X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: attn. smaller tube or SS amp users

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    thats basically a modeler aint it
    Essentially, yeah. Good attenuators are as expensive as another amp, too. I think it is just getting the right tool for the job. If you need something quiet, a big amp just isn't the right tool.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: attn. smaller tube or SS amp users

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Essentially, yeah. Good attenuators are as expensive as another amp, too. I think it is just getting the right tool for the job. If you need something quiet, a big amp just isn't the right tool.
      I agree...if a person was recording and wanted to use a bigger amp for a particular sound but can only be mic'd proper with an attenuator I could see the usage of one. I plugged a Gibson LP loaded with a very old Gibson PAF and an equally very old SD JB humbucker in the bridge into the Super Champ this afternoon. The clean channel was pretty darn good, I thought, although I haven't run my pedalboard into the mix yet....cranked up, it's still a little loud but tolerable with good classic rock tone, and I expected that from 15 watts. It can also be played respectably at lower overall volumes. To my ears the stock speaker doesn't sound like an automatic speaker swap is in order....yet...but I can see that if a person wanted a certain tone that only a swap could accomplish it would make sense. I'll run the amp through my 2x12 cab w/V30's to compare speaker tone, but there's not too much I can say in a bad way about the stock unit. That being said there's a lot on this littled badboy to tweak that particular 10" cone with on the drive channel (which is a little noisy but comes with the turf in tubeamp gain-land), it can be dialed into a few different amp models and although I can't say I've played through many English amps (except for the Marshall JCM2000 head I have), especially a Vox, I definitely can hear those tones and it looks like the amp can be driven to upper drive levels with a twist of the Voice dial or can be tweaked with the volume, gain, and tone controls to sync it all together with a nice output, and it's better than the models I have on an older 120 watt modeling amp I also have but don't use (at least 20 years old). It only makes sense that the technology is so much better these days, and with that being said the fx on the SC are actually from fair to pretty darn good and can all be used in one way or another.
      It's a good little amp (it was a great deal for $200, barely used near mint including Fender foot switch, but I think the MSRP $400 pricetag isn't unreasonable) that will definitely do what I need...easy to tote around, slightly lower volumes, all-tube, and a bonus of decent fx. Eventually it would be sweet to obtain a Vibro Champ or a Princeton, but there are so many new and old amps out there it's hard to keep up with all the info which is why I usually end up at our forum here to whittle it down some. Next up for the SC is tapping it into the V30's and with a Strat equipped w/SD/single coil's...for me that will tell be the true story of what the amp can do, especially with a pedalboard, but humbuckers' highs and lows sounded solid and very responsive using the guitar pots to drive the amp more. If a sweet deal on a vintage Vibro Champ or Princeton comes my way I'll probably consider buying one, but I don't see a reason to ever sell off a nice little amp like this Super Champ XD. A shout-out of thanks to the peeps who threw some comments my way on this subject, all pertinent and highly informational!
      Hope all are safe and well!!

Comment

Working...
      X