attn. smaller tube or SS amp users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: attn. smaller tube or SS amp users

I like the Super Champ that I've played, and you can certainly get that cranked tone with the master volume. The new SS Deluxe has an attenuator with 5 or 6 positions, so if you like the sound of (modeled) 6v6s distorting, you can get that at a quiet volume, too. Most actual 6v6 amps turned up to the point of distortion are still too loud for home use, unless it is a master volume amp, and then you are distorting the preamp tubes- a much different sound.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Vibro Champ. You ca find good deals on SF models.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        This is just what I thought of, as well. It gets great reviews and to me, sounds no different than 2 different tube Deluxes. Fender dedicated the entire processor for just 1 model. The other good news is that it is about 25 lbs They also make a Tone Master Twin that is around 33lbs.
        Been eyeing the TMDR since it came out, but just can't justify the cost...
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
          Been eyeing the TMDR since it came out, but just can't justify the cost...
          If it was $250 less, I would own one. They are expensive to start, but used ones are coming down. I hope they decide to also open up some options with the firmware, like allowing the tone stack to be changed on the normal channel. I do like that trem and reverb can be used on both channels, and that there is a direct XLR out to the PA.

Comment

If it was $250 less, I would own one. They are expensive to start, but used ones are coming down. I hope they decide to also open up some options with the firmware, like allowing the tone stack to be changed on the normal channel. I do like that trem and reverb can be used on both channels, and that there is a direct XLR out to the PA.
            hmm the reviews I saw said the trem/rev channels were only on the on channel

I'll have to look some more
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Unfortunately I doubt I'll ever see one of them here in Portugal... if I get a good tax return, then just maybe I'll lose my nead and go for it. Stiill, I have my eyes and ears drooling for a P90 axe.... The DR tone is my holy grail for clean tones, but due to health issues I have to steer away from heavy loads, such as a valve-driven DRRI.

I don't believe you can use trem/reverb on the normal channel...
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Might want to look for a PRS Archon 25 combo. Own a Archon 50 head and it is absolutely a MONSTER bedroom amp. Will give a Deluxe a run on the clean side with more headroom and kill on high gain tones at a whisper. Will bet a 25 watt combo would absolutely kill as a low volume grab and go rig!! HUGE sounding amps at super low levels and are surprisingly MUCH easier to control than the 15 watt PRS MT 15 I also own at low volumes. The 50 watt combo also would be a killer low volume bedroom rig. Will stomp the heck out of just about ANY other low wattage amp I can think of in a bedroom situation in tone. Actually making me think about replacing my beloved Mesa Subway Rocket with a Archon 25 combo!
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I like the Super Champ that I've played, and you can certainly get that cranked tone with the master volume. The new SS Deluxe has an attenuator with 5 or 6 positions, so if you like the sound of (modeled) 6v6s distorting, you can get that at a quiet volume, too. Most actual 6v6 amps turned up to the point of distortion are still too loud for home use, unless it is a master volume amp, and then you are distorting the preamp tubes- a much different sound.
                  I have a Blues DeVille tweed with a master volume that works great in stereo with the Deluxe...I can definitely warm the tubes up while keeping volume down and get some nice warmth to compensate for some of the higher treble tone coming from the Deluxe. The tone I'm looking for is real close with the two amps played together but obviously the DR doesn't have master volume so it's hard to get past preamp volume levels with it unless I want to play with earplugs.

Comment

It's all about this amp. Seriously. Bruce recommended it to me and it's insane. On 1 watt you can alternate between clean and dirty at house acceptable levels. You can plug it into whatever speaker you already have and it will sound insane.

The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

A cool feature they could include would be a variable low end tightness knob. On one end it would be loose like the real amp but you could tighten it up. They probably wouldn't want to deviate from the theme the amp, though.

Comment

I've been using a Vox AV30 for several years now, pretty much since they were introduced, and I love the tones I can get. https://voxamps.com/series/av-series/

Lightweight, big sound, easy to dial in. For home use, and even rehearsals and gigs, it does the job.

Update: It appears the AV series has been discontinued. That sucks. Find a used one.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 03-25-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                          Unfortunately I doubt I'll ever see one of them here in Portugal... if I get a good tax return, then just maybe I'll lose my nead and go for it. Stiill, I have my eyes and ears drooling for a P90 axe.... The DR tone is my holy grail for clean tones, but due to health issues I have to steer away from heavy loads, such as a valve-driven DRRI.

I don't believe you can use trem/reverb on the normal channel...
                          You may be right, I was thinking of the 68 Custom Deluxe. But it would be something they could add with a firmware update if you wanted it. So far, there hasn't been any firmware updates.

Comment

I use a Zoom pedal into a personal monitor, or an Emery SuperBaby into a Randall 12” extension speaker for the OP issue of low volume but mid-high gain sound with tube response.

Comment

Katana 50 at 0.5w is really good in an apartment. So cheap that you can keep your current tube amp.
                              Katana Head also at 0.5w with the builtin 5" speaker and/or use your tube amp as a cab for the head.
                              Have a look at the Yamaha THR10 also.

Comment

If you don't want to spring for the Princeton Reverb Reissue, think about a used one. If not that, then try out the Bassbreaker 15. I love mine.

FWIW, I am primarily a small amp user, and always have been. I have about half a dozen single speaker combos 15W or under (one of which can be power switched up to 25W class AB if needed). I picked up the Bassbreaker last year because: 1) It just sounded good, 2) It bridges the gap between my simple 1x12 and 1x10 Fender, Ampeg, and Gibson vintage style combos and my Mesa Express 5:25 Plus. By bridges the gap, I mean that it provides some useful modern features (effects loop, midrange control, direct out, gain/master volumes), but without going as far as the Mesa (the Mesa is great, but overkill sometimes – a little fiddly, and a little heavy). 3) It has a very affordable matching extension cab, available brand new, so it can be expanded in the "size" of its sound while maintaining cosmetic consistency.

Be aware that it has more of a classically "British" flavor to it, however. It doesn't sound like a mini Deluxe, but more like as if a Vox AC 15 was given a lot of low end on tap. The only thing that really does the mini Deluxe Reverb thing well is the P.R.R.
                                Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-26-2020, 03:41 PM.
                                Originally posted by LesStrat
                                Yogi Berra was correct.
                                Originally posted by JOLLY
                                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X