banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How and Where do you use your noise gate/suppression/hush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How and Where do you use your noise gate/suppression/hush?

I was watching some more pedal videos last night and saw the strangest thing.... A guy had his noise gate 1st in his signal chain on his pedal board....

Got me all sorts of sideways thinking about it.

So I watched a couple more videos on the matter.... People use their gates in different places to choke different things.

Choke the pickups...choke the dirt box...choke the entire signal....

That got me curious... Where do you put yours in your chain?
    1st thing, before dirt
    0%
    Right after dirt
    0%
    Last thing on board
    33.33%
    Last thing, before delay
    33.33%
    Effects loop
    33.33%
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 03-23-2020, 07:39 AM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: How and Where do you use your noise gate/suppression/hush?

I don't see much point in it being the first thing in the chain, unless you have noisey pickups that are giving like micro noises or something similar.

I would put it after all the gain stages and funky pedals like octave, pitch shift that are famous for noise etc and before anything with a complicated decay -like reverb or long delay

Also, I would put it after ANY digital EHX pedal -because they are SO DAMN NOISY.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      I don't see much point in it being the first thing in the chain, unless you have noisey pickups that are giving like micro noises or something similar.

I would put it after all the gain stages and funky pedals like octave, pitch shift that are famous for noise etc and before anything with a complicated decay -like reverb or long delay

Also, I would put it after ANY digital EHX pedal -because they are SO DAMN NOISY.
      I like mine in the fx loop

Comment

I had my ISP Decimator II G-String in the FX loop of my JVM410. The gain stages on that sucker are loud as heck. Didn't help that I'm running P90s. This worked very well, except the guitar needs to go in directly to a g-string, maybe after a tuner but not much else. This is only to detect if there is any signal coming. A separate loop is for pedals, fx loop, or whatever you put in it. you can put reverb/delay/chorus after this loop to avoid choke off. Problem is you'd have to run cables back to the front if you have a board or stomp boxes.
        So now I've got it on the board. It's guitar > tuner > ISP, but the actual noise gate is board > ISP > delay > amp
        works just as well and the JVM seems to sound better without running the FX loop.
        Highly recommend the G-String. Detect signal straight from guitar, but gate can then be positioned anywhere.

Comment

messed up my vote. didnt see the "last thing before delay" before I clicked.

Comment

At the end of the chain, unless the amp has an effects loop, in which case, I put it there.

FWIW, my noise gate is a Decimator G String. You can run this pedal many different ways, since it has its own loop. If you don't want to use its internal loop, then you just patch the loop's jacks together with a short cable.

And I don't leave it on either. I turn it on in between songs or during long rests, and I only bother in particularly noisy venues.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-23-2020, 04:44 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Demos of the ones that include a loop are really cool. You trigger off the input but clamp after gain stages and before delay.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've never even tried it in my loop.
                Hmmmmm.
                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I don't use a gate at all, but I don't use the amount of distortion that might need it.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                    I've never even tried it in my loop.
                    Hmmmmm.
                    Your mind will be blown

Comment

I only use it first in the chain to avoid buzz/hum from venue issues and/or when using single coils. The rest of my chain is clean. Distortion I use doesn’t hiss or put out noise when not playing, so no need for any gate.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        I only use it first in the chain to avoid buzz/hum from venue issues and/or when using single coils. The rest of my chain is clean. Distortion I use doesn’t hiss or put out noise when not playing, so no need for any gate.
                        I don’t use a gate at all, but a heavy gate after thick distortion is a cool sound, kind of like the industrial guitar sound. My amp has one, it’s fun for that heavy riffing tone.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          Demos of the ones that include a loop are really cool. You trigger off the input but clamp after gain stages and before delay.
                          The Decimator G String is indeed a relatively transparent noise gate. But it can still be heard if you aren't subtle in its application. I go for a major noise reduction, as opposed complete noise elimination. I can leave it on, but noise really isn't apparent while playing, so I save batteries and only use it as I mentioned above (between songs).
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

How and Where do you use your noise gate/suppression/hush?

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            The Decimator G String is indeed a relatively transparent noise gate. But it can still be heard if you aren't subtle in its application. I go for a major noise reduction, as opposed complete noise elimination. I can leave it on, but noise really isn't apparent while playing, so I save batteries and only use it as I mentioned above (between songs).
                            Very true. The G String certainly can be heard if set that way.
                            I use mine as an always on pedal (except on the clean channel) but I set it so that I get “enough” reduction to squash some of the noise but not so much that it cuts my sound out when I roll off the volume.
                            At a gig, I turn the reduction down even more because the noise floor is masked by the ambient sounds in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Heh. I have my Hush in loop right before the power amp, because last pedal in chain is Holy Grail. There's still some hissing, but not too bad.

Friend commented once at a jam my rig brings nice seaside atmosphere to breaks.
                              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                              X