5 Way switch with Push-pull? 2hum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Way switch with Push-pull? 2hum?

I have recently installed 2 juggernaut pickups and am wanting to put in a 5way switch with a push pull coil tap. Only problem is I can not find a diagram for it. Does anyone have a diagram or is this even possible to do? Thanks

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Re: 5 Way switch with Push-pull? 2hum?

What do want the 5 way switch to do exactly?
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
      What do want the 5 way switch to do exactly?
      Would like it to be like the Ibanez RG 5 way setup. I want to have the option of getting series and parallel and just split the bridge pick up

Comment

Is the push pull splitting or tapping those pickups? I am not familiar with them.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think he just wants to split the bridge pickup in addition to the 5 way wiring.
          "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Oh gotcha, then it isn't 'tapping' at all.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by BossRoss View Post
              Would like it to be like the Ibanez RG 5 way setup. I want to have the option of getting series and parallel and just split the bridge pick up

BossRoss,

I would be glad to draw up a diagram for you but I would need more clarification about what you want in each of the 5 positions. Like, when you say getting series and parallel, is that just for the bridge or both pickups?
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                BossRoss,

I would be glad to draw up a diagram for you but I would need more clarification about what you want in each of the 5 positions. Like, when you say getting series and parallel, is that just for the bridge or both pickups?
                I would like to have it like this with coil tapping in the bridge.

Comment

My pickups have 4 wires also I believe this diagram shows 2 for each pickup

Comment

My pickups have 4 wires also I believe this diagram shows 2 for each pickup

Also I have a CTS DPDT push pull pot if that makes any difference

Comment

The pickup selector switch in that diagram is a specialized superswitch, the 3PS1SC5. Read my reply to another recent thread that gives an explanation about that switch, here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4397649

Another clarification question: when you say you want the series and parallel options for the neck, and to add a coilsplit for the bridge, does that mean you are willing to do away with the current Position 2 combination of split coils from both pickups, and make Position 2 be just the coilsplit Bridge pickup? Or no, you want to keep Positon 2 and all the other 4 as-is? The latter means that you would need a push-pull pot to split that bridge humbucker.

I assume your guitar is an Ibanez? What make and model?
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-25-2020, 12:34 AM.
                      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The pickup selector switch in that diagram is a specialized superswitch, the 3PS1SC5. Read my reply to another recent thread that gives an explanation about that switch, here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4397649

Another clarification question: when you say you want the series and parallel options for the neck, and to add a coilsplit for the bridge, does that mean you are willing to do away with the current Position 2 combination of split coils from both pickups, and make Position 2 be just the coilsplit Bridge pickup? Or no, you want to keep Positon 2 and all the other 4 as-is? The latter means that you would need a push-pull pot to split that bridge humbucker.

I assume your guitar is an Ibanez? What make and model?
                        I want to keep all positions and just coil split the bridge with the push pull. I have an LTD M-17 with Bareknuckle Juggernauts.

Comment

I want to keep all positions and just coil split the bridge with the push pull. I have an LTD M-17 with Bareknuckle Juggernauts.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Later today I will study the schematic of the 3PS1SC5 switch to determine if it supports a mod like that. I am pretty sure it does, but I just want to be sure. If it does not, we could use another type of superswitch. Other types of superswitches like the Ibanez VLX91 and the Dimarzio superswitch will definitely support this mod because they are more flexible in how they can be wired compared to the 3PS1SC5. If you read the info in that link in my last reply, it covered this.

... OR... we could skip ahead to a plan that uses one of the other superswitches, not the 3PS1SC5. That would be my recommendation actually. Because if in the future you decide you want to change the wiring combinations to something else, the other superswitch types will definitely support that whereas the restrictive design of the 3PS1SC5 may not. The trade off is that the other superswitch types are $10 - $20 higher in cost than the 3PS1SC5.

The VLX91 has an advantage over the Dimarzio EP1112 in that has a small footprint - this is needed in thin bodied guitars that don't have enough height to physcially fit the tall Dimarzio EP1112 switch. I recommend you measure the height availabilty in your guitar's control cavity b4 considering the Dimarzio EP1112. The height measurement of the Dimarzio EP1112 switch is 31mm.

Also note that one detraction of the VLX91 is that its lugs are small and tightly bunched - so it can be difficult to solder onto accurately.

The Parts page at IbanezRules.com indicates that they have the VLX91 and the 3PS1SC5 switches in stock, You can check the prices there. Rich runs that site and he is a good guy to work with. The Dimarzio EP1112 is carried by Guitar Center, etc.

Link:

Let me know which switch type you want to move forward with. The diagram required will be different depending on which of the 3 switches you choose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	5818543

Name:	20200325_141009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	5818544

Name:	image_125529.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	5818545

Comment

Just bookmarking for myself a link to the specs and description of your guitar:

One of the world's leading manufacturers of high quality guitars and basses.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Later today I will study the schematic of the 3PS1SC5 switch to determine if it supports a mod like that. I am pretty sure it does, but I just want to be sure. If it does not, we could use another type of superswitch. Other types of superswitches like the Ibanez VLX91 and the Dimarzio superswitch will definitely support this mod because they are more flexible in how they can be wired compared to the 3PS1SC5. If you read the info in that link in my last reply, it covered this.

... OR... we could skip ahead to a plan that uses one of the other superswitches, not the 3PS1SC5. That would be my recommendation actually. Because if in the future you decide you want to change the wiring combinations to something else, the other superswitch types will definitely support that whereas the restrictive design of the 3PS1SC5 may not. The trade off is that the other superswitch types are $10 - $20 higher in cost than the 3PS1SC5.

The VLX91 has an advantage over the Dimarzio EP1112 in that has a small footprint - this is needed in thin bodied guitars that don't have enough height to physcially fit the tall Dimarzio EP1112 switch. I recommend you measure the height availabilty in your guitar's control cavity b4 considering the Dimarzio EP1112. The height measurement of the Dimarzio EP1112 switch is 31mm.

Also note that one detraction of the VLX91 is that its lugs are small and tightly bunched - so it can be difficult to solder onto accurately.

The Parts page at IbanezRules.com indicates that they have the VLX91 and the 3PS1SC5 switches in stock, You can check the prices there. Rich runs that site and he is a good guy to work with. The Dimarzio EP1112 is carried by Guitar Center, etc.

Link:

Let me know which switch type you want to move forward with. The diagram required will be different depending on which of the 3 switches you choose.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103882[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103883[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103884[/ATTACH]
                              Awesome man thanks. Will get the EP1112. I have a deep cavity in the m17. Also I used the Ibanez RG7620 diagram to hook up my switch and tried the bareknuckle 5 way diagram. Also tried an iron gear diagram just to see. But ultimately in every scenario I end up with the 5th position not working? Coil tap works but not in the position I want. So yeah I will get a superswitch

Comment

Working...
                              X