New Interface Day - Focusrite Scarlet Solo G3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Interface Day - Focusrite Scarlet Solo G3

Yesterday I managed to get out of the house for a bit and picked up a Focusrite Scarlet Solo G3 interface. I've been looking at interfaces for a while and finally bit the bullet. A buddy of mine and I are going to work on songs together with the added free time we have and I had no way to record and listen to the backing track at the same time without it getting recorded too. So, enter the Scarlet Solo. I've used Audacity for recording sample clips in the past and such but I decided to dive in to Pro Tools First that came with it. So far so good. There's a learning curve but my past experience with mixers and such sure helps. I'm still using AmpiTube on an older iPhone for my tone shaping and amp sims to the instrument input which works great for me. Maybe later on down the line I'll look at something like BiasFX but I'm perfectly content with AmpliTube. With this setup, I don't need to use my Soundcraft Notepad 102 mixer, which is fine since my desk is limited on space and the Scarlet Solo is much smaller.

What interface do you use (if any)?

What other SIM software is out there besides BiasFX? Any that are free and sound good?

Re: New Interface Day - Focusrite Scarlet Solo G3

I loaded AmpliTube 4 Free and Custom Shop on my laptop. Got that working with Ableton Live 10 Lite, which also came with the interface. It works as a plugin with it. Pretty cool. It will not work with Pro Tools First though. Only plugins from Avid will work with it. It sucks but I can always use Amplitube on the old iPhone and record in Pro Tools First that way. I really like the additional features in the computer version of Amplitube though, like dual micing, swapping speakers in the 4x12, adjusting mic levels, overall room mix, etc. Very cool to have those. I can do all that all day long in a physical studio so I'm just using that same knowledge for mic placement and the like. I really wish I could get it to work with Pro Tools First cause I can't shell out what they want for Pro Tools.
    Last edited by ErikH; 03-25-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

My little travel rig is an Apollo Twin X with a Focusrite Octepre feeding the ADAT light pipe. I use this stuff most often.

In the Studio, I use Mecenary Audio 1969 Drawmer, Tube Tech (my fave), Neve, SSLs a lot etc.

The Focusrite Scarlet series are probably the most transparent useful pre for the price on the market IMO

You chose a great little product.
      Last edited by NegativeEase; 03-25-2020, 10:16 AM.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Last night I installed Reaper and was able to get the AmpliTube plugin working right away with it. Reaper seems simple to use. It's a 60-day eval so that gives me plenty of time to decide if I want to buy it or not.

Comment

Congrats! I have a Solo for one of my laptop rigs, it works great for single track recording with headphones.

Man, I've almost forgotten what it's like to be able to walk into a store and buy something!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Heh, I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 gen 1 and Bias FX gen 1 and they're both just the absolute worst of any interface and modeling software I have ever had the displeasure of owning. [emoji1]

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
            --------------------------------------------------------
            1973 Aria 551
            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              Last night I installed Reaper and was able to get the AmpliTube plugin working right away with it. Reaper seems simple to use. It's a 60-day eval so that gives me plenty of time to decide if I want to buy it or not.
              Reaper is great! And FWIW the evaluation period doesn't stop after the 60 days. It just reminds you every time you login that you haven't bought it, but the pop-up can be closed after 5 seconds [emoji6]

I had a Scarlett 2i2 and it was a great interface, only reason I got rid of it was I needed more I/O to get more creative with my speaker SIM, recording out on my head, and the guitar DI + piezo.

Amp sim wise, if you have a direct out on a head you could run NadIR from Ignite Amps from impulse responses, and they also have a free amp sim bundled with it that is decent, check that out as a nice free option.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Sadly, my only amp is at our rehearsal space and we're not getting together any time soon with this Covid-19 thing around. I hadn't heard of Ignite Amps before. Thanks, I'll check that out. So far, the AmpliTube plugin has been working great. Got it working standalone as well after messing with the input setting and audio device. That helps when I'm just playing and not recording anything. Launch it and iTunes, good to go to play along with some songs and learn parts.

Comment

Working...
                X