banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE HAVE AN ORANGE ROCKER 15 TERROR HEAD? LOOKING FOR SOME OPINIONS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANYONE HAVE AN ORANGE ROCKER 15 TERROR HEAD? LOOKING FOR SOME OPINIONS.

So I've been playing Marshalls, Crates, Fenders, Boogies, VOX, Peaveys, Egnator, etc, heads, combos, for MANY years.
    But I'm looking for a newer, heavy, kind of darkish sound. Something a Marshall/VOX can't do.
    I've been looking really hard at the Orange Amps. Not totally sure which I want to dump my paycheck on.
    The Crush 120 caught my eye (and ears), a lot cheaper than the tube heads, but looks like a lot of people are having issues with them.
    If I had the cash, it would be a Rockerverb 50 sitting on my cab. One of my buddies has one and an Orange 4x12. WHAT A MASSIVE FREAKING SOUND! But I don't know that I need a 50 watt head. Kind of looking into something smaller wattage/size, like maybe a Rocker 15 Terror head.
    I like how it sounds, plenty loud through a 4x12. But i've only heard clips and saw vids.
    Anyone here has or had one? Are they pretty reliable?
    GIBSON, MARSHALL, EPIPHONE, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....A LOT OF SH*T!
    Check our band VENOMOUS MERCY on FB!

Re: ANYONE HAVE AN ORANGE ROCKER 15 TERROR HEAD? LOOKING FOR SOME OPINIONS.

Price range? The 15 watt PRS MT 15 would really fit the tones you are talking and is a 6L6 powered amp that sure doesn't sound like a 15 watter.
    Several over on the PRS MT 15 Facebook site have been touring with them. Here is Ethan Weissman touring live with Mass Extinction running a MT 15. Liked mine so well I also bought a US Archon head.
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-26-2020, 12:14 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I sprung for an older Rocker 30 and love the hell out of it. The natural channel is like a Plexi and the dirty channel is like a JCM800 with more lowend. Theoretically the Rocker 15 will have a bit more of a Vox vibe with its EL84s but I can't say that from experience.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check out that PRS MT 15. But I think I really want the EL84 output. I have several amps with 6L6 finals. I believe the Orange really gets a lot of the tone from being able to run the EL84's almost wide open, and not blow your eardrums out. Most of the amps I have now I can only usually run at 1/3 volume at most. That's why I'm looking at a smaller wattage, and the EL84's are a different sound than 6L6 or EL34's of the Marshall. I was going to build one of the AX84 versions of the single ended 5 watt amp. They sound pretty good, but only 5 watts. And I may dig out the parts I have and finish ordering what I need to build one. I have most of it, a chassis, transformers etc. I moved a couple months ago and all my electronics gear (scopes, sig gens, soldering gear etc) is all packed up.
        I've looked around and can't find anyone that has a Rocker 15 terror in stock that I can go try out.
        Last edited by gearhead63; 03-26-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

So I checked out those MT15 vids. Good sounding amp, but still not that Orange tone. Orange is just a different, warmer, THICKER, less bright sound. Even running through Vintage30's, which I believe is what they are designed around. I have a small Orange Crush 12 amp to practice on in my trl, since I don't have much space. And it has that tone. And even sounds decent on recordings using the headphone out jack into my DAW.
          Empty Pockets, would you agree on that tonality of your Orange?
          Last edited by gearhead63; 03-26-2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X