pro that's a little on the bright side and it did exactly what I was hoping. The neck is still stock ('57 Classic) but that might change down the road. No hurry.

Comment

What kind of mag does a Super D have?
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

ceramic

Comment

I'd say if you wanted a PAF-type output, look at the Alnico II Pro, and if you want something more powerful, look at the Custom Custom. For something obscenely powerful, go for the Invader.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      ceramic
                      Double thick ceramic.

Double thick mags are a direct remedy to the exact problems the op is talking about. But noone will get them cuz they cost $15. Better spend $80 on a new pup instead. Lol!
                      I bought them for you

Comment

watching

Comment

I’ve got a used Tone Zone coming at some point in the near future, so we’ll see how it goes. I’ve considered the Brobucker too, but I really don’t want to pay Custom shop prices—hence $50 for a used Tone Zone.

I think I do have some double-thick ceramics around that came out of a Duncan Designed Detonator set that I bought. I don’t know if any of the pickups I have lying around would be a good candidate for one though—maybe the Custom, but probably not the Burstbucker that’s in there now.

Just to reiterate too, this is a Les Paul Special with a very thin mahogany body, not a regular Les Paul. I assume this is more in SG territory in terms of tone, but I’ve never owned an SG. And I assume plenty of Les Paul Specials and SGs sound inherently thicker than this guitar.
                          Last edited by SweetClyde99; 03-24-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
                            I’ve got a used Tone Zone coming at some point in the near future, so we’ll see how it goes. I’ve considered the Brobucker too, but I really don’t want to pay Custom shop prices—hence $50 for a used Tone Zone.

I think I do have some double-thick ceramics around that came out of a Duncan Designed Detonator set that I bought. I don’t know if any of the pickups I have lying around would be a good candidate for one though—maybe the Custom, but probably not the Burstbucker that’s in there now.

Just to reiterate too, this is a Les Paul Special with a very thin mahogany body, not a regular Les Paul. I assume this is more in SG territory in terms of tone, but I’ve never owned an SG. And I assume plenty of Les Paul Specials and SGs sound inherently thicker than this guitar.

Even in my traditional pro or R7, the BB3 is lacking a little low end, it's no surprise that you need more in the special. Tone Zone should work well for you.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_151136.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	5818537
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Another option is to get a bridge with nylon saddles that takes the high end tinniness out. Worked for me for a terribly bright Godin guitar.

If your guitar has a Nashville type bridge:

Comment

Working...
                                X