Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Wiring diagram help please

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    12

    Default Wiring diagram help please

    Could use some help on this one:
    3 single coils
    5 way switch
    Master volume w/ push pot
    Master tone w/ push pot

    Would like:
    Neck in series option
    Bridge pup on option
    Tone control only for bridge pup.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Super Toneologist Jack_TriPpEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Regal Beagle in Hippie Hell
    Posts
    1,250

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Quote Originally Posted by Longer View Post
    Could use some help on this one:
    3 single coils
    5 way switch
    Master volume w/ push pot
    Master tone w/ push pot

    Would like:
    Neck in series option
    Bridge pup on option
    Tone control only for bridge pup.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    Thank you!
    I could help but need to know more specifics.

    Does "Neck in series option" means the option to change the connection btw Middle pickup and Neck pickup in Position 4 from either In Parallel (default) or In Series?

    Does "Bridge pickup on option" mean the option to activate the Bridge pickup in Positions 3 through 5 which are usually just Middle pickup and/or Neck pickup?
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-24-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    You rock Jack!
    Thank you much for the reply.

    Yes for the Bridge Pup On question, for a 7 sound Strat... (I guess it is more common for it to be “neck pup on”, and that would work too if needed)

    For the “In Series” question, yes, but... I would like the neck to run in series with any other pup that is activated with the neck. (So if I’m in position 4, I can switch to “in series” for the neck+middle, or... if I’m in position 5 (neck) with the bridge pup activated (by push pot) I can have those 2 in series as well.

    Again, thank you!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    But if I can only choose one in series option, it would be with the middle pick up in position 4. Thank you again!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Ok, I’ve been trying to piece together different concepts, so about the “in series” option:

    Name:  C01E65CC-2FEA-4E76-9ABF-4F0559A22A68.jpeg
Views: 77
Size:  20.9 KB

    If in this pic, “pup 1” was the neck, and “pup 2” is the middle, couldn’t I just solder the Bridge Pup ground along w/ the Mid Pup ground to the same lug?

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Super Toneologist Jack_TriPpEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Regal Beagle in Hippie Hell
    Posts
    1,250

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Quote Originally Posted by Longer View Post
    Ok, I’ve been trying to piece together different concepts, so about the “in series” option:

    Name:  C01E65CC-2FEA-4E76-9ABF-4F0559A22A68.jpeg
Views: 77
Size:  20.9 KB

    If in this pic, “pup 1” was the neck, and “pup 2” is the middle, couldn’t I just solder the Bridge Pup ground along w/ the Mid Pup ground to the same lug?

    Thanks!
    If your intent is to connect the Bridge pickup *in series* with the Middle & Neck pups as depicted in that pic, then no. The Bridge piclup's ground wire would need to get connected to the Middle pup's hot wire. Try to think of In Series as a daisy chain of pickups connected together, with the ground wire of the preceding pup feeding the Hot wire of the next pickup that follows.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.

  7. #7
    Super Toneologist Jack_TriPpEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Regal Beagle in Hippie Hell
    Posts
    1,250

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Quote Originally Posted by Longer View Post
    But if I can only choose one in series option, it would be with the middle pick up in position 4. Thank you again!
    Ok, gotcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.

  8. #8
    Super Toneologist Jack_TriPpEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Regal Beagle in Hippie Hell
    Posts
    1,250

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Quote Originally Posted by Longer View Post
    But if I can only choose one in series option, it would be with the middle pick up in position 4. Thank you again!
    What do you think of these options? Don't worry about the tone control config in this diagram not being for Bridge pup only - we can tweak that later.

    This drawing is from the Deaf Eddie Website collection of diagrams.

    http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/strat-series-2.jpg

    Attachment 103878
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    If your intent is to connect the Bridge pickup *in series* with the Middle & Neck pups as depicted in that pic, then no. The Bridge piclup's ground wire would need to get connected to the Middle pup's hot wire. Try to think of In Series as a daisy chain of pickups connected together, with the ground wire of the preceding pup feeding the Hot wire of the next pickup that follows.
    No sir, I wasn’t thinking Middle & Bridge in series together.

    If I wired both the bridge & middle pup’s ground to that same lug, I thought it would give me:
    Neck & Middle in series, (as shown) but also Neck & Bridge in series if I was on the Neck and had the Bridge pup engaged...
    Thoughts?

    The Deaf Eddie works! Only it would not be as intuitive on the 5 way, but that is a minor issue.

    Thank you again!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    What do you think of these options? Don't worry about the tone control config in this diagram not being for Bridge pup only - we can tweak that later.

    This drawing is from the Deaf Eddie Website collection of diagrams.

    http://www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/strat-series-2.jpg

    Attachment 103878
    After thinking about it a bit more, this diagram works great for the in series option.
    Thank you.

  11. #11
    Super Toneologist Jack_TriPpEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Regal Beagle in Hippie Hell
    Posts
    1,250

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Quote Originally Posted by Longer View Post
    After thinking about it a bit more, this diagram works great for the in series option.
    Thank you.
    Great - so this will be the diagram to move fwd with? And i just modify it so it has 1 tone ctl only - and that tone ctl is for the bridge pickup only?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    Great - so this will be the diagram to move fwd with? And i just modify it so it has 1 tone ctl only - and that tone ctl is for the bridge pickup only?

    Yes sir!
    So I guess the easiest way would be to only use the tone pot between the Bridge pup and the 5 way?

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Also, I would still like to use my other pull pot as a bridge on...
    so I was thinking of incorporating something like this as well, (but w/ bridge pup)
    Name:  E4E81407-7C4E-4AC8-BD69-7A08D32BF91B.gif
Views: 53
Size:  17.5 KB

  14. #14
    Super Toneologist Jack_TriPpEr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Regal Beagle in Hippie Hell
    Posts
    1,250

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    Quote Originally Posted by Longer View Post
    Also, I would still like to use my other pull pot as a bridge on...
    so I was thinking of incorporating something like this as well, (but w/ bridge pup)
    Name:  E4E81407-7C4E-4AC8-BD69-7A08D32BF91B.gif
Views: 53
Size:  17.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Longer View Post
    Yes sir!
    So I guess the easiest way would be to only use the tone pot between the Bridge pup and the 5 way?
    Here ya go!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strat_SSS_MV_BridgeT_NeckSeriesSwitch_AddBridgeSwitch.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	103904
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Wiring diagram help please

    That is awesome man, crazy cool of you, thank you much!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •