5 Way switch with Push-pull? 2hum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5 Way switch with Push-pull? 2hum?

Also just to clarify the switch is an aftermarket 5 way switch. Not what came in the guitar. Will post a picture later

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BossRoss View Post
      I would like to have it like this with coil tapping in the bridge.

Awesome man thanks. Will get the EP1112....
      I've begun working up a diagram for you that uses the EP1112 switch and realized I forgot to ask:

... is one of your two Juggernaut humbuckers "Reverse Wound & Reverse Polarity" (RWRP)? If yes, which one?

This will make a difference in how Position 2 (which is one coil from each pickup connected in parallel) needs to be wired *IF* you want the sound/output in that position to be hum-canceling (and I assume you do). I will spare further details and explanation until I hear back with your answer.

Thanks
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
        I've begun working up a diagram for you that uses the EP1112 switch and realized I forgot to ask:

... is one of your two Juggernaut humbuckers "Reverse Wound & Reverse Polarity" (RWRP)? If yes, which one?

This will make a difference in how Position 2 (which is one coil from each pickup connected in parallel) needs to be wired *IF* you want the sound/output in that position to be hum-canceling (and I assume you do). I will spare further details and explanation until I hear back with your answer.

Thanks
        I do not believe they are. Does not mention anything in the paper work I have for the .is there a way to test for that?

Comment

I do not believe they are. Does not mention anything in the paper work I have for the .is there a way to test for that?

There is a way to test if you have a multi-meter (?).

Although it's almost always the case that you don't get one out of the pair as RWRP unless you requested it. [Edit] And the paperwork would have mentioned it...
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Ok, so without either pup being RWRP and assuming you want the Position 2 combination to be hum-canceling, then you have two options with those pups.

First, before describing the two options, i need to explain the reason for why special action is required here. In order to have hum-canceling when two coils are combined, one of the two must have a different magnetic polarity from the other (North vs South) *and* it also must be wound in the opposite direction from the other. Next look at this pic that shows the magnetic polarity of each of the four coils in two typical humbuckers where neither is RWRP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200329_145723.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5818574

Note that if one wants to have the two inner coils active in Position 2, there will be 60 cycle hum because the two inner coils are the same magnetic polarity (North).

*If* one of the pickups was RWRP, the inner coil of that pickup would have South magnetic polarity and there would be no issue.

So, for two pickups where neither is RWRP, there are two options:

Option 1. This is my recommended option out of the 2, FYI. Wire the coilsplit on the Bridge pickup so that its South coil is active in Position 2, and then also reinstall that pickup in the mounting ring so it is rotated 180° - in order to physically move that South coil to the inner position. I looked at pics of Juggernaut pickups and saw that each coil has screws, vs 1 having slugs and 1 having screws. So visual/aesthestic impact should be neglible. Should also be neglible if you have covers on your pickups. However, if you have the version with Misha Mansoor's custom image printed on the pickup cover, I can understand this rotation business being a concern.

Option 2. You or a tech you hire could partially disassemble your Bridge pickup to get at the magnets that sit at the bottom and flip them upside down, which changes the polarity of each of the two coils. There is some risk (not large, but some) that you may damage the pickup if you are not careful in doing this. You can watch how-to videos on Youtube about this and determine if you feel comfortable doing it yourself and/or you feel comfortable having a tech do it.

Option 1 can technically be done on either pickup, but I am recommending the bridge pickup in this case just because of the other pre-existing wiring complexities involved with the Neck pickup due it needing to do parallel-with-itself mode in Position 4.

Of course, if hum-canceling in Position 2 isn't important to you and/or rhe idea of living with some hum is ok compared to what you deem is too much hassle requirdd in the options above, then we can wire the guitar to split the inner coils as-is for Position 2 and you will just live with the hum that comes with doing that. You are going to have hum anyways when you have your Bridge coilsplit using the push-pull switch... by itself in Position 1 and Position 3 when combined with the full neck humbucker.

I guess another option could be to acquire one RWRP Juggernaut to replace one of your current two.

Let me know how you want to proceed.
            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-29-2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Ok, so without either pup being RWRP and assuming you want the Position 2 combination to be hum-canceling, then you have two options with those pups.

First, before describing the two options, i need to explain the reason for why special action is required here. In order to have hum-canceling when two coils are combined, one of the two must have a different magnetic polarity from the other (North vs South) *and* it also must be wound in the opposite direction from the other. Next look at this pic that shows the magnetic polarity of each of the four coils in two typical humbuckers where neither is RWRP.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103923[/ATTACH]

Note that if one wants to have the two inner coils active in Position 2, there will be 60 cycle hum because the two inner coils are the same magnetic polarity (North).

*If* one of the pickups was RWRP, the inner coil of that pickup would have South magnetic polarity and there would be no issue.

So, for two pickups where neither is RWRP, there are two options:

Option 1. This is my recommended option out of the 2, FYI. Wire the coilsplit on the Bridge pickup so that its South coil is active in Position 2, and then also reinstall that pickup in the mounting ring so it is rotated 180° - in order to physically move that South coil to the inner position. I looked at pics of Juggernaut pickups and saw that each coil has screws, vs 1 having slugs and 1 having screws. So visual/aesthestic impact should be neglible. Should also be neglible if you have covers on your pickups. However, if you have the version with Misha Mansoor's custom image printed on the pickup cover, I can understand this rotation business being a concern.

Option 2. You or a tech you hire could partially disassemble your Bridge pickup to get at the magnets that sit at the bottom and flip them upside down, which changes the polarity of each of the two coils. There is some risk (not large, but some) that you may damage the pickup if you are not careful in doing this. You can watch how-to videos on Youtube about this and determine if you feel comfortable doing it yourself and/or you feel comfortable having a tech do it.

Option 1 can technically be done on either pickup, but I am recommending the bridge pickup in this case just because of the other pre-existing wiring complexities involved with the Neck pickup due it needing to do parallel-with-itself mode in Position 4.

Of course, if hum-canceling in Position 2 isn't important to you and/or rhe idea of living with some hum is ok compared to what you deem is too much hassle requirdd in the options above, then we can wire the guitar to split the inner coils as-is for Position 2 and you will just live with the hum that comes with doing that. You are going to have hum anyways when you have your Bridge coilsplit by itself in Position 1 and Position 3 as it is already.

I guess another option could be to acquire one RWRP Juggernaut to replace one of your current two.

Let me know how you want to proceed.

Sorry, another option I should mention is to split coils of different magnetic polarity in Position 2 to achieve hum-canceling but don't bother with pickup rotation. So coil layout would be one inner and one outer. The downside is not dramatic -it's just less Strat-like quack being achieved because the two coils are now spaced further apart.

Comment

Sorry, another option I should mention is to split coils of different magnetic polarity in Position 2 to achieve hum-canceling but don't bother with pickup rotation. So coil layout would be one inner and one outer. The downside is not dramatic -it's just less Strat-like quack being achieved because the two coils are now spaced further apart.
                Let's go with option 1. That sounds like the best and easiest way.

Comment

Let's go with option 1. That sounds like the best and easiest way.

Ok, i will make a diagram based on Option 1 for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr
                    Here you go. I ended up rotating the Neck pickup. This diagram uses the Seymour Duncan wiring color code.... but I attached below the diagram a pic of the wiring color code for Bare Knuckle pickups so you could translate it for your pickups. Let me know if you have any questions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103994[/ATTACH]
                    Heck yeah. Thanks man I really appreciate

Comment

Heck yeah. Thanks man I really appreciate

Hey - i just spotted a mistake with how i have the Neck pickup wired. Will post a fix shortly.

Comment

Ok, so here's the corrected diagram. I accidentally had Neck North Finish and Neck North Start wires swapped around in how they are connected. And below the diagram is a 2nd pic ofthe wiring color code reference for Bare Knuckle pickups. Let me know if you have any questions.

Name:	2HB_1V_1T_SuperSwitch - Neck pup rotated 180_LikeIbz3PS1SC5_BridgePupCSpp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	5818617

Name:	Bare Knuckle wiring color code.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	5818618

Comment

Working...
                        X