banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JB Jr / Duckbucker / Little 59 (Everything Axe) - PARCHMENT or CREAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB Jr / Duckbucker / Little 59 (Everything Axe) - PARCHMENT or CREAM?

I keep getting responses both ways on which one to put on my '19 Olympic White American Pro...
    I'd want a white pickguard (like the current) with pickups that match (Fender) aged white knobs and covers.
    Would that be Duncan parchment or cream then?

920D says cream is like Fender's aged white. Sigler Music on Reverb says cream is too dark and I should do Duncan Parchment.
    Other threads on here go both ways too. also seems that humbucker cream and single coil cream might be different.
    I'm looking to put in an everything axe set, JB Jr/Duckbucker/Little 59. So single coil cover or humbucker bobbin replies might not be helpful.
    (on a side note, going to use 3 Bourns push/pull. 2 to separately 'coil split' and one for 'add neck')

Click image for larger version

Name:	FSOW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	5853670
    Duncan Parchment
    62.50%
    Duncan Cream
    37.50%

Re: JB Jr / Duckbucker / Little 59 (Everything Axe) - PARCHMENT or CREAM?

Hey... I posted this in another thread. I’m big on getting colors correct, or at least 90% there.

I will say, the mini HBs do seem darker and more “cream” than the Humbuckers do.

This is aged white fender parts, parchment guard and duncan cream:

This is aged white fender plastics, mint guard and Duncan cream:
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Cream is darker than that. Much creamier. I'd go with parchment if I wanted that look

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

It is hard to tell from pics, as cameras lie a little bit. But my thought is parchment as well.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another vote for the parchment here.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            Hey... I posted this in another thread. I’m big on getting colors correct, or at least 90% there.

I will say, the mini HBs do seem darker and more “cream” than the Humbuckers do.

This is aged white fender parts, parchment guard and duncan cream:

This is aged white fender plastics, mint guard and Duncan cream:
            arctic white strat?

I did email SD as well, but only recently so it might take a while for the answer these days...

Comment

It’s faded Sonic Blue. I do really like Mint in White though.

I had a piece of white paper that I used for color balance, at least as good as Lightroom on iPhone can do.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Duncan cream is a heavy cream color, which is pretty ugly IMO. I would go for parchment. It'll get darker over time anyhow, but it'll look more naturally aged than going straight for cream (looks "fake aged" IMO).

Fender parchment is just barely not white. It's more a dingy white than a yellowish white. It's the best of all off whites on the market IMO. You can't tell it isn't bright white until you hold it up to bright white. Unfortunately, you're talking about covers that have to be Duncan. Their parchment is darker than Fender's, but it's still somewhat tolerable.

Personally, I'd go for Duncan white, and just let it age naturally by leaving the guitar out.

Keep in mind that mixing and matching "parchments" from different brands will likely result in a mismatch, both initially and as the parts naturally yellow over the decades. In particular, Fender and Duncan plastics usually don't match.

In order from least creamy to most creamy (Duncan and Fender only):

Duncan white and Fender white (same color)
                Fender parchment
                Duncan parchment
                Fender aged white
                Duncan cream
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-23-2020, 04:14 PM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

You guys really think that my Duncan Double Cream is that much different than the Fender Aged White?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    You guys really think that my Duncan Double Cream is that much different than the Fender Aged White?
                    So far, I haven’t seen anyone suggest such a thing (“that much different”). But Duncan cream certainly is noticeably darker than Fender aged white. Parchment will age up to match the Fender aged white plastics in time, while cream will start out noticeably (though not “that much”) darker, and get even darker in time.

Fender’s version of what Duncan calls “cream” is called “aged white.” Similarly to parchment, the Fender version is a bit lighter than the Duncan.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-23-2020, 09:57 PM.
                    Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                      So far, I haven’t seen anyone suggest such a thing (“that much different”). But Duncan cream certainly is noticeably darker than Fender aged white. Parchment will age up to match the Fender aged white plastics in time, while cream will start out noticeably (though not “that much”) darker, and get even darker in time.

Fender’s version of what Duncan calls “cream” is called “aged white.” Similarly to parchment, the Fender version is a bit lighter than the Duncan.
                      I think the double-cream can still go with Aged White. Until it goes darker I guess.
                      But from what I'm hearing JB Jr or Little 59s start out even darker than double-cream?

Comment

Reply from SD Customer Service:
                        "From the looks of your picture, I think those are closer to our cream. Parchment for us is just off white, but not yellowed.
                        I would recommend purchasing from a dealer that will allow an exchange if the color is not a match. "

...added their vote to cream :|

Comment

You are not going to get an exact match. You just have to decide whether you – both initially and 10 or 20 years down the road – want the pickup to be: 1) a little darker than the knobs now, and a lot darker later, or 2) a good deal lighter than the knobs now, and pretty close to the knobs later.

Also, remember that you can always make parchment darker via UV exposure or staining, but you can't make cream lighter.

And also remember that you can simply buy knobs and tips that match, and replace them along with the pickups. This is what I would do, myself. Doesn't Duncan sell color matching Strat knobs...or is that just DiMarzio?
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-24-2020, 07:33 PM.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I think I actually just like the non-yellowy look of parchment, better.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

yea, probably going with parchment...
                              ... no knobs though on SD.com, just pickup covers

Comment

Working...
                              X