banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spray painting a pickup after disappointing "Shop Floor Custom" experience??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray painting a pickup after disappointing "Shop Floor Custom" experience??

Hi,

I patiently waited a month for a Seymour Duncan "Shop Floor Custom" trembucker JB and a 4 conductor '59. The pickups arrived the day before the factory closed for the Covid 19. Unfortunately they sent me a humbucker, not a trembucker and a 59 with 2 conductors not 4 conductors, not what I asked in my order
    The order had to be filled out manually through an authorized dealer, unfortunately you can't just order them directly, so now Sweetwater blames them for screwing up, and the SD factory is closed so I was left with nothing; it would be much easier if they had more colors available through their website like DiMarzio or Bare Nuckles but anyway.

So I just ordered the regular JB trembucker and a 59 4 conductors from Amazon, I was wondering if I can just use Spray paint and if this will affect the pickup sound in any way? I was just thinking to use Rustoleum from the Home Depot the one with the primer built in
    Thank you!!

Re: Spray painting a pickup after disappointing "Shop Floor Custom" experience??

#1. Don't hate because Corona virus.
    #2 Don't hate because Big Box online.
    #3 What color? Just curious. Won't you be angry if BanjoMikez has them...
    #4 Yes you can paint them. No big deal.
    *** effect the sound - seriously?

The only thing about paint is depending on the height, your picking, etc, the paint can come off.

Pickup Bobbin Toppers are another option.

Also - again - another example of Duncan poor performance. these are much more frequent than they used to be...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Re: Spray painting a pickup after disappointing "Shop Floor Custom" experience??

It's kind of hard to do a good job. It's a lot of hassle. Check and see if you can find the colors you want through banjomikes or other sellers.

I had a half an hour conversation with the owner at my local shop about all the specs I wanted for a shop floor custom. They sent me a STOCK PUP. I was like WTF IS THIS? I couldn't believe that ****.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Thank you, you are right. Most likely the paint will peal off and it will look like crap. I love the ones they sent but they are not what I ordered lol. I also wanted the dark pole pieces that's why I was thinking about spray paint. I feel bad for them getting closed but I am sure they'll be back to normal in a few months, hopefully weeks.
        It sucks that they are so backwards about offering more color options, and the way you have to order them is like they're stuck in the 50's.
        Last edited by Edward203; 03-24-2020, 08:23 PM.

Comment

It will never look right up close.
          What color are the pickups and what color do you want them to be?

Comment

I tried to upload a pic here but for some reason I am getting an error. They are regular JB/59, glossy black, silver poles. I wanted black matte bobbins like the Black Winters with the dark pole pieces and the black SD logo,that's what I ordered. Well, if I spray paint it it will be just matte black or dark gray but I think it will look like crap unless I spend a lot of time and order clear coat spray cans and stuff like that, ugh, I'll just let them be I guess.

Comment

Just return the order. You shouldn't have to risk ruining it because they screwed up. Look for what you actually want on eBay in the meantime.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, I'm sending them back to Sweetwater. The ones I was going to paint are the regular ones I just got from Amazon. Sweetwater apologized but I still have to drop them off at the UPS store and wait for them to process the refund but that's another story.

Comment

You can use scotchbrite to Matten the gloss and swap the nickel pole pieces for black ones yourself. All but the black logo can be achieved with 5 minutes of elbow grease.

Not saying you should, just that you could.

Comment

I wouldn’t spray paint pickups. You’ve got a mix of polycarbonate/plastic bobbins and metal poles, each which require different paints for adhesion. Spray paints have solvents that who knows whether that’s going to get at the coils and eat the insulation, depending on how good you are with masking. To me, it isn’t worth doing a hack job on hundreds of dollars of pickups for cosmetics. I would just focus on getting the right pickups, if it were me.

Comment

I am sorry it didn't work out, and I get we are in some strange circumstances, but there was obviously a breakdown in the chain.
                      I don't think painting your pickup will look good at a few feet away. I'd say, if you can be patient, wait a few weeks or months until SD re-opens and order what you want from a different dealer, or just call them directly.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have seen a painted pickup that looked pretty sporty at 5 ft away...and has lasted a long time.

And yes - matte would be an easy sand job. Darken poles w/ Sharpie

But in this case - I say hold on until normal returns. Your issue is documented here. I'm guessing they oops'ed it trying to get it out before close.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

+1 on on darkening the poles with a Sharpie. I bet that and scuffing with a green scrubby could get you to where you want.

If you decide to paint, some of the rattlecans are available in a version specially formulated to adhere to plastic. Limited selection of colors but I imagine flat black is likely among them.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

If you want to try them without damaging them, bobbin-toppers are the way to go. Peel off with no damage, but last (in my experience) better than paint.

Larry

Comment

I couldn't find the bobbins toppers. Well the ones SD sent look awesome except that they work on the wrong pickups

I was even thinking about Rustoleum flat black with the primer built it but it will look like crap after a few weeks I'm sure. Painting the poles with a Sharpie will do for now I guess, thanks for the idea.
                              Last edited by Edward203; 03-25-2020, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X