Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice? Pretty confused.

Hi all!

I have a Friedman BE-100 Deluxe that I have a love/confused relationship with. I love how it sounds because it's incredible but I'm always confused if it's more of what I already have and I do notice that I spend some time trying to make it more aggressive often. So, I asked here a few months ago about a Friedman trade and I ended up buying one. I didn't necessarily see myself parting with the BE but it's pretty lucrative to a metal head like myself..

Some context; I play 80's metal, 90's grunge, rock and metal and modern metal stuff as well. I'm asking for opinions, I won't base it solely on them, I'd just like to hear from anyone who's tried 2 or all 3 of these amps. I've got an offer for a Herbert and a Splawn Nitro. I've always wanted a Herbert and I LOVE how the Nitro sounds but can it really compete with the BE? Anyone tried both? If you were purely worried about tone and not a badge, would you trade the 1 for the 2?

I do have other metal amps as well as Marshall's, so all would not lost either way. I'm sure this will come down to sheer individual taste but I'd still like some guidance. And, as always, thanks everyone for the down to earth responses from this place.

Re: Advice? Pretty confused.

I have never seen a Diesel Herbert or any Splawn in person, but I have played both the BE-100 and BE-50 Deluxes.

The Friedman was so crazy good to my ears in the hour I spent tweaking it, so much so I debated selling my Mark IV to finance once. I've had my Mark for more than a decade now and its sheer versatility is the reason I gave my head a shake, deciding I wouldn't part with it.

Sometimes it's the love/wtf relationships that have the greatest return, sounds like you may regret getting rid of the Friedman.

The BE can get very aggressive, is there something else in your signal chain you might change to give it the extra juice you want to squeeze out from time to time? Like adding a mild boost in front (the Horizon Precision Drive can do things other than modern metal!), or swapping pickups to get a different type of cut from the guitar?

Am I reading correctly that you are being offered BOTH the other two heads for your BE-100?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Re: Advice? Pretty confused.

Thanks for the reply!

I love the Friedman but I don't blame you, I love the Mark IV too. You're right, I really would miss it but yes, the offer is for both. For the head and the matching 4x12 (which is fine, I have others).

I tried it more tonight with Fishman Moderns and the KSE set and it sounded meaner, for sure. I also used a couple of boosts and it did get pretty damn angry. I WISH I could actually try a Splawn or Diezel, but that's not doable right now. I guess I feel like having a JCM 800, AFD 100, VTM 60 AND the Friedman might be overkill for Marshall tones, as well as other Peavey's that do it as well. I guess I saw this as the means to a Diezel and Splawn where I've never found them right place, right time before.

Comment

Working...
      X