banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I have to make all my guitars sound the same? How do I get rid of this curse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do I have to make all my guitars sound the same? How do I get rid of this cur

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    ... revealing the character of each guitars' tone. I savor those differences, and resist the temptation to walk back to my amp and re-adjust it for each guitar.

For me then, the trick is picking the right guitar for the song. I enjoy each guitar for what it is. I'm never going to mod a Les Paul to get Strat tones, or vice-versa. I would enjoy that Deluxe, and not try to turn it into a shred-stick.

Good luck on your journey.

Bill
    Good advice. Thanks!

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Re: Why do I have to make all my guitars sound the same? How do I get rid of this cur

Yeah.....find the inherent tone of the instrument and play some styles that push it further that way. Minis really have a great tone that makes them great for 'non-typical Les Paul' styles of music.

Comment

I don't know that I make them all sound the same but definitely there is something similar I go for. I don't know exactly what that thing is exactly but if a guitar doesn't have it, it doesn't get played enough and just sort of becomes a "seasoning" guitar for recording. Best thing for sounding too much the same for me is learning something new on it, find that guitars voice in the new stuff.
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I want my guitars to sound exactly the same. Exactly! They don't, which kind of drives me bonkers. But they are awfully close, close enough that most non-players probably wouldn't notice the difference if I switched.

But yeah, I listened to some old demo tapes I found in a box and I sounded roughly the same with three different guitars and two or three different amps. I know what sound I like and I manage to find it and reject equipment that can't do it for me.

Comment

Does the following sound nasal to you? Especially around 2:00-2:30? 2:19 - 2:26?

The guitar sounds good I know that. And maybe it could sound better.

Here I go again!

Ok ok I don't wanna turn it into a fat LP and all. It has a lot of muscle in the neck with a ~6.40K mini anyways.

An easy fix could be either Duncan mini HB's (Seymourized?) or DiMarzio Super D soap bar. I dunno? Super D could be over the top maybe? In general, I don't like ceramics, but this not being a normal HB and all... maybe it is the way to go.

Ideas?

B

EDIT: The amp is my JTM50 clone, with 2 EL34's (JJEL34II) and a Heyboer Bassman OT but low plate V. I've ended up liking EL34's way more than KT66's and 6L6GC's in this amp. The speaker is a WGS ET-65 (Celestion G12-65 inspired ) and no rec eq. apart from some touchup.
            Last edited by dr.barlo; 03-30-2020, 04:34 AM.

Comment

It's not the guitar. It's you.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don’t hear anything different in the time slot you mentioned that isn’t in any other part of the jam.

Comment

So it does not sound nasal to you?

B

Comment

Certainly not to me.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post

B
                      I don’t think so.

Comment

B
                        I hear you asking the question in a Jerry Lewis nasal delivery
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Cool!

B

Comment

Maybe I should give up and get me a p90 sized HB that'd make this guitar sound like one with an a5 PAF with some muscle. I think I should not do it, but I keep going back to the idea.

I sound like me for sure... but then again me with a tele and me with a LP are not the same you know... So, this is rather sounding like me part is sorta granted. That said, I cannot use a thick LP for clean tele/strat stuff. I have other guitars, maybe more than I need. A tele, a strat, another LP with buckers, an ES335 kinda guitar (H555), a PRS McCarty... So it's not like I gotta get this 76 deluxe to do all them styles you know... Also, it is not a pedal thing; I was a pedal junkie for a while and I don't lack amps and pedals.

It is just that somehow I've bonded with this guitar. I wasn't expecting it (thought at first that the neck is too thin, it's too heavy bla bla...) but somehow now it feels like my right arm you know. And hence, I keep going back to thinking of ways to convert it to this LP standard with an A5 PAF with some muscle you know... That said, I have to confess that I kinda like the recorded tone of this guitar.

B
                            My suggestion would be to not rout the guitar, but there is no reason you can't swap the bridge pickup. Rio makes a bunch of full strength humbuckers in the mini format. I have a Baby BBQ in one of my Kauer Banshees (firebird) that does pretty much what you're describing. The nice part about swapping is that you can always go back to the original pickup when you miss those tones, too.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree about not routing the guitar.

I am aware of the Rios... And was thinking about them actually.

I've used the Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set for quite a while like almost 15 years ago. And that set had that uppermid spike that I did not like that much. It is great to cut through the mix, but it was too much in my case. I've used them for more than like 3 years, so it's not like I've got rid of them right away. I am still using the pickups that I replaced them with... A PATB-3 in the bridge and 59n with an a4 in the neck.

That said, if that baby version bears any similarities with the big versions, it won't be a good fit for this 76 deluxe. Because it is already sorta alive guitar with some clear and present uppermid tonality. For example, the same goes for the PG as well. Instead, the ideal way to go would Duncan Custom Shop and get some 8.75K-9K version of a Brobucker. 10K would be a bit too much in this guitar, I think. And as I have to go through the custom shop for a p90 sized HB anyways, I'd get me this one you know...

Still Super D might be the cheaper option and frankly speaking Super D and Megadrive (DP 107) along with the Virtual PAF were my DiMarzio favorites anyways when I was in my 20's...

B

Comment

i had a 9.4k antiquity with a full strength a2 mag made, and it is AWESOME!

Comment

Working...
                                X